It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murdoch's News Corp Buys Dow Jones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Murdoch's News Corp Buys Dow Jones

investing.reuters.co.uk

CHICAGO, July 31 (Reuters) - Dow Jones & Co. Inc.'s (DJ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) controlling Bancroft family "has accepted" News Corp.'s (NWSa.N: Quote, Profile, Research) $5 billion offer to buy the publisher of the Wall Street Journal, an executive of a Dow Jones unit said on Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Is this the end of free press as we know it? Now Murdoch and Viacom LITERALLY own every major news outlet.

Where is the constitution!

investing.reuters.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
Is this the end of free press as we know it? Now Murdoch and Viacom LITERALLY own every major news outlet.

That's far from true... What about NBC, ABC, CNN, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
That's far from true... What about NBC, ABC, CNN, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, etc., etc., etc.

Oh you are SO right! My mistake. It is not 2 companies that own most to all of it. It is 5 COMPANIES..and now with the new merger that SMALL list is getting smaller.

My bad.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here is another article about WHO OWNS THE NEWS. The other one was vague.

My apologies.

I know this is not a NEW topic per say, but certainly one that deserves a debate every now and again.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well now, this would be the most important news item of the day. I'm sorry to see that yet another American institution is no longer owned by Americans. Chalk up another win for the globalists.

The real loss here will be the Wall Street Journal. Murdoch has a long history of tanting the news papers that he buys. We should not expect to see him treat the WSJ any differently. that's unfortunate because we'll be losing one of our better non-governmental economic forcasters. From now on we will have to view the WSJ's economic 'advice' with some trepidation because it won't be Americans looking out for Americans.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I just don't understand how a merger like this can be legal.

Murdoch is known to be ruthless and a bottom line player. I just don't want to see Paris Hilton on the cover of the WSJ. Is that so wrong?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Apparently the Dow Jones Director agreed with the consensus on this thread when he resigned over this issue a week or so ago: "I'm very worried that Dow Jones unique journalistic values will long-term strongly suffer after the proposed sale." - Dieter von Holtzbrinck

Not that I was a fan of the Wall St.Journal to begin with. It has been my experience that I get more reality from scanning ATS economic threads, than from a years worth of CNBC, or the other mainstream media outlets.

Long live ATS!...Viva the Internet!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hurray! Does this mean we will get more fine quality writings like those displayed in "The Sun" newspaper??..

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I just don't understand how a merger like this can be legal.

Why not?

Companies are not government institutions, and therefore can do what they please
when it comes to buying other companies or merging.

Of course when they start getting so big that they hold multiple monopolies
the government does tend to step-in and break them up into different companies.

Personally I don't read the Wall Street Journal and generally dislike the topics
it reports on, that being stocks and such (I know, it's more than that), so it does'nt
really bother me to much.

I am more or less neutral towards Murdoch, since he's not that terrible, especially
compared to others, that's not to say I especially like him though.

top topics

join