It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mighty Lake Superior Mystifies Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

"Jack Hubbard checks the lake's water level in Grand Marais, Mich., June 28. Over the last year, it has dropped to the lowest point in eight decades and will set a record this fall if, as expected, it dips three more inches."

Full Story

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Why is this under "Aliens and UFOs"? Wouldn't "Fragile Earth" be a better place for it?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Why is this under "Aliens and UFOs"? Wouldn't "Fragile Earth" be a better place for it?

Maybe the theory is that the Aliens are thirsty and coming here and drinking out of Lake Superior?

Is it really that unusual for lakes to lose water? I don't know.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
lol have no idea i did this quickly i am at work. how do i change it?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
it's been moved.

syntax a u2u was automatically sent to you when I moved it.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
thanks still new to posting. love reading forums but lack the knowledge of posting one. lol

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Lots of info in the below link about Lake Superiors historical water levels. A 1 to 4 foot water level change is historically normal. It also taught me that Lake Superior's water level has been managed by man since 1914.

Lake-Level Variability and Water Availability in the Great Lakes (10mg pdf)

U.S. Department of the Interior
U.S. Geological Survey: 2007

The purpose of this report is to present recorded and reconstructed (pre-historical) changes in water levels in the Great Lakes,

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Water levels on all the Great Lakes are lower. I fished yesterday in the Sturgeon Bay area of Lake Michigan, and our guide pointed out a number of rock reef areas that are above the water line. These tiny rock islands have only become exposed in the nine years he has guided in the area.

Talking to him reminded me of an article I had read a couple of years ago about water draining out of the Great Lakes through a channel dredged in the St. Clair River by the Army Corps of Engineers in the 1960's. I tracked some info down. This addresses specifically water levels in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Lake Superior is connected to Lake Huron by the St. Mary's River, so maybe this is a contributing factor. It's like a drain in a bath tub.

Study blames humans for drop in Huron and Michigan
February 2005
U.S. Water News Online

TORONTO, Can. -- Lakes Michigan and Huron have permanently lost a foot of water because of erosion in the St. Clair River caused by dredging and other man-made meddling, according to a recently-released study.

Water is permanently being sucked from Lakes Huron and Michigan because of ongoing erosion caused by dredging and other human activities in the St. Clair River -- the drain that funnels water out of the lakes -- according to a study.

If the data are accurate, the lakes may have already lost 12 inches of water in addition to natural lake level fluctuations. The data would also help explain the low water levels that have plagued boaters and beachfront landowners during the last few years. extra DIV

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
that could explain it. but if these scientist knew about that then there would be no reason to experiment. unless theres something else in the water.

I don't think they were just looking for some fresh water to drink.

new topics

top topics

join