It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the U.S. wont grant independance to Puerto Rico? Free PR now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
As an american citizen born in Puerto Rico, I always have wonder why the US finally moves and do something about PR political status.

I mean it has been more than a 100 years since they acquire the island and at first I serve as an strategic place for the conduction of military exercises and to serve as a deterrent of comunism. But with the cold war over and all the high tech weapons and airplanes, PR does not serve that purposes anymore. Besides all the major military installation have been closed.

And the 2 cultures could not be more different, PR is mostly catholic and conservative, we dont speak english in the island, we have a sense of being more puertoricans than american, I mean I can go on and on.

Anyone can enlight me on what or why the US won't grant independance to my island?

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You actually have better breaks as a territory than a free nation.

Only when the need for another state other than Puerto Rico is determined, then Puerto Rico will be made into a state and formally come into the fold of the United States. This will happen when the democrats want another Democratic state such as making The District of Columbia into a state.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth, so it's more or less it's own country, not completely,
but it is self governing, recognized as a self-governing state and has embassies
in more than 40 countries.

Add to that that Puerto Rico does'nt really have representation in the U.S. government,
that is that they don't vote for the President, and they have limited voting in the
Congress via a resident commissioner who has limited voting privileges and can't vote if
there vote were to be decisive.

Apart from that from what I understand the people of Puerto Rico are split,
that is the times they've ever voted on what to do, that is become a true nation-state,
seek enhanced commonwealth status or statehood, there's never been a consensus on what to do, in fact the last time it was done 50.3% voted for none of the above.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I'm all for giving PR whatever they want. They can obviously govern themselves at least as well as every other island nation. Do they want to be a state? A nation? Hook them up.

We can't train there anymore so the Navy left and the island got a wake-up call.

"We hate the navy - get out! Wait where are you going? Come back!"

From what my Puerto Rican friends have said they hate being attached to the US at the hip but they enjoy the extra opportunities available to them currently. For example, the friends I mentioned were close to me while I was in the service and more recently in the postal service. They seem to think they lead a better life because of the US even though they hate it.

Is that a common theme? Or is it only common among the PRs that left the island?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
Is that a common theme? Or is it only common among the PRs that left the island?

It is a common theme, my self included, I live in the US and part of the US Armed Forces, before you all go wild, IM NOT ANTI-AMERICAN, in any sense, I'm the most pro-american guy you can find out there. I just feel that after living here in the US, theres a lot our island can learn and copy from this great nation, and apply it in the foundation of an independent but pro american nation.

The status referendums have never been back or order by Congress thats why they are meaningless, PR people are split, but those that back statehood are for the most part people that live on welfare and are not educated, those people are easy prey to the local politicians that use fear tactics targeting that group of people. This people don't understand that an independent nation can create this type of systems.

I believe that its a shame that the greatest nation in the world, that wants to spread democracy all around the world, dont start the process in their own backyard. You know at least have Congress order a referendum for PR, at let us decide what do we want.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
They love the benefits of being Americans but they want nothing to do with us. They demand our military leave but when the DOD tries to close Fort Buchanan and Ramey AFB but then moan that we are not defending them. It really makes no sense.

I personally feel that we should have a final end to all debates referendum and the outcome is the final outcome. However, the condition for independence would end ALL federal aid and they would lose their US citizenship and the US military and US Border Patrol would totally pull out - meaning no "associated republic" status.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Isn't it up to the people of Puerto Rico to determine their status? Correct me if I am wrong, but can't the people of Puerto Rico vote if they want to remain a Commonwealth, become a state, or an independent nation?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
PR is better off part of the U.S., and they are not exactly fighting for freedom. If the U.S. were separate from PR all the people now complaining about being a territory would just become illegal immigrants and move to America and take advantage of the country.

new topics

top topics

join