It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LUCK....do you believe it exists?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
People throw the concept of luck around as if it is a real aspect of their lives, some seem to have very good luck while others tend to just be crapped out all the time....always getting the short end of the stick. Ever know anyone who just seemed like he/she was a victim of bad luck? That person who just never seemed to catch a break? Then we all know someone who seems to have everything go right for them, always in the right place at the right time. Is luck all about perception of an individual person based on the events that have occured previously in that persons life? Or is it a real actual cosmic force that somehow manipulates our fortunes directly?

Ever see someone survive a situation that they should not have lived through? Have you ever been in a desperate sitaution where something completely out of nowhere happened by freak occurance and saved the day? Is it luck....or is it fate....divine intervention...or just pure old fashioned chance? Would love to hear about anyone elses experiences with the concept of luck...good and bad...and what your personal take is on this subject. Is luck real? Or are we the ones who create our own luck?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I believe in luck. I often have good luck but it does seem bad at times. Last week, I won a gift certificate. Today I got a letter from the insurance company with a check in it. I don't remember getting an unexpected check from the insurance company for many years if ever. Sometimes when driving through traffic, I just barely make the light. Of course that could all be reasoned away with the odds. I'm bound to get stuck by the traffic lights every once in a while.

My older brother now, he moved to Ohio. Ohio had massive blizzards so deep that full grown apples trees were buried under the snow. He moved to Washington state. Remember Mt. St. Helens? He could see the volcano from where he lives. It blew up and he described it as looking like the last days as black fingers seemed to be twirling down from above. Then after living there for a few years or somewhere he had a little peace. Then he moved to South Carolina. Remember hurricane Hugo? He lost all the trees in his yard as a tornado spun off and tore up his yard. I guess you could call all that coincidence and it could have been worse.

Remember the year Florida got hit by 4 hurricanes? My brother-in-law was going to job interviews 4 different times. Within about a week of visiting each area, a hurricane hit the location he just interviewed at. Maybe that wasn't coincidence or luck though. Maybe someone was sending him a message.

When I was younger, I had another brother-in-law get angry when playing some games involving dice. He told us he wasn't going to play anymore if we continued to be so lucky. Maybe it's not luck. Maybe there is something supernatural going on behind the scenes. I just hope it's in my favor.

Maybe I should throw in that I once had a tornado coming at me while I had been sleeping in bed. The walls shook and I wasn't exactly that calm. It went right above me directly above the roof destroying any tree in it's path but did not damage our house one bit.

Another time, out of some kind of weird luck, I once had a dust devil form around me and I stayed in the center for almost a whole minute since it was moving with me. I guess you could argue that was bad luck since I got some dust in my face before I walked into my dorm building.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Luck

I used to think I was really lucky - I was youger and had a very positive outlook on life.

Now as life has taken its toll over the years I rarely feel lucky.

Although many top sports people attribute luck to the fact that the more they practice the luckier they become.

I can still count my blessings as I have a lovely house, 2 brilliant sons, live in a lovely part of the world and have my health - # I am REALLY lucky!!!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I have to stop and wonder, if luck actually exists how does one persons luck get determined? If it is a cosmic or divine type of thing, what would make one persons luck good while another persons not so good? Does it act like karma, where one would earn luck based off of their actions and the good that they cause in the world? Or is it just some random thing that occurs without any explanation? I definately consider myself a lucky person, I have gotten out of a few tight situations as a result of occurances that take place out of the blue. I believe that my life was saved due to sheer luck, I had a serious ATV accident five years ago. Out of probably 500 excursions that I had gone out on, this was literally the only day that I decided to wear a helmet (I remember it well because I had been complaining of the fit..first time wearing it and all). I managed to flip the ATV end over end around what I assume must have been ten times at a high rate of speed. My head was slammed to a gravel surface, because I had worn the helmet I survived certain death (the helmet had grooves in the side almost 1/4 of an inch deep where my skull would have been) and I escaped with scratches and bruised ribs. Cant explain what made me wear that helmet still to this day. But on the other side of the coin, I know guys who seem to have a cloud that follows them, they lose constantly at everything they try, whatever can possibly go wrong for them always does, what is it that dictates a persons fortune? I have to believe the part about it being a result of hard work, repetition etc but many many times it seems to be much more to it than that.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Your subconscious programming is the cause of whether you're lucky or not. Those underlying thoughts and feelings that you usually don't consciously notice are what attract whatever experiences that you have.

