It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demon of Dartmoor: Mystery beast seen at hell hound

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Demon of Dartmoor: Mystery beast seen at hell hound

www.thisis london.co.uk

Legend has it that a four-legged fiend with glowing eyes and a blood-curdling howl stalks this very spot.

Which makes these pictures of a mystery creature taken near Hound Tor on Dartmoor more intriguing than ever.

Seen only yards away from a party of schoolchildren, the animal has a thick, shaggy coat, rounded ears and large front limbs which would be powerful enough to tear human flesh.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-7-2007 by fill0000]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Can anyone identify the animal in the photo? Not like anything Ive seen in britain, very strange!

I did write a few big paragraphs but it seems I cannot use any apostrophes in my grammar or the forums throw back a MYSQL error when posting

EDIT: It seems to have posted them anyway and now theres 4 articles up, not sure whats happened here but it kept giving me errors and I thought it wasn't posting. Sowwie

www.thisis london.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-7-2007 by fill0000]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
interesting find...deffinately nothing ive ever seen....anywhere.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Well, there's a sensation seeking headline!

I doubt the (drum roll..) 'Hell Hound in question is anything other than some mixed breed stray canine. I believe it's really that simple.
Dartmoor is rife with legend and myth kept alive by locals and the English Tourist Board to attract vistors to the area.
The submitted image of the (drum roll..) 'Demon of Dartmoor' is difficult to scrutinise properly unless other images have been captured showing a closer view of this animal.
I doubt it is a cryptoid and it's certainly not a feline. Yes, my money is on it being a mongrel.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I've spent quite a number of days and nights in remote areas of dartmoor ,
i have seen a lot of sheep and horses, a cat or two (and tons of stone circles) but thats about it ,
very honnestly i believe the ammount of tourists might have dropped a bit and someone is trying to create a bit of a sensation to attract the needed currency to keep that remote community afloat

countless spottings in the last decades have always turned out to be a cat or a dog (sometimes with the help of famous image editing apps)

to back up the idea of a wild animal living there , i must say that it wouldn't be to much of a problem for let's say a panther , to survive and be unseen for a long time , most of dartmoor is very remote and isolated and some of it is off limits to civilians , plenty of food for a predator in the form of sheep or maybe even horses (poneys) but eventually someone would spot it or wonder about a growing number of cattle vanishing

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Kind of looks like a sheep lol

If not theennn maybe some kind of big dog that's gone stray? Surely wildlife researchers would have seen something like this before, I know they take a lot of students round there.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Look like some sort of K-nine to me. If it is possible see if you can look at the tracks of where the animal was. That would probably help a lot.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
yeah you can tell alot by the tracks, it looks a bit large for a sheep but admittably quite shaggy, the structure looks wierd but more k9 than anything. its probably some crazy overgrown mongrel with shaggy hair thats wild looking

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
the way it is walking in that second pic makes it looking very feline to me.

my guess: REALLY stray cat.

you never know tho!

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Quite blatently a black sheep, look at the proportions of it..

Id be suprised if that thing could even see what its trying to eat, let alone pick off little schoolchildren sitting around the campfire..

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Actually, I thought it looked like a small bison. Any bison in those parts of the world?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Good post, as always the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired and the different viewing angles give it a slightly different appearance every time.
Certainly in one shot I would say shaggy dog, the muzzle looks quite short similiar to a St Bernard or maybe a Rotweiler of course the coat is wrong for both although some sort of crossbreed could account for the mixture of features.
I would be happy with this answer if it wasn't for one of the witnesses being adament it moved more like a feline, having been around dogs all his life I guess he should know, although when a dog is stalking it can move very like a catl.
So I guess until there are better pictures the jury is still out.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
yeah I say it looks like a wilderbeast, or Bison, a younger or female at that, they get that classical kind of hairy/shaggy and it looks just like its normal grow pattern,

It could also be a overgrown horse but as for sheep, Thats a huge sheep.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Also on the BBC. Dog, Pony, Will da beast.

Could be a man in a carpet playing silly buggers!

MonKey

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have seen pictures like this before. About 8 years ago.There were many sightings like this around the peak national park areas.(National Trust).
They used to think that it was a panther that escaped from Riber castle before the animals and castle were sold off.Supposedly looking for a mate.
I am going to see if i can find some pictures now.They look identical.(from my memory that is)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Cannock Chase in Staffordshire is a veritable big cat hotspot and there have been many supposed sightings over the last few months. Witnesses report seeing a large black cat with a long tail but this one certainly won’t answer to the name of Felix!

Cant seem to find the pic.
[edit on 31-7-2007 by tracey ace]

[edit on 31-7-2007 by tracey ace]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
From the article in the OP:

Disappointingly for those who possess a vivid imagination, the most likely explanation yesterday was that the Beast is nothing more supernatural than a large and hairy wild boar.

North Devon farmer Al Dedames lost more than 100 of his stock of boar in December 2005 when animal rights activists raided his farm and destroyed fencing.

My money is on a boar.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Could possably be a young Bullock - don't think i've seen that mentioned before, the first pic he could be looking slightly away / toward the camera.

I've lived on the edge of dartmoor most of my life - don't think this is much to be worried about, i'm 100% sure there must be large(ish) wild cats out there. Spent a lot of time up on the moors, it can get real wild - espically when the weather comes down quick.

Someone said it may be a ploy to get more visitors - doubt that, there will be more than enough. In fact numbers are sometimes discouraged in areas because of damage that gets done.

IMO watch out for the things that go bump in the night rather than wot goes munch in the day

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I will say though that the animal in the first pic looks completely different to the animal in the second pic.The second one interests me as it is the same creature that was seen in the peak natinal park.Is Dartmoor owned by National trust also??Some park ranger having a laugh i think.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracey ace
Is Dartmoor owned by National trust also??Some park ranger having a laugh i think.

Over half of Dartmoor National Park (57.3%) is private land, much of this owned by the Duke of Cornwall, a title held under a charter of Edward III by the Prince of Wales. The Ministry of Defence owns 14% (see below), 3.8% is owned by water companies (see Dartmoor reservoirs), 3.7% by the National Trust, 1.8% by the Forestry Commission and 1.4% by Dartmoor's National Park Authority.
wiki

top topics

<<   2 >>

join