It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'plans huge Saudi arms deal'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

US 'plans huge Saudi arms deal'

news.bbc.co.uk

The United States is reported to be preparing a major arms deal with Saudi Arabia worth $20bn (£9.8bn) over the next decade.

It is said to be part of a strategy for countering Iran's growing strength.

Defence officials quoted by US media and the AFP news agency said it would include missile guidance systems, upgraded fighter jets and naval ships.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 29-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
the same country that the 9/11 highjackers orginiated from
the same country that is a breading ground for fanatics
and the same country that is most likely supporting sunni insurgents

why is the US arming them to the teath?

1. as they said to counter iran

or to give them a reason to give Israel more US tax payer money so the israeli state can then use that money for US made weapons. (dont see why the US just dont give them the toys)

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This tread is also relevent to this discushen.
Iran weapons purchas

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Oh wonderful, first the US arms Al-Qaeda with weapons to deter the Russians, they turn hostile against the US.

Now they want to arm an entire country, which is already viewing the US as less than savory?

How wonderful.

Well, the US certainly knows how to make an enemy.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
So we're going to sell 20billion dollars worth of arms and weapons to one of the most
unfree and undemocratic countries there is, a country that sentences people to prison
or worse for converting from Islam, and a country that persecutes minorities.

Seriously, who the hell is in charge of this bull?!

I don't care if Iran is becoming regionally powerful or not, we should instead invest
that money in Afghanistan, which is really one of the few places that we really can use
to combat Iranian influence.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
We'll these Military equipment companies are making a killing off the Iraq war. This is just basically insurance that their going to make a killing again. I swear I sometimes think that we are never gonna learn, it's like we just stuck our hand in the fire, but were gonna do it again cause "who knows maybe it'll be cold this time". No wonder the world laughs at us.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
all we are doing is preparing our allies.
Saudi arabia is in Iraq as much as Iran,
we are against Iran, yet arming Syria.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
If you ask me I think we're meddling again. And every time we do it comes back to bite us. History has shown this time and time again, and IMO we should finish our current business (either by leaving, or winning) and be done with the middle east.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is a bad mistake...but I can't expect anything but bad mistakes from our government. Hopefully this deal is shot down by congress.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is not an ideal world and "allies" are a lot more complicated. Whatever the situation in Saudi Arabia their stable and current leadership has consistently backed the US on a number of issues and situations. As such in a region where influence is key and in short supply you need proxy counters to remain in favorable position. As such arming Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the UAE etc... Is a necessary move to counter the suppliers of Iran and Syria.

[edit on 29-7-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Is a necessary move to counter to suppliers of Iran and Syria.

Just like arming the other million mistakes in the past were necessary to counter whichever American enemy was the enemy at that time.

*Saudi Arabia meddles in Iraq-same thing the administration accuses Iran of.

*Saudi Arabia has a poor democratic system (the rule lies with monarchy that spends most of the country's wealth) and Islamic extremism is rampant-same thing the administration accuses Iran of being.

*More terrorists come from Saudi Arabia that go against the United States than any other country (a little worrying)

But hey...mine as well just give our "friends" more weapons. With friends like these who NEEDS enemies?

It is the same F'ed up foreign policy that the United States always engages in, and it always bites us in the ass years later. So unless the US is trying to create a civil war in the Middle East, this makes NO sense minus taking business away from Russia and Europe.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
While "blow back" is a real and likely possibility the House of Saud somehow losing power or moving away from the United States is not. As I said apart from the internal situation in Saudi Arabia i.e. democracy, extremists etc... their government is pro US and has backed us on a number of issues and situations. Given the alternative and considering the region it's the best we can do, but no it's not ideal, nothing ever is. In order to counter Shia Iran and make sure their unfriendly government does not get too powerful in the region it is important to arm Saudi Arabia and Israel, two of the biggest players in the area. This in turn indirectly helps us on a number of fronts.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

..."The role of the Sunni Arab neighbours is to send a positive, affirmative message to moderates in Iraq in government that the neighbours are with you," a senior State Department official told the New York Times on Friday.

Ah, yes, say it with open arms deals
Nothing says you care like an arms deal with the US
Nothing says "a positive, affirmative message" like an arms sale hahaha

When gas prices went up in the late 70's, the Saudis ended up buying billions and billions of weapons from us, with our gas dollars. So did the Shah of Iran. Lovely business these merchants of death have. No wonder good ole Ollie North wanted a piece of the action.

The arms trade on the world market is its own international economy, like the underground drug economy. With the help of US Presidents since Carter, the arms trade has become its own world wide legitimate economy. Bush's father used similar reasoning years ago, defensive systems for peace. The dirty business of selling arms has been sanitized to the point where US embassies encourage it, acting as marketers for the US defense industry.

In truth though, our soldiers in Iraq are being killed or put out of commission (wounding soldiers rather than killing them is a tactic, so an opposing enemy is tied up aiding its wounded) by small arms. Selling weapons systems is great for business, but what's good for US arms merchants is not always good for US security.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Ummmm

How did Israel come into this? Tisk tisk.. your hatred got the best of you eh?

America sells arms to many nations, to assume we only sell to friendly democracies is hilarious.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Basically Only doing this to set a "foundation" for future wars.

One liner, but it's basically all it is when you cut out the bs.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
While "blow back" is a real and likely possibility the House of Saud somehow losing power or moving away from the United States is not. As I said apart from the internal situation in Saudi Arabia i.e. democracy, extremists etc... their government is pro US and has backed us on a number of issues and situations. Given the alternative and considering the region it's the best we can do, but no it's not ideal, nothing ever is. In order to counter Shia Iran and make sure their unfriendly government does not get too powerful in the region it is important to arm Saudi Arabia and Israel, two of the biggest players in the area. This in turn indirectly helps us on a number of fronts.
Sad but true Westpoint23 but this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.Considering recent saudi criticizms of iraq war.I guess id be a poor politician,eh?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Ummmm

How did Israel come into this? Tisk tisk.. your hatred got the best of you eh?

America sells arms to many nations, to assume we only sell to friendly democracies is hilarious.

did you even read the article?

the US is increasing their military aid to Israel (think its 40billion over 10 years)
to ensure that it stays superier to the Arabs.

Israel came into this because it states so in the article
and because it makes sense aswell arm the arabs and it gives the US goverment a further reason to arm Israel even further with more weapons.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This. Could. Be. The. Dumbest. Thing. That. The. US. Has. Ever. Done.

Would someone please give Bush a BJ so we can impeach him.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Actually with the current chess game being played in the ME, this was a brilliant move. This kinda dwarfs the sale of those Russian planes to Iran as something SO significant.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I dont know if it dwarfs the arms sale to Iran but it is a brilliant move to ballence the power. Unforchantly I also think this is kind of like putting a flame to a powder keg.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join