It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

student charged with hate crime for flushing koran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

student charged with hate crime for flushing koran

wcbstv.com

A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday on hate-crime charges after he threw a Quran in a toilet at Pace University on two separate occasions, police said.
Muslim activists had called on Pace University to crack down on hate crimes after the incidents. As a result, the university said it would offer sensitivity training to its students.

The school was accused by Muslim students of not taking the incident seriously enough at first.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ny post.com

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
the thing i zoned in on is 'hate crime' and now the university will over 'sensativity training' to students...
when did this become a cream puff world?

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

i guess what i am getting at is 'hate crime' is a bit much as is sensativity training....dontcha think?

[edit on 31-7-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It's a PC world...

"sensitivity training" How about we learn to be a little, oh I don't know, thicker skinned?

How is it hurting anyone when a religious text, of any sort, is abused? Now if the kid was actively beating a Muslim kid with a baseball bat, ok, a hate crime charge would be warrented.

A book? Phooey.

It's a PC world...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Funny how we applaud the freedoms of speech in some issues and condemn others when the issue is not of our liking.

Is ok to burn American flags as a freedom of speech, but flushing the koran is a hate crime.

Shame America.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Funny how we applaud the freedoms of speech in some issues and condemn others when the issue is not of our liking.

Is ok to burn American flags as a freedom of speech, but floshing the coran is a hate crime.

Shame America.

it's crazy how soft and sensative people are.....

i think i might have to go to the book store today, get myself one of these fantastic books, then make a youtube video......i think i just might have to.....test the waters you see.

friggin hate crime.....that is unreal.....sensativity training for the college kids....bwuahahahahaah

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As regards the desecration of any symbolic object, be it a religious text, or a flag, whatever... I really would rather none of these things happen, because while it shouldn't bother people, the fact is it does bother people, sometimes lots and lots of people...

Symbols mean something, they hold a special place in peoples hearts and minds...that's why people are so easily inflamed by things done to them, whatever they may be. They may indeed be only cloth, or paper and cardboard...but to many they are so much more than that. They represent what they, the people, are deep down inside. Common courtesy and respect for differing views of the world, should prevent us from doing things like this, but if they are going to do it anyway, we need to realize that a reaction is precisely what they are after. The grander the reaction, the better the desecrater likes it.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Do I sense a double standard of the highest degree here? Why, I think I do!
Only in America would we uphold the burning of the flag on one hand and arrest some student for drowning a book on the other.

The first question that comes to my mind is, did the book belong to him, meaning did he purchase a copy, steal it from a Muslim student or remove it from the campus library?

If we are going to live by one set of rules here I feel the most he could be charged with is either vandalism to campus property (attempting to plug plumbing) or petty theft.

Good find Boondock!, I know we can count on you to defend this "aggravated flusher" with as much enthusiasm as you did the flag-burner!!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky Eyes
Good find Boondock!, I know we can count on you to defend this "aggravated flusher" with as much enthusiasm as you did the flag-burner!!

yes you can and you have no idea my friend....i just got back from borders with a koran and a bible.....what do do now???

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think the hate crime arrest is absurd.

Sure, he's a jerk - arrest him for vandalism or something, or let the school dish out some kind of administrative punishment.

But "hate crimes" laws, as much as I understand the rationale for them, are ripe for abuse and selective enforcement.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Whose korans were those? If he went out and bought them then slap him with a warning. If he tooks the schools koran then smack him with a charge of vandalism. If he took some muslims koran and threw it in the toilet I wont mind if he gets the hate crime charge.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Whose korans were those? If he went out and bought them then slap him with a warning. If he tooks the schools koran then smack him with a charge of vandalism. If he took some muslims koran and threw it in the toilet I wont mind if he gets the hate crime charge.

i agree with the vandalism charge IF they were not his korans....this thread has got me thinking back about a month ago when those boys cut the hair of a sikh boy...

people were in here defending the kids that did it by calling it a harmless prank....
maybe it is the religion getting in the way of real life stuff. i unno

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
i just got back from borders with a koran and a bible.....what do do now???

