It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by ferretman2
Here's an experiment for all the 'pro-flag' burners to try.......

Go out in public and burn:

A Mexican Flag......see the type of reaction you'd get
A Koran.......see the type of response you would get
An Iranian Flag see the type of response you would get

While technically doing any of the above ARE protected by "free speech" imo, they can also be considered "hate crimes". An American burning a flag to protest his own government could hardly be classified as such.

Apples and oranges.

Why is burning a Mexican or Iranian flag a "hate" crime?
Burning the Koran a "hate" crime?

Apparently burning the American flag is OK but any other flag gets burned its a 'hate" crime?

I bolded the important part of my post seeing as you must have missed it.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well then burning an Iranian flag shouldn't be considered a "hate crime:" either... After all, "it's just protesting the government there."

Really, Intrepid, that is pretty faulty "reasoning."

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Makes no difference if I burn for whatever reason an American Flag, its no different than if I burned an Iranian or Mexican Flag. If burning one is Hate Speech/Crime then burning any of them is Hate Speech/Crime.

You cant criminalize thought.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Makes no difference if I burn for whatever reason an American Flag, its no different than if I burned an Iranian or Mexican Flag. If burning one is Hate Speech/Crime then burning any of them is Hate Speech/Crime.

You cant criminalize thought.

Are you an Iranian or a Mexican? Why do people get bent out of shape when a person in another country burns the American flag? Because it's a hate crime. Rationalize it all you want, a protest is a protest. Not what you are trying to believe. Intent, not thought, is the key here.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So If I go buy several Mexican flags here in Las Vegas and walk down to the Mexican Consulate and procede to burn those flags I am committing a hate crime?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

So If I go buy several Mexican flags here in Las Vegas and walk down to the Mexican Consulate and procede to burn those flags I am committing a hate crime?

Are you Mexican? If so then, no, it's not a hate crime. Simple see?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Burning the American flag is the same, in my opinion, as spitting on the constitution. It carries a direct insult to everyone who has fought and died to build this country, from our forefathers to the WWII veterans all the way up to the present day military men and women. It is a cowardly act and should be viewed as treason. This will be the ultimate demise of our nation, good American men and women who sit idely by while a foreign invader desercrates the most recognizeable symbol of our freedom and our nation. True it may or may not be protected as free speech under the bill of rights, but so is calling your next door neighbors mother a whore. Sure you can do it, and it is within your rights to do so, but do not act suprised when that neighbor beats you across your head with a blunt object after the fact.

In the 1940's you would have NEVER seen a person burn an American flag on a crowded American street. The reasons being that people back then actually cared about our country, people had their lives at stake and were invested heavily in the well being of our nation, people had pride and courage and were willing to stand up and if need be defend our heritage, our principles and our way of life. Modern day America is remeniscant of the Roman empire during her last dark days. Greed, lawlesness, fat, spoiled, lazy citizenry who were too busy focused on debauchery and self preservation to sacrifice themselves for the good of the Republic. Inner turmoil and dissent, crooked money grubbing politicians robbed the treasury blind, the cause and the shared pride of the Roman people had long since dissipated. Actions and words that were once entirely unacceptable and considered outrageous were now the norm. It is all one gigantic recipe for disaster, complacency, political correctness and overall lack of regard for country, patriotism and our founding principles will eventually do us all in.

In my opinion those who burn the flag openly should be hanged for treason, those who sit by and watch others burn the flag should be attached to the rope next to them. YOU ARE THE ENEMY. And if you feel that the flag is merely a piece of cloth and holds no real meaning, ask a war veteran how they feel about those sentiments. Or better yet open a history book and read about the origins of that flag and what it has represented up and to present day. Where do you draw the line?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So its only a hate crime if my white Scandinavian American self burns the Mexican flag. What if I and my Mexican daughter-in-law burn the Mexican flags together? I go up on a hate crimes charge and she does not?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

So its only a hate crime if my white Scandinavian American self burns the Mexican flag. What if I and my Mexican daughter-in-law burn the Mexican flags together? I go up on a hate crimes charge and she does not?

You're reaching now man. I've explained it.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
No its either free speech no matter what flag or book you burn or its not.
The right is either absolute or its not. Its really that simple. I will argue that it is the right of any person to burn any flag or book of any nation or religion whatever the context whenever the fancy strikes them. I might think that the person is a nutter but I am not going to stop them.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

[
Are you an Iranian or a Mexican? Why do people get bent out of shape when a person in another country burns the American flag? Because it's a hate crime. Rationalize it all you want, a protest is a protest. Not what you are trying to believe. Intent, not thought, is the key here.

