It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chief Justice John Roberts Hospitalized After Fall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Chief Justice John Roberts Hospitalized After Fall

quote.bloomberg.com

Chief Justice John Roberts was taken to a hospital after a fall near his summer home in Port Clyde, Maine, a Supreme Court spokeswoman said.

``He fell on a dock'' near his home, Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said. ``He was described as conscious and alert.''

Roberts, 52, was taken to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in nearby Rockport, she said. Hospital spokesman Christopher Burke declined to confirm that Roberts was a patient or to give any details. Arberg said she had no...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
news.yahoo.com

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This news is just coming across on MSNBC. I just heard on the Tucker Carlson show that Justice Roberts suffered a seizure, cause unknown.
He was taken to a nearby hospital and will be kept overnight.

quote.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-7-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
More information is being reported.
Roberts has a smiliar incident in 1993. By definition, a person who has more than one seizure is determined to have epilepsy.
It will be determined if anti-seizure medication will be necessary.

A benign seizure means that doctors performed an MRI and other tests to conclude there was no tumor, stroke or other explanation.

In addition, doctors would have quickly ruled out simple explanations such as dehydration or low blood sugar.

By definition, someone who has had more than one seizure without any other cause is determined to have epilepsy, said Dr. Marc Schlosberg, a neurologist at Washington Hospital Center, who is not involved in the Roberts' case.

Whether Roberts will need anti-seizure medications to prevent another is something he and his doctor will have to decide.

But after two seizures, the likelihood of another at some point is greater than 60 percent.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is an ironic development, given Sen. Chuck Schumer's (D-NY) recent statements on the judiciary:

“We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer told the American Constitution Society convention in Washington. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts, or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.”

www.californiaconservative.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm not sure this health concern should make any difference at all to the current or future SCOTUS.
Two seizures in 14 years is hardly a crisis, although some may try to make it one.

I assume he will need to be monitored. With medicine today, there's no reason they could not successfully control his "condition".

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
CBS reported that he has not been admitted to hospital but is undergoing observation.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
From what I heard, he will be spending the night in the hospital.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
FWIW, I believe you can spend the night in emergency without technically being admitted.
Sounds like that is what is happening....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The reality of the matter...

This is far more serious than being reported... Men (or women for that matter) don't have seizures in their 50's without reason...

Mirth is a gambling monkey... $100 on an Astrocytoma...

Looks like the Chief Justice isn't a sure fire bet for long term SCOTUS influence...

Rehnquist Monkeys, not just for Nixonesque decisions anymore...

[edit on 30/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 30/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
This is far more serious than being reported... Men (or women for that matter) don't have seizures in their 50's without reason...

Hmm... I'm not really sure about that. He had one in 1993, so this isn't the first time. He might just have a very slight problem that won't interfere with his duties or shorten his life drastically.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
like I said...

I'm a gambling monkey....

I'll stick with my wager...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I dunno Bush put him in there for a reason, it just seems he pulled out everyone he didn't like and put his buddies in their stead, like a teachers favorite child.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
MM, I'll take that bet if it's virtual money

Is it possible he's had small, partial seizures throughout his life that did not compromise his lifestyle and nothing was said or done?
Like little seconds of time missing? Or slight dizzy spells?

I know they are specualting as to whether or not it even was a seizure. If it were, he would know. If his body seized up, he should be feeling tired, with sore and achy muscles.

More articles:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

news.yahoo.com...

Dr. Steven Pacia, chief of neurology at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, said that, given this was Roberts' second seizure, it's "likely" that he has epilepsy. "It's the most likely thing based on what we know from what's been released," he said.

Pacia noted that seizures can result from an inherited susceptibility that is trigged by such factors as a lack of sleep or stress. "It sounds to me he does have idiopathic generalized epilepsy syndrome, which means that he has susceptibility to seizures under certain circumstances," he said.

Even if Roberts has epilepsy, it shouldn't affect his work, Kalayjian said. "The majority of people with epilepsy you wouldn't know they had epilepsy," she said. "About 70 percent of people with epilepsy do fine; they hold high level jobs, they drive. It's only 30 percent of people that have uncontrolled seizures that need specialized epilepsy centers to get their seizures under control.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Focused_Life
I dunno Bush put him in there for a reason, it just seems he pulled out everyone he didn't like and put his buddies in their stead, like a teachers favorite child.

Pulled out everyone he didn't like? You do understand that a SCOTUS position is a lifelong appointment, don't you. They can be removed by resignation or by impeachment and conviction, but not much more. A POTUS can't just "pull out" a SCOTUS judge because he wants to.

Why did Bush appoint him? Because he is probably one of the most brilliant jurists in America today.

new topics

top topics

join