It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Robots To Battle For Military Prize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

U.K. Robots To Battle For Military Prize

news.bbc.co.uk

For two weeks during the summer of 2008, an army of autonomous robots will march across the Wiltshire countryside.
The machines will compete in the UK Ministry of Defence Grand Challenge, a competition to find new technology to support ground troops in urban areas.

Fourteen teams have now been picked as finalists to go head to head in a range of trials next year.
Winning designs include a swarm of miniature helicopters and a host of sensor-laden unmanned aerial vehicles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gisuser.com

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I don't know how often the U.K. has been doing things like this. Mean the contest with a prize for the purpose of advancing military technology. This contest from what was read sounds to be a small scale aerial vehicle for surveillance contest. So the new technology will probably come in the sensor systems. I think this is a great way to get people inventing new things, so I hope the contest will prove beneficial.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

I don't know how often the U.K. has been doing things like this. Mean the contest with a prize for the purpose of advancing military technology. This contest from what was read sounds to be a small scale aerial vehicle for surveillance contest. So the new technology will probably come in the sensor systems. I think this is a great way to get people inventing new things, so I hope the contest will prove beneficial.

news.bbc.co.uk

Did you ever see a BBC series called 'Robot Wars' ?

I remember seeing an episode where one of the commentators said 'I wonder how long it will be untill the Army picks up on some of these ideas'
Looks like they have!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Chorlton,
yes I watched robot wars as often as I could. But what I was wondering if the UK does is offer a prize for people to invent a new technology or application to solve a problem. I know is the past some things might have been done when it comes to ship navigating and such, but was mostly wondering about technology for military application. The U.S. has done that for robot vehicles. That has been reported on the BBC. There is a current challenge out for longer life battery designs.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Chorlton,
yes I watched robot wars as often as I could. But what I was wondering if the UK does is offer a prize for people to invent a new technology or application to solve a problem. I know is the past some things might have been done when it comes to ship navigating and such, but was mostly wondering about technology for military application. The U.S. has done that for robot vehicles. That has been reported on the BBC. There is a current challenge out for longer life battery designs.

I dont know really. Usually when someone in the UK invents something, they try to get the Governments attention, the Government ignores them and they then go to the US and become millionaires !

Look at the HOTOL idea. The chap that invented the engine and HOTOL idea was a brit. He took it to HMG and they said "HMMM nice but we cant afford it" They slapped a 'Top Secret' labelon it and the chap had to sneak away to the US to get it into any design phase. Thats what I heard, I would like to hear the full story.
Then theres my Hero Professor Eric Laithwaite, a man I had the pleasure to meet on several occasions, he invented the Linear Motor, he also did a lot of work towards anti gravity machines but had to go to the US for any of his stuff and ideas to be realised
www.alternativescience.com...

I actually saw him do his magic with the car wheel and drill once

I mean just look at the Jet engine and how we gave that to the US?

I sometimes think the UK Government just doesnt care.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Chorlton,
I am not familiar with HOTOL, but I will look at that science page you posted the link to. It does look very interesting.
It is not just the Britons that have brought inventions to the U.S. to be developed. Yes the Britons have done allot, the Multi Cavity Magnetron is one of my favorite examples. However there is also the Russian Sikorsky, and the German scientist that ended up in the U.S. after WW2.
All this being said I still like the idea of offering a prize to create a new technology or develop a new one.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The link I put was to some stuff by Eric Laithwaite

Theres tons of stuff on Google about HOTOL

top topics

join