It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Novak: Bush considering secret military action in Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Novak: Bush considering secret military action in Turkey

rawstory.com

A former aide to Vice President Dick Cheney is briefing lawmakers on Pentagon plans for secret military intervention in Turkey, Robert Novak reported Monday.

The Bush administration is considering covert military activity by U.S. Special Forces to help Turkish troops quash Kurdish guerilla fighters, who are believed to be using northern Iraq as safe-haven, according to the syndicated columnist.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Exactly how much military activity does Bush think the U.S. is capable of?

Kinda goes with the "the U.S. thinks it's the world's police" line of thought, doesn't it?

Thoughts?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Does GW even bother to pay attention to reality? It seems that once he decides to do something, regardless of how stupid it might be, he does it. He is of course "The Decider".

What sense would it make to go into Turkey when we are already up to our neck in Iraq, Afghanistan, and soon to be Iran, Pakistan and most recently Turkey.

I personally think that he is trying to entrench us in every possible conflict before he departs one of the most truely corrupt presidencies to date. Just to leave our new Commander in Chief to clean us his 8 year mess

It looks like he is setting us up for a much bigger, all encompassing conflict in the Middle East which can only lead to one thing...The Draft.

Will someone please submit the articles of impeachment before he and his buddy turn this great country into a 3rd World Nation?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I thought the US armed the Kurds and refused Turkey to enter Iraq to attack the Kurds. And now they're supposed to help Turkey against the Kurds!? Are they with them or are they against them? Btw, Turkey is a member of NATO. If they create a Kurdistan, and this Kurdistan attacks Turkey, then NATO would have to defend Turkey and attack Kurdistan...

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I thought the US armed the Kurds and refused Turkey to enter Iraq to attack the Kurds. And now they're supposed to help Turkey against the Kurds!? Are they with them or are they against them?

My thoughts exactly. This just doesn't make any sense from a political standpoint other than bolstering the already strong negative US sentiment. We do know one thing though. Covert ops is an area that the US has expertise in so there's certainly some truth to this.

brill

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn
Does GW even bother to pay attention to reality? It seems that once he decides to do something, regardless of how stupid it might be, he does it. He is of course "The Decider".

What sense would it make to go into Turkey when we are already up to our neck in Iraq, Afghanistan, and soon to be Iran, Pakistan and most recently Turkey.

I personally think that he is trying to entrench us in every possible conflict before he departs one of the most truely corrupt presidencies to date. Just to leave our new Commander in Chief to clean us his 8 year mess

It looks like he is setting us up for a much bigger, all encompassing conflict in the Middle East which can only lead to one thing...The Draft.

Will someone please submit the articles of impeachment before he and his buddy turn this great country into a 3rd World Nation?

What do you mean? Bush is helping the Turks to "quash" the Kurds.
And they are probably arming both sides just to make money.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave each place bombs and such.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is about the USA backing Turkey's attempt to join the European Union which is opposed by several nations of Europe. Nothing more.

This is the only reason why Turkey hasn't invaded northern Iraq.

I also enjoy reading how people think our military can do so little.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
My thoughts exactly. This just doesn't make any sense from a political standpoint...

Actually it makes perfect sense given that we wish to avoid a larger conflict between two allies (NATO Turkey and the Kurds) i.e. Turkey invading Northern Iraq. The US can't continue to openly back the Kurds because that would ruin our relationship with Turkey, yet the US also cannot let Turkey invade Northern Iraq as that would cause huge problems for us. So as a compromise you send secret and highly capable forces (Special Operation Forces) into Northern Iraq to help perhaps secret Turkish forces subdue the Kurdish rebels attacking from there. This way you can maintain plausible deniability and ensure that both sides do not confront each other in a more dramatic public fashion. Turkey will see that we are helping and so will the Kurds. However this way the Kurds can safe face given the action will be limited and secret, so I do not expect much public protest. It will no doubt affect our relationship with both parties but then again there are no good solutions for this problem.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Of course seeing as we're reading this and discussing this matter, it's clearly not a secret anymore. That of course eliminates a lot of advantages to the plan, and makes it look like we're openly supporting both sides.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Run for cover. If congress does not stop this guy (Bush) I am afraid that we many not have a country worth living in when he gets out of the white house.

We are in two war fronts now.
Illegal aliens over running our country.
Want protect our food supply from foreign markets.
Up to his neck in trouble with the justice department.
30% approval rating by the American people.
Wants to move our country into a North American Alliance
Sell our roads to the King of Spain.
Build a super highway for truck in Mexico to flood our country with unsafe trucks and drivers.
And more ……….I give up on him.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by CLT1985]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This seems related to this thread, especially the last paragraph.

Turkish commando units cross Iraqi border

The 350-strong commando unit was deployed in the Sere Seve region of northern Iraq and is now in control of several strategic points ~

~ the commando unit's move across the border came following intense shelling of the border area by Turkish forces. The report said the move appeared to be a first step in a cross-border operation into Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq by Turkish forces.

Last week, analysts and officials said plans to launch a joint Turkish-US operation against the PKK camps in northern Iraq had collapsed after they were leaked to the press by certain senators that have reservations about such a move.

top topics

join