It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Midnight At Noon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I like both of those theories. Temporary blindness and coal smoke (related?) both offer plausible explainations - for some but not all instances - and seem to me to be just as good as any other...

I think another one might be some sort of galactic space particles - as our solar system moves thru space we sometimes go thru these 'extra solar dust clouds' - far fetched, but also possible. Im interested to know how many different theories could explain some of this phenomena... so far we got:

Smoke from fires
Atmospheric Particles
The Sun itself
Temporary Blindness
Coal Smoke
Extra Solar Particles

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
According to the complex calculations of astronomers, the earth is swinging along through space at the rate of about 18,000 miles an hour. And according to many of these same astronomers, space is by no means empty. Billions of tiny particles are swept up in the Earth's atmosphere each day as we speed through space. Those astronomers who speak of the emptiness of space are contradicted by other savants who speak of the great masses of dust and gases which are sometimes so dense they are opaque.

If there are large masses of opaque and semi-opaque materials drifting in space, then it is concievable that the earth may slice through them from time to time, with unusual results for those on hand to witness the event.

A thin layer of cosmic dust, obstructing the sun at a low angle, would cause a sharp decrease in light, even at midday. And as we have seen, there are instances on record where sudden darkness has briefly fallen on sunshiny days, at times when no eclipse was recorded.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I have a bunch more stories Ill be adding to this thread in the next couple of days, I apologise for letting it lax.

Please Stand By.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Im not sure whether i should include my 'daylight at night' stories in this thread or start its own thread... ive got a list of some truly amazing stories but i just dont quite know exactly how i should be posting them.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's most likely the simplest of explanations. The planet, and the rest of the solar system, moves around in space. Every now and then we will pass through inter stellar dust clouds, which would completely black out the sun. Even if one passes between us and the sun.
We'd also find it very very hard to see it before we get near it.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The one thing that gets me about that theory though is: Why would/could it affect only one area (or small region)?

Wouldn't something like that blanket a much larger area? Why localized? To me, THAT is truelly the mystery we are dealing with here. Ya know?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

While I agree with Occams Razor, I disagree with your simplistic explaination. The world (and reality itself) is full of mysteries we dont understand. I think this may be one of them.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I saw this article the other day , I don't think its the answer to the darkness , but maybe if sound can cause shadow then maybe they are onto something .

Mysterious bands of shadow which sometimes pass across the ground during an eclipse might be produced by sound pulses, according to a new theory.

Sound 'cause of shadow spectacle'

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I first read about this in a book which discussed the polar shift theory, unfortunately I have forgotten the title of said book but I did recall that it mentioned something along these lines:

Joshua 10:12-13 (King James Version)

12Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

King James Bible
Book of Jasher

If the aforementioned event really did take place then there might be a record of an entire day where the sun didn't rise in the opposite side of the world. Does anyone know of any myths and/or legends from Meso-American civilizations telling of a day when the sun forgot to rise up from the east?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

So the best way to find out would be to ask around to your elderly relatives and friends.

And there is always the Newspaper Archive.

It's a paid service, but it's well worth it, if one uses it a lot.
I used to be a subscriber but not for the past two years.
Perhaps someone who is a subscriber would care to run a search on this?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

Oh, I think they would have been familiar with coal smoke - even if it could descend so abruptly...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You know, I've occasionally noticed very momentary periods of "blackness" in my lifetime. (And we're not talking alcoholic or drug induced here ok?!?)

Here is a highly relevant account from another thread.

(Unless that's you under a different name...?
)

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gammahelixx

Very good website!
Thanks.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Does anyone know of any myths and/or legends from Meso-American civilizations telling of a day when the sun forgot to rise up from the east?

Well, I certainly don't - unless you count the end of the "epoch" allegedly recorded by the Mayans on the Sun Stone (AKA 2012
).

It is the SUN stone - and the Sun is, of course, the apparent "master" of our time... so I suppose the record on the stone could be interpreted as some kind of event causing Time - the Sun - to stop.

(Please, note that I am not saying it IS so, nor am I great fan of the 2012 topic in general. I am just saying... it's worth considering. The Mayans were not some backyard brutes; and apparently they did know a lot about astronomy.)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbenn

Very interesting!
Great article.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Great posts! I found those sites highly interesting.
The sound one brings up some interesting ideas, ill have to contemplate them a bit.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I posted my experience on another thread but was given a link to this one also which is relevant to my own personal experience.

My "Pitch Black Day" occurred in the mid 1950's in London, England. Here is my experience as related on the other thread (and link to other thread.):

"Since having access to the internet, I've been searching for events similar to what my mother, my younger sister and I experienced back in the 1950's in London England. What Axzion describes is the closest I've come to it. Mum, my sister and I have often discussed the event and how terrifying it was and none of us have found an explanation as yet. Our recollections are in harmony and the memory of what happened is still vivid. Here is my account as I remember it:

I was about 6/7 y/o. Mum, my younger sister and myself were on our way to visit Dad, who was recovering from major surgery (in Lewisham). We were living in Sydenham, London at the time and the event occurred while waiting for the bus. It was early afternoon…a brilliant, sunny day and perfectly clear. No cloud at all. As we gazed in the direction from where the bus would approach, all three of us were startled to see an immense “wall” of blackness suddenly appear. It moved at phenomenal speed, stretching from horizon to horizon and appeared to reach beyond the heavens themselves in height. We instinctively turned to flee but to our horror, a second, identical, "wall" of darkness was almost upon us from the opposite direction. There was no escape…and a split second later they converged, plunging us into an unearthly blackness, the memory of which, haunts me to this day. It was so terrifying, that my sister and I were in panic-stricken shock and beyond crying and screaming. Whenever we talk of the event since, poor Mum still gets goose-flesh, remembering how she had to try and keep calm for the sake of her two little children in a “Twilight Zone” situation which just about had her "losing it" out of gut-wrenching fear.

