It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Illegal Immigrants work harder than Americans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I keep seeing in discussions about how illegal immigrants work harder than Americans and how they only take the jobs that Americans will not.
Who here feels this way and why?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I dont think that immigrants work any harder than the average American.

They take jobs that Americans will not do because the wage for the job is too low.

Illegal immigration is creating a permanent underclass thats the biggest problem I have with it. I feel that the immigrant laborer is exploited and that businesses by suppressing wages via immigrant labor the average American is getting exploited also.

Why hire a union construction worker for 15 usd an hour when you can hire undocumented migrant laborer for half of that.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yes, absolutely. Illegals DO work harder than the average American worker. But keep in mind the sort of work that illegal immigrants traditionally do: yard work, construction work, menial labor of all sorts.

Unscrupulous employers are exploiting the illegal immigrant labor pool. They give jobs to illegals at wages that are, typically, far below the wage that the same employer could hire Americans at.

Consider that the illegal worker is at the mercy of his employer. If the employer chooses to cheat or even not pay his illegal worker, what recourse does the illegal worker even have? Knowing this, I would suppose that the illegal worker probably works his tail off trying to gain the favor of his "employer" and to make himself otherwise indispensable.

It's a sad state for the illegal worker. In essence, he is allowing himself to be used as slave labor and it's sadder still that his alternative is actually worse.

I don't fault the illegal worker for wanting a better life. I fault the Mexican government for economically raping their people for the last several centuries and I fault the American government for standing idly by and taking advantage of these people while actually being in bed with the Mexican government.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You are soooo wrong, illegals do not work harder. wrong wrong wrong.

They are very dependable though. You can count on them being there every day right on time and they will not complaign as much as americans.
Americans work just as hard or harder though. IMO Americans work harder.
Illegal immigrants have a slow steady pace for whatever it is they are doing. I was a assistant farm manager for a tomato grower in s. florida for 4 years and ive worked with thousands of illegal immigrants so Im very familiar with their working habits.

btw you would probably be surprised at how much those tomato pickers make per day. Lot more than minumim wage.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well over here in England i aint meet any illegals to my knowledge, but i have meet alot of polish people working in the UK now, and they are all good workers, never late, never take a day off, and work just as hard as every one else, good to have them around. O and the bulk of them where i live are atending night classes to learn English, There great people and great friends.

Take Care Every One, Vix

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
You are soooo wrong, illegals do not work harder. wrong wrong wrong.

They are very dependable though. You can count on them being there every day right on time and they will not complaign as much as americans.
Americans work just as hard or harder though. IMO Americans work harder.
Illegal immigrants have a slow steady pace for whatever it is they are doing. I was a assistant farm manager for a tomato grower in s. florida for 4 years and ive worked with thousands of illegal immigrants so Im very familiar with their working habits.

btw you would probably be surprised at how much those tomato pickers make per day. Lot more than minumim wage.

I think you are totally wrong, I have worked with both, Hispanics (not necessarily illegal) and americans and I can tell you that Hispanics are extremely hard workers, no matter what the job is. Now on the other hand I have had the experience of with working with allot of americans and their work ethic doesn't come close, especially if you have had the experience of working with union workers. Unions are a huge downfall, they hike the cost of projects tremendously yet their productivity is extremely low. The biggest kicker for me was working on a union project and they demanded having a union "elevator operator", the building had 2 floors and it was an everyday run of the mill elevator

top topics

join