You can compare yourself with a computer. Your conscious minds are the programs and applications you run. Your subconscious is the operating system, the brain the cpu etc...

Lets say that "luck" is an application running on windows xp. It probably can't run on windows 98. It's incompatible. To be able to run the "luck" program, you need to upgrade to xp.

To live a lucky life, you need to have your subconscious upgraded to include that. One way is either taking affirmations or question-affirmations and writing them down hundreds of times. Either a few hundred or thousand times in a short time period (days), or tens of times per day over a longer time period (at least a month). There are other ways though.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
(in a terrible southern hick accent) "Gloom, despair and agony on me... hard luck and trouble is all I ever see.... if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all... gloom, despair and agony on me. "

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
LUCK....do you believe it exists? Yes I belive it does exists within the human mind. Humans have been programed to think of all things as either good or bad. Good or bad luck if you will.
IF it wasnt for bad luck Id have no luck at all

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
So from the looks of it the general opinion seems to be that luck is man made, or all manufactured in the brain. How then, does one explain miracles, and if one were to believe in "God" then wouldn't that naturally mean that you would also believe God is all watching all knowing all powerful and that any fortune that you encounter would be a direct act or at least in direct accordance with this higher being? Is luck just another word for divine intervention? And if the universe and all of its laws may be broken down into simple mathematic formulas, what are the numerical odds of luck being for or against a person? And I still say that some people are absolutely lucky and many on the other hand are purely unlucky people, there is no other way to describe the events that transpire in their day to day life. Is it possible for one person to be favored by God, the universe, whatever higher entity, and another person to be completely out of favor? Are some people just cursed from birth? I know it sounds a bit primative to even entertain these notions, but the Greeks, Aztecs and Romans weighed heavily upon fortune and the favoring of the Gods etc...I just wonder...could they have been right?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have studied statistics and probability quite in-depth, so I am rather inclined to say there is no such thing as luck. I have tried every technique and willed as hard as I could to win the lottery, but I just couldn't overcome the 1 in 13 million odds.

There are "statistical miracles" where someone would appear to be extremely lucky, but they are still falling within the laws of probability.

Note you also just came up with every event you can think of where you were lucky, but you are forgetting the millions of times you weren't lucky. You are forgetting all the red lights you've had to wait at, all the questions you got wrong on tests back in school, all the times you slipped and fell, had to walk in the rain, etc. It's also rather a loose term to deem something "lucky" as any positive event that occurs to you.

I would consider myself quite lucky, but I really have nothing to back that up with. More than anything, I think I make some quite amazing educated guesses.

Anyone can have what appears to be luck in the short-term, but over the long-term everything will even out towards it's normal probability. If you really want to test it, go roll (non-weighted) dice 200 to 500 times for yourself.

[edit on 7/31/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I personaly don't beleive in luck. To me, everything happens for a reason

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
hi black ops
reading your atv accident and the helmut story, i know what you mean...
my last motorbike accident was at 120mph.. i was at work and had to go out and took the bike. all i was wearing was jeans and a light jacket, i wasnt going far and thought putting my gloves on was a waste of time but something was telling me to wear them, so i did.
anyway, i was passing 2 cars about 90mph when the bike suddenly went into a tank slapper, i accelerated hard to try and break the tank slapper but it beat me, which is why i was doing 120mph when i was threw off the bike, have you seen the extreme skiers trying to ski down a mountain (nutters) and mess up and end up rag dolling all the way down, that is how i travelled 100yrds down the road and i remember the whole time. the gloves, i would have certainly lost fingers without them, when i eventually stopped rag dolling down the road i was in bad shape, thumbs and fingers dislocated and very black plus a lot of road rash but the gloves saved my hands. got to hospital and found i had broken ribs and 3 compressed fractures in my neck and that is the last time i have been on a bke, funny thing is, i allways KNEW i would never die on a bike and i mean i honestly knew, i dont know how or why, i just did and it came true.
if i believed in luck, my accident would not have happened or suffer the pains that i suffer today because of that single accident but i honestly believe i was helped by SOMETHING or SOMEONE that day..
there is not to many people who can say they survived a 120mph accident and messed about for a few hours before going to the hospital and being told they have just broken their neck.
no i dont believe in luck

