It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LUCK....do you believe it exists?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think we all have opportunities to be put in good or bad luck situations. What makes a person lucky or unlucky is determined by 1: whether or not you perceive yourself to be lucky or unlucky, and 2: Whether or not your subconscious alerts your conscious mind to a good/bad situation.

Now if I can put that in simpler terms...

If you get in the habit of expecting bad luck all your life, your subconscious might not alert you to a potential 'bad luck event', such as a car accident. In fact your subconscious might actively BLOCK such things from your conscious perception in order to fulfill your expected bad luck.

Had you perceived yourself as lucky, you would have had a higher chance of noticing the old blind lady turning onto the road before it happened, therefore avoiding it entirely.

Apply the same thing to good luck and opportunity. Some people see opportunity all the time, others don't. That doesn't mean it isn't there for the unlucky ones.

Of course there are certain cases of people being born in 3rd world countries, retarded, disabled, etc. I still try to look on the bright side though. If it's harder to accomplish something, that makes the reward even greater when you do accomplish it. How fun would it be to be born into a rich family compared to being born in a poor family and becoming a billionaire? Big difference in fulfillment of one's life, which IMO is what this life is all about.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I see your point Kruel, I suppose it all depends on what an individual values in their own life. Many times I have heard expressed the point of view that we are all here to learn, that we are who we are BECAUSE of our trials and tribulations rather than in spite of them.

Surely, success earned is sweeter than having things simply given to you. Im sure a great deal of the human experience is meant to be focused around adaptation and a willingness to change in order to accomplish things in life. To successfully navigate such a perilous and dangerous world, man is forced to think, forced to overcome and forced to embrace his obstacles and limitations in order to truly succeed.

Maybe those who face a tougher lot in life are what past life proponants would consider to be older, more experiences souls who are travelling a more complex, difficult path in life. Sort of like being in fifth grade versus tenth grade, the curriculum becomes much more difficult based off of ones previous experience, in this case past life experience.

It could be argued that these people (disabled, poor, mentally retarded) are placed upon a more difficult path because they have already surpassed the earlier, easier stages to life and are now operating on a more advanced platform. Where as the rest of us who are lucky enough to live an easy life are actually the weaker, inexperienced souls, or the "novices" of the etheral realm. Interesting!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't view luck so much as something that happens to come my way once in a while. Actually, after thinking about it a bit before writing this, it seems to me that there are two factors at work in what I see as luck.

First you have things that happen by pure chance. If you were to find a $20 bill laying on the ground, to me that is simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time. There are too many things that would have to happen for a trait, luck in this case, to be able to influence our environment. Take the $20 bill again. Let's say you found it in the isle at the grocery store. First someone has to possess the bill, then they would have to bring at least that one $20 with them to the store, then just happen to lose track of it and not notice when it falls to the floor. I just can't imagine a concept called luck as being real, and able to steer events like that.

The other factor I see as being at work here is attitude. Have you ever had one of those days where from the moment you get out of bed everything seems to go poorly? Many people chalk that up to "bad luck". I refuse to go through an entire day dealing with "bad luck". Usually it's pretty obvious when one of those days is getting started for me. So what I do is I stop and I make a conscious decision, even telling myself mentally, that I am going to have a good day. It works too. That might sound kind of hokey or cheesy, so let me add one more thing. I'm not talking about anything like that book, "The Secret". This is very simple. On those bad days I always have a negative attitude, my ambition is low, stuff like that. So when I pause to make that effort to change things, it's more of a mental adjustment than anything. Bad luck? Not at all!

So personally, I don't consider myself lucky. My life seems average, but I am content for the most part. I can't complain at all. So I guess I would call myself fortunate rather than lucky.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I believe that what we call "luck" does exist. In fact I know it exists. There is no way that all my "luck" could be circumstances. Whenever I need or want something, it happens. It can be money or material things, and it comes out of nowhere, but just in the amount, or what I wanted. Just this week, I needed some money to pay for an engine repair, and today I get a check for the same amount, unexpected. It happens all the time. I can not explain it, and others find it hard to believe.

I also should have been seriousley hurt or worse, on many occasions, but just made it through unscathed in the last moment. Its so uncanny, I feel as if its someone or something that watches over me, and gives me just what breaks I need or just enough to satisfy my wishes.

Others may not believe in "luck" or such, and thats fine. Maybe they have none. I just know that its not normal, and not that many things can just happen right at the right time, or just in the right place at the right time. Its beyond a coincidence.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

Apply the same thing to good luck and opportunity. Some people see opportunity all the time, others don't. That doesn't mean it isn't there for the unlucky ones.

So is it all determined by our own mind set?

In order to be a "lucky" person one would have to have a pre-disposed view of themselves as lucky. Or at the very least an open mind toward having good luck?

I realize that negativity is a very powerful thing, especially in regard to how a person views the world. Some people say that if you are a positive person and act in a positive manner, good things will come your way. So naturally bad luck would work in a similar way.

I do know this, I have seen people who have the most positive outlook on the world and are the best and kindest souls in the world, and their luck is about as awful as it could ever get.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm not one to usually chime in on this type of subject, but I'm going to this time.

I do believe outlook has a lot to do with luck. My own personal experiences seem to tell me this.

The last 7 or 8 years or so I seem to be at the bottom of everything. Job, life in general, things just never seem to go my way. I'm not a victum of circumstance, just the promotion went to the other guy instead of me. I was even thinking I was followed around all day by evil spirits or something, nothing, and I mean nothing worked out for me. Every goal I would plan and prepare for would just slip out of my hands. hell it's been 8 years since I've had a real job! Can't even get an interview. The only way I can keep alive is working contracts for pimps like RHI ect,..

Health issues are a constant and lost all my wonderful Bon Jovi hair.

I have worked hard and I have had critical successes, both in life and at work. Never seem to quite make that next step that I need to make. I look at my boss and realize he was just in the right place at the right time to get that promotion.

Then I'm just liek the heck with it, this my life some how I'm responsible. This isn't a test run this is my life. I work harder and cut what's left of my hair really short.

I'll let you all know how it goes with the rest of it.

Only thing you can do is smile and roll with it.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Luck exists but only for those that don't know where it comes from. Others know that they earn the good things that others call luck.

edited for no reason at all.

[edit on 26/8/08 by Prote]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join