It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOHO Weird Image today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
There have been a couple of weird images on the SOHO website today. Take a gander:

And then another with weird blocks on it:

Here's a link to other images for the past few days:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Can someone explain what these are? I am just getting into the whole SOHO thing and I want ATS advise. Maybe this is normal but I don't know. Also could someone elaborate on SOHO images as a whole as I would like to learn more. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Many of the SOHO images are time lasped, which causes the stars to "streak". Other streaks, are more than likely meterorite showers, and such. As for the solar flares, those are normal, and the black anomaly in the right side of the sun, is most likely caused by the camera. The blocks are from the digital camera, called pixelisation. It happens with all digital video equipment.

I have noticed it as well, when I got into SOHO wen it was first released.

Nothing new, but always niffty to see, and confusing for those not familar with the program.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The SOHO mission rocks. Some of the time-lapse animations are a bit scary when you consider how much energy is involved... it used to be "invisible to us" in detail at one time in my living memory.

Since the data from the onboard COSTEP (Comprehensive Suprathermal and Energetic Particle Analyzer) device has now been integrated into the SOHO predictive data-matrix reasonable space weather monitoring and prediction is "doable".

Might just save some lives and bucks. You gatta love when someone figures out how to use existing data-sets in new ways to "round-out" the understanding and develop insight. Phenomenal value. This Posner fellow is brill' - electrons before ions.

Couple of links' at NASA Spacecraft Aids in Forecast of Solar Radiation Storms

and one from the SOHO site with a nifty graphic that may add some perspective for some in regard to space weather SOHO Hotshots Page.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 31-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I never knew there was such a thing as SOHO but I have a small partical recall from a few years back of "you can find answers in SOHO." All I can say there has to be something in those images.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Soho is the probe sent to check out the sun. It has picked up some amazing pictures. Some of the pictures of prominances are quite spectacular

top topics

join