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
As a poker player, I'd thought I would chime in with my thoughts on luck. To me, luck is very similar to time. Luck itself doesn't exist, but it is our perception of luck that we experience. Luck is the history of recent random occurances; in your favor, for good, and not in your favor, for bad.

When you percieve your self to be in a rut of bad luck, you usually bring more upon yourself, if I want good luck I try to just throw the concept of luck out the window, and just think positively. Happy people don't receive as much bad luck, because when you are happy you are less inclined to be thinking about such things in the first place.

Maybe it just sounds like rambling, but it makes sense in my head!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I'm so incredibly lucky. I don't know if it's luck or a god, but I know I am lucky as hell.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
No one will ever be a true believer in luck unless they're a victim of the bad kind. Only the ignorant, mislead, naive and gullible believe that those who have success in life are those who worked to have it...

There are forces in this world that are far greater and stronger than any amount of perserverance and determination to succeed that a mere mortal can muster up.

Yes, "luck" is a very real thing. Those who have positive luck will only accredit their good fortunes to hard work and dedication. Those who suffer from endless, unexplainable and bizarre failure continuously... know the truth.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
u remeber when all people say help yourself and god will help you then?
i think its best to prepare and do what u must to eliminate the need of luck
and yea i think luck exist,and o i want to know how to be more lucky so much^^
its just that sometimes such things happen in our lifes u cant say luck dosnt exist
u know what im talking about?
liek if u didnt do that,this wouldnt had happend on that day u wouldnt have met this person at this time and such things

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by humbleh
No one will ever be a true believer in luck unless they're a victim of the bad kind. Only the ignorant, mislead, naive and gullible believe that those who have success in life are those who worked to have it...

There are forces in this world that are far greater and stronger than any amount of perserverance and determination to succeed that a mere mortal can muster up.

Yes, "luck" is a very real thing. Those who have positive luck will only accredit their good fortunes to hard work and dedication. Those who suffer from endless, unexplainable and bizarre failure continuously... know the truth.

Yes.....but who or what factor determines who is lucky and who is not?

Is it based on karma? Performance in a past life? Is God punishing some while rewarding others? Or is it just a random spin of the wheel?

Is there such a thing as just being cursed...or "born to lose" as some may say?

Please elaborate.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
hmm i guess we can have a luck percentage when we are born like in some RPG maybe depending on stars and planets if astrology is wright
but even if prediterment destiny exist at some point...and yes IT DOES
couse u can do what u want now right?thats free will u can change the fate of evrything but destiny will always know what u will do u know what im talking about right?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I for one, wish there was an answer.
I know that I have worked hard over the years and 'luck' has certainly not served me well.
Maybe I did do something bad in a past life - thats as good a reason as any for the unfortunate cicumstances that have befallen myself.
All I know is that I have done the best I could, above and beyond in some cases, and yet I am still a loser.
I don't have self esteem issues and in fact I am highly educated, however situationally and finacially I suck through no fault of my own.
Actually , you can blame it on love.
In fact, I did one of those 'do you have psi skills' study tests.
I scored so uncredibly far BELOW the average that is was abnormal!
luck of the draw?
I dunno, but there are certainly people out there that seem to have it easier than others where it counts.
Experience has made me not such a believer in destiny these days.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
luck affects all people.....and all people have lucky and sucky days...but if u think ur unlucky u see only the unlucky stuff
i too thing that i did something very bad at previus life......four raih maybe

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Deleted by poster - too much personal info

[edit on 8/2/07 by BlackOps719]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join