Hmmm... May I suggest a little social experiment? Select a patsy, anyone gullible enough will do, and send them out to a metropolitan area with aforementioned tomes. When they reach a place that contains the most culturally diverse crowd, merely hold them up for all to view, along with a box of matches, make suggestive movements with his props and see who tackles him first, a Christian, a Muslim or a suddenly fervent fire marshal.

Something tells me that it would illicit a bigger response than than the previously discussed masked banner burner.

But seriously, I can't accept that the student be charged with a hate crime either. Even with the ambiguity of the charge, (hate crime?, thought crime?, where does it end?) there was no assault involved, no infidelic invectives were hurled at anyone. In fact, there wasn't even an assaultive alliteration committed, which, if there was a crime against, I would be guilty of with this post.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I didn't see anything saying that the Korans were stolen or anything like that.

If anything he should be punished for messing up their toilets.

Anything else is stupid.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I think it was a hate crime.
I think there is a double standard

Flush a Koran or bible or burn a flag-deliberately to cause offense or goad-and it should be punished. The kind of people that do this are morons who revel in creating discord.

Of course on the spectrum of hate crimes it's far more minor than beating someone for their faith, ethnicity or sexuality, and the punishment should appropriately reflect that but I can see where people are coming from with this.

It's like someone wiping their a**e on a photgraph of your mother, it's intended to provoke and is despicable for that alone.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by ubermunche]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
1. It's a friggin book. I have a lot of books and things that I like, but if someone flushed one of them down the toilet I wouldn't start filing hate crime against them. To put it in another perspective, i'm not religious but music is my life, that's part of what I live for. But if some punk took one of my favourite CDs and flushed it down the toilet I wouldn't be calling the police, i'd give him a smack in the mouth myself. Which leads me onto...

2. Why the hell do people always have to get the bloody police involved. It's like people just love creating a bit of drama whenever they can, calling "hate-crime!" at every given opportunity because it makes them feel special. If someone insults your beliefs, give them a good sorting out for yourself ffs, don't start abusing the country's over politically correct legal systems.

3. This happened at a university, right? Why do they enrol idiots like that who feel the need to flush books down the toilet? That's the sort of thing you'd hear from a 7 year olds class, not a university which is meant to be home to maturing and intelligent people.

4. Instead of having all these PC laws against silly things like this, we should be able to live in a society in which there are no stupid laws to abuse, but people aren't so immature that this sort of thing happens anyway. In other words, society needs to grow up!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Which it wont and unfortuanately not everyones big enough and hard enough to take on the bullies which is why we need laws in the first place.

Plus if a Muslims or a group of them had attacked the guy we would now be having a thread about how violent and unreasonable Islam's followers are. Another double standard.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche
Which it wont and unfortuanately not everyones big enough and hard enough to take on the bullies which is why we need laws in the first place.

Bullying can be dealt with by referral or telling the police that the guy was vandalising their property or whatever. I just think that it's lame the way people scream 'hate crime' aallll the time. On the other hand, I also think hate crimes are lame. I guess we're never going to get rid of either of those.

Plus if a Muslims or a group of them had attacked the guy we would now be having a thread about how violent and unreasonable Islam's followers are. Another double standard.

That's true, but the thread would obviously be started by a biased person who didn't have all the facts but just wanted to make muslims look bad. If we had all the facts for that scenario then maybe we would see that their attack was justified, or at least partially.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm not going to cry for the poor 23-year-old moron who keeps stealing another person's holy book and flushing it down a toilet. He reaps what he sows. The man was arrested and charged with criminal mischief and aggravated harassment. Both accurate charges.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I started a thread on this yesterday:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Double standard, no doubt at all.

Originally posted by Boondock78
....i just got back from borders with a koran and a bible.....what do do now???

It's curious that you decided to get both books.... don't want to be labeled as biased?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
1. It's a friggin book. I have a lot of books and things that I like, but if someone flushed one of them down the toilet I wouldn't start filing hate crime against them. To put it in another perspective, i'm not religious but music is my life, that's part of what I live for. But if some punk took one of my favourite CDs and flushed it down the toilet I wouldn't be calling the police, i'd give him a smack in the mouth myself. Which leads me onto...

4. .......................

Haha well said, whats wrong with the world, everyone is crazy and weird these days. Its all just, SILLY.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join