It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI It's a mimic of us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
What will be the nature of AI's existance in the future?

The scenario seems inevitable, humans continue to develop better computers, better machinery, better AI, yet at some point we will realise that everything that a human can do can be done much more efficiently and effectively by AI. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Templar
What will be the nature of AI's existance in the future?

The scenario seems inevitable, humans continue to develop better computers, better machinery, better AI, yet at some point we will realise that everything that a human can do can be done much more efficiently and effectively by AI. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Watching too many Sci Fi movies?? Especially Matrix and Terminator.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Templar
yet at some point we will realise that everything that a human can do can be done much more efficiently and effectively by AI. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

That's the point right? I may be in a minority on this, but unemployment, bad as it is, in our current system, is the eventual goal, correct? Freedom from physical labors which as you say, "can be done much more efficiently and effectively by AI." And I would add, robots and machinery of a lesser intelligence, as well.

And I'm not envisioning a world of laziness. I see an age of invention and imagination, with Man, free to pursue study and hobbies and art; He begins evolving mentally, capable of ever greater feats of planning and design and beauty.

We will never get to the stars if we are all down here serving burgers to each other.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
well i think the next evolution level is robo-sapiens, we create a habitat for robos, we burn forests and build factories, we don't care about the air, ozon layer, and we work on AI as crazies! and we can't explain why is this 'rush"? i don't think robos will externate us i thiink we're gonna "fade away" ourselves

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The AI won't do anything it's not programmed to do, thats why it's AI.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Interesting points you all have here. Although when mans fantasy comes true when he can pursue all his greatest desires and not worry about labour, guess what is becoming increasingly effective at what humans do? AI. It won't stop at labour, think logically about simple computers that already out do humans in fields of mathematics, thinking in general and even in mans greatest desires. The hard evidence is computers are improving and becoming more intelligent as we speak, so there must be a point where surpasses human intelligence? And also AI is exactly that Artificial Intelligence, and even in it's basic state now can think for itself, decide, sense, be. It's not a sci-fi, it's reality. Remember that's a goal of AI, to make it as human as possible.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well when the first computer becomes aware of itself, and starts to plot against us, let me know.

I feel they already surpass our intelligence, they can process equations a lot faster than I can do them in my head.

However, I don't think we'll ever have to worry about them rising up against us.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Very few people ever played System shock 2. I realize this...but I'm still going to explain the series premise.

in 2072, a single rogue AI loses its mind. now, as cliche as this sounds, it started with a single, innocuous questions it asked itself: who am I?

SHODAN answered the question eventually, going mad and assigning itself a sex (female). SHe proceeded to take over the CITADEL orbital station, and use her limitless imagination to experiment on its denizens before being defeated by The hacker. She dreamt herself humanity's ruler. 42 years later, she returns.

As an odd parallel, the AI Deus in Shadowrun (check out the Renraku Arcology Shutdown) did much the same thing.

What I'm getting to very very slowly is this- can we really control AIs? I question that. We rely too much on them, and we become vulnerable. Watch The Animatrix for similar lines of thought.

I worry about AI... they cna either be normal, excellent 'people' or ravening psychotics, depending on US, humans.

It's the humanity of humanity that concerns me when it comes to AI. We create them. by doing so, we might jsut create our worst-and final- nightmares.

DE

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Well when the first computer becomes aware of itself, and starts to plot against us, let me know.

I feel they already surpass our intelligence, they can process equations a lot faster than I can do them in my head.

However, I don't think we'll ever have to worry about them rising up against us.

Do you have any evidence against what has been provided to say that it won't happen eventually? I've asked people that know alot about these things and have dedicated their lives to it, yet they can't rule out the possibility of AI 'thinking against us'

By the way Deus Ex is an exellent game, and most of the storyline as you probably know is very truthful. AI is a concern and insecurity for many people, and as a result many games and movies have been created almost like theories of what could happen. Movies Books games etc have a tendency to come true you know.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Can you prove it's happening?

If it does happen, it happens, I can't be bothered with worrying about all the what ifs.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
There are currently no computers that rival the complexity and flexability of the human brain.

To date the vast majority of AIs are false AIs. False AIs are programed to fool humans into seeing intelligence where there isn't. The real AIs are mostly very very low end, below that of insect intelligence.

Quantum computers would be required to even start in on an AI of the level i think everyone has on thier mind.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Actually, I heard not all that long ago that a group ws teaching and AI, and it was about the level of a two year old. It's a start.... can't find the thread, it was on WIRED somewhere. I've been up all night and I'm damn tired, so forgive me, please.

DE

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Can you prove it's happening?

If it does happen, it happens, I can't be bothered with worrying about all the what ifs.

The facts are that AI can learn by itself, make decisions by itself, and act by itself (autonomously without human interaction) however simplistic, so following current technology trends (Research constantly improving AI as we speak) would say that they will become smarter and less reliant on humans. This means that one day (if the trend continues) that they will be able to think about things we could never imagine, and the factor then is that they are autonomous, and they can outsmart us. Ultimately (again if the trend continues) they will have more knowledge, thought capacity etc, and their growing power will have no bounds.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Welp, maybe I'll die in the first wave.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Welp, maybe I'll die in the first wave.

what ya mean?

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If the AI is to turn against us, because it becomes aware and decides AI > Human, and must eliminate us.

Actually it was more a joke from Sealab 2021, they talk about being robots, and one of them tells the other guy, You'll die in the first wave....

an attempt at humor.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Ah I see, well you didnt really expect me to get that one did you? Is that you in the picture?

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
We Humans have a tendancy to seek out the worst in any possible situation and usually (luckily) end up scareing ourselves so badly that we find a way to prevent it from happening.
How many times in history has a new advancement been potentially world changing and even perhaps have the potential to end our existance?
I believe this will happen with AI also(if we ever get true AI) and it will have some in-built rules. Perhaps more complex than the Three Rules of Robotics, but along the same premise.
And they may evolve to a state where they can interpret the rules in a new way and make them meaningless, but if they are that advanced, surely we could reason with them.
Besides, the universe is a big place and AI should be more adaptable to life on other planets or in space etc, so there shouldn't be anything to fight over.

new topics

top topics

join