It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Great Grand father was an odd fellow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i was wondering if there is anyone that is a member of IOOF could tell me if there is a way to join if the only member you know that is blood related to you is dead

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
seems anyone can join if they have a sponsor. look up one of your grandfather's friends who is a member and have him sponsor you.

www.ioof.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I would but its my Great grandfather so he and all his freinds are dead along with my grandparents so the only person i know that has minor knowledge of IOOF is my father but all he knows is that my great grandpa was a member

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
selective reading, I missed the great part. My bad.

check out the local chapter I guess. Maybe they'll take a shine to you and offer you an invite.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
my father is an odd fellow...

easy to join, just walk in the lodge and ask.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My Dad was a member of the IOOF (back in the 50s and 60s).

He let his membership lapse, I guess, when we moved out of state.

All they did, AFAIK, is go bowling together (duckpins). They probably did charity work, too.

He got into it through my maternal grandfather who was a Mason.

I remember summer nights when we'd drive downtown and go into the lodge, marked by the long sign with the flouorescent light depicting three links of a chain (Tri-Links) over the door on a back street.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am an Oddfellow! and so was my grandfathers, grandfather!! anyway find the lodge where your great grandfather was a member, and if it still active they should have him on record of some sort and theres your in?? or the Grand Lodge of your state? F.L.T.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
richmond, il
ben hur lodge
they have an old "church" (could be wrong) or hall where they meet
they have their sign out front. they do a lot of service work in the small small town, but they are secretive, ive tried to talk to them with certain lingo, and they get angry, but in this area they are all bikers, harley guys, "tough guys", and it seems to join they get quite a ride before getting initiated, richmond has some lonely cornfields!!

oh and for non-believers
im from a masonic off-shoot fraternity, so i have an idea what it entails, and from what i have learned in my short life, the smaller the town the larger the secrecy, and the harder the initiation

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cesar1981
im from a masonic off-shoot fraternity, so i have an idea what it entails, and from what i have learned in my short life, the smaller the town the larger the secrecy, and the harder the initiation

What do you mean by the "harder the initiation"? The Masonic initiation is very dignified and serious. No horse-play. We save that for the Shrine (unfortunately)

What "Masonic off-shoot" do you belong to?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
oddfellows is a great organization. I am a member and love it. It is not for putting on heirs its an organization that helps others. I encourage all to join even masons. I have a long list of family that were either one or the other. Email me and i will find you a place to go if you cant find one. Later clint. [email protected]

top topics

join