Is the guy burning the American flag technically a citizen of the U.S? No one has answered that question yet.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Burning the American flag is the same, in my opinion, as spitting on the constitution. It carries a direct insult to everyone who has fought and died to build this country, from our forefathers to the WWII veterans all the way up to the present day military men and women. It is a cowardly act and should be viewed as treason. This will be the ultimate demise of our nation, good American men and women who sit idely by while a foreign invader desercrates the most recognizeable symbol of our freedom and our nation.

Yep, but you can't explain that to the libs. They are too indoctrinated in globalistic crappolla to understand.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Why is it becoming unAmerican to be American now days.
This is crap! People can burn my flag but I can not burn theirs??

You are Canadian? Trying to tell me whats right and wrong to feel about my country? You have no clue. I'm born and raised in the good ole USA and very proud to be.

Nothing will change how I feel about seeing someone burning my flag that MY COUNTRYMEN fought under.
So to me you have no idea of what your talking about when it comes to American values or what it means to hold our flag sacred.

The whole freedom of speech flag burning thing all comes down to interpretation. Today its legal and tomorrow it could be illegal.
To me it will always be wrong regardless.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Indoctrinated and apparently castrated /emasculated as well. The men of this country have been brainwashed by a defeatist national media, indoctrinated to believe that being a male or being aggressive or patriotic or proud of country or family is wrong, they have had this PC bull**** shoved down their throats since the time they were ten years old and have basically become so passive, ass backward and confused that they are their own worst enemies. I genuinely fear for the future of America, because unless the enemies of our country agree to a sissy slap fight or a stern game of Warcraft over a bag of Doritos we are all done for.

Laziness, complacency, lack of patriotism, nationalism and complete lack of a belief system or higher cause. Boys beign reared and ruined by over bearing soccer moms while their fathers work 12 hour days at the office.

This is the type of activity that breeds young boys who grow up to be men who think it is ok to sit by and watch a foreign national burn the same U.S. flag that their grandfathers died to protect.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
You are Canadian? Trying to tell me whats right and wrong to feel about my country? You have no clue. I'm born and raised in the good ole USA and very proud to be.

I put that out there for a reason(and you fell into that). Here's another way at looking at it. Why is a Canadian defending the American Constitution? Because it needs defending. It's a GREAT document and it's been besmirched long enough. Maybe if YOU did a little demonstrating, maybe it wouldn't need the help of those outside the country.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
I genuinely fear for the future of America, because unless the enemies of our country agree to a sissy slap fight or a stern game of Warcraft over a bag of Doritos we are all done for.

I completely agree. We weep and whimper about a few thousand soldiers being killed over a period of 5 years, yet, in WW2, we lost that many in a few months time. We are soft not only physically, but emotionally as well. America will never survive a prolonged fight for anything. It doesn't have the fortitude to do so.

With each passing day, with each death of a WW2 generational individual, the U.S becomes just a bit more sissified...It's quite pathetic really.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
With each passing day, with each death of a WW2 generational individual, the U.S becomes just a bit more sissified...It's quite pathetic really.

Not if you remember WHY they fought for what they did. It wasn't personal agenda. Or partisan politics. THAT is what's eating away at America's heart right now. STOP IT!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I put that out there for a reason(and you fell into that). Here's another way at looking at it. Why is a Canadian defending the American Constitution? Because it needs defending. It's a GREAT document and it's been besmirched long enough. Maybe if YOU did a little demonstrating, maybe it wouldn't need the help of those outside the country.

I have demonstrated!
You do not know me so don't act like you do.
You do not know what Ive done for my country or what my family has done for that matter .
You will NEVER know what it feels like to be an American and watch an American flag burn. You can only guess and even then you would not come close.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I can guarantee you that if the draft were reinstated tomorrow, the population of Canada and Mexico would almost double over night. Where did this big yellow streak emerge from amongst the citizens of a once proud and defiant nation?

I certainly understand that people would not readily identify or agree with our present day leadership (myself included) but I am curious, if it came down to the true actual defense of this nation, how many would actually stand and fight? The defeatest ideology is like a virus, a slow poisoning of the mind and spirit of our young people. They seem to prefer appeasement and cowardice to the ideal of liberty or death. I am ashamed of what this country has become.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I have demonstrated!
You do not know me so don't act like you do.
You do not know what Ive done for my country or what my family has done for that matter .
You will NEVER know what it feels like to be an American and watch an American flag burn. You can only guess and even then you would not come close.

OK, OK, I bow to the Keyboard Wizard. Apperantly you forgot the part about the Constitution, you know, the basis of the American nation. :shk:

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join