There were no roiling clouds, no lightning or thunder. No stars visible. Not one drop of rain, nor breath of wind (a paradox, considering the velocity of these things), just an eerie, cloying silence.

Mercifully, a house light suddenly winked on nearby and Mum propelled us towards it but it was still impossible to see where you were going (I have to re-iterate...this was absolute pitch blackness) and I smashed, . first into the cement bus stop. I was dazed and reeling but still too panic-stricken to cry out or shed a tear. (I was sporting a huge, black and blue egg on my fore. for some time after). Anyway, we reached the house and were ushered inside by an elderly woman who said she was grateful for company under the circumstances. She kindly made us a cup of tea, while discussing the event with Mum…both trying to make sense of something that didn’t appear to make sense at all. About twenty minutes to half an hour later, sunlight flooded the room. Almost instantaneously, the darkness vanished leaving us with brilliant sunshine and blue, cloudless skies as before.

We eventually reached our destination and related our ordeal to Dad. He was totally flummoxed. Despite being only a few miles away, the hospital had not been affected.

To this day I have no explanation for what happened, despite years of research. There was no LHC back then either.

Anyway, I just wanted (needed, actually) to post this to add my experience of a Pitch Black Day."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I found a very interesting website called "Black Sunday" regarding September 24, 1950, when the sky went dark in the middle of the day. Betty Rhodes, who lived in western Pennsylvania (Wattsburg - Erie County, PA) at that time, writes the following:

On June 17, 2000 I posted a query on the 'goerie' website asking folks to write me regarding a mysterious 'Black Sunday' that occured in the early 50's. I had thought mid 50's, but it was earlier than I remember. I was born late 1941 and would have been only eight at the time but remember it well. This website is a collection of responses to that query. More will be added as time goes by. At one time I had written to a Forestry Service historian in Canada and asked him about the incident, but he didn't see any fires in his files that would have produced such a reaction. I have lost his letter, but have written to another Canadian agency. Will post that response when I receive it.

The website was updated as recent as August 8, 2008. The following is from one of the witness accounts:

Betty...we were just talking about the strange darkness while my daughter and family were visiting. So, I got on the 'net and found your site...I very distinctly remember that day, altho' until I read the date could not recall it exactly. I remember it being a Sun. in Sept. 1950 when after my family had returned from Mass at our local church in Sharpsville, Pa., we ate our dinner and at 2:30 p.m., my two younger teen age sisters went to the matinee at the Ritz theatre to see "Pride and Predjudice". I had a good book to finish, so I stayed home reading. Mom was napping; Dad was reading the paper and my brothers were out somewhere. I noted that the afternoon kept getting darker and as I read, I had to turn on a lamp. I thought it would storm but the sky was a bright kind of yellow. It kept getting darker and within the hour, the sky and the general outside light seemed to be a deep orange-yellow and getting darker! By the time my sisters returned and my brothers got back, about 5:30, it was like night...very dark with only a tinge of yellow...artificial lights outside (lampposts and car .lights) were unusually white-blue in this strange atmosphere and it continued into the usual time for sun down. We could not distinguish the weird stuff from night, by then. I wondered if the sun would come up the next day...but it did and all seemed normal...there was no good explanation except the "fire in Canada" one, which didn't plausible to us.

It is interesting that some of the witnesses seem to believe that the strange event was caused by some kind of military/government experiment.

Commissioner Wm.L. Miller, Col. USAF (Ret.), actually says:

I have heard from several sources that they believed that an early version of a nuclear bomb was accidently detonated resulting not only in the darkening cloud, but in many military and civilian deaths. Unfortunately, we (the US government) are +all too capable of orchestrating cover-ups so well that truth becomes a non-sequitur. (I KNOW that this scenario was a possibility!)

the-red-thread.net...

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Ok, so we're talking about many different reasons for a similar act? Or are we trying to figure out a reason or reasons behind one type of darkness here? I doubt Marco Polo experienced an accidental nuclear bomb explosion (see earlier posts where Marco Polo wrote about it).

Also, bumping what is probably one of my favorite threads tonight, anyone want to keep up the work and try to look more in to this? I have a book that lists tons of things falling from the sky as well as unexplained darknesses at day, and unexplained light at nighttime in the 18 and 1900's most of which can be cross examined and found online, which is what I'm trying to do, since I can't find the book, haha.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Thewayshemoves]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Grock

This is almost word for word from the book "Stranger Than Science" by Frank Edwards

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join