It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix News Helicopter Crash w/video!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Phoenix News Helicopter Crash w/video!

www.wboc.com

The midair collision killed all four people aboard two news helicopters covering a police chase.

The aircraft went down in a city park, but no one on the ground was injured.
(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit, spelling in title

[edit on 28-7-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I stumbled upon the news broadcast in which the reported on the helicopter is talking to the news anchor right when the other helicopter hits them.

leenks.com...

www.wboc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've been reading allot about this myself.

All 4 crew members of the two craft were killed in the crash.

I think this should spark an initiative between news companies, to rely on re-broadcasting footage from rival news helicopters, in an attempt to minimize air traffic.

Essentially I think the rule should be:
No more than 2 max news helicopters operating within the same half mile radius of a news event at a time. The first two helicopters to arrive on scene are the only permissible craft in the area, until one or both have left the scene in order to refuel. At which point, news helicopters wishing to take the place of the departed helicopter may enter the flight pattern above the news scene.

It's unfortunate that it would take such an accident before we start thinking of safety regulations.

My sympathies go out to the families of this un-necessary tragedy.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
How about news helicopters stop covering car chases and leave the arial coverage to the police. Why anyone would wast more than 2 seconds watching a car chase is beyond me.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wonder if there is video from the other copter?
I dont mind the car chase videos, I think its cool to watch whats going on in the world.
Those pilots are the ones who need to stop watching the car chases live.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Is there big money in this or something, is it really competitive.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
As somebody from the U.k....I've always found it amazing when watching American police shows....Theres like 5 helicopters and 20 pursuit cars after one wino driving a clapped out chevy......I don't understand all the press and attention these criminals get in the U.S.A. In england...Sometimes they call chases off...Due to the danger of pedestrians and the police. Then catch them later when there unawares. We don't have the press following pursuits in England..What interests me...Is how can the press get onto the story so fast? Can you listen to the police through scanners in the u.s.a? You could years ago in England...It's all encrypted now though...I think they have to stop the media circus...It does look ridiculous from the outside..And maybe now people have died...The police will stop it.

[edit on 28uSaturday07/27/20 by paul76]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   

And maybe now people have died...The police will stop it.

Are you kidding?
It's reality TV taken as far as it can go - snuff TV!

It's not going to stop - the police aren't going to stop it, it's great for their public image (and thus their budgets). As far as the media is concerned, stuff like this is a godsend - a guaranteed ratings booster.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Are you kidding?

It's not going to stop - the police aren't going to stop it, it's great for their public image (and thus their budgets). As far as the media is concerned, stuff like this is a godsend - a guaranteed ratings booster.

Its funny how they keep saying things like, mess with the police THIS happens!
Or you try to get away, but they will always catch you, ALWAYS. It has a us police are sooo cool, you can never beat us feel to it. They make it to make police look like an unstoppable force, I think they have so many videos where the suspect gets away, but they dont show it. haha.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by xmotex

Are you kidding?

Its funny how they keep saying things like, mess with the police THIS happens!
Or you try to get away, but they will always catch you, ALWAYS. It has a us police are sooo cool, you can never beat us feel to it. They make it to make police look like an unstoppable force, I think they have so many videos where the suspect gets away, but they dont show it. haha.

WTF do the police have to do with this! They are in a car chase, it could of been a guy who just shot and killed a cop or his own mother, so they are in persuit DOING THEIR JOBS. The ACCIDENT that happened, happened between two NEWS choppers fighting for ratings and NOT paying attention...its NOT the Police's fault! If you actually think its their fault your an idiot! And what because people from the press who pushed the envelope...taking risks they DIDN'T need to take, nor were they forced to take killed themselves, you want to blame the police???? REAL SMART!

You want to blame anyone blame the media for thinking they should be allowed to butt in anywhere, anytime, under any condition then expect sympathy when they meet their demise because they aren't prepared for what is happening. I guess all the imbedded reporters in IRAQ who were killed/kidnapped are now the soldiers fault? Stop being so retarded...and for once blame those who actually deserve it...THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THE MISTAKE!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I guess following a chase in a helicopter is relatively safe. The problem apparently was 2 helicopters from separate news channels were attempting to get the same shot and being occupied with doing that they failed to pay attention to where the other one was. Its really unfortunate because i believe that all of them died on the copters, and they were regulars so the people from the city knew who they were.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
You people, not all of you, who turn this thread into "hardy har har" and try to pawn it off on _someone_... you disgust me. Maybe it was just an accident in which we should, well, RESPECT THE INNOCENT DEAD?

On topic now, while ATS Admins or mods might get mad at my previous statements, I do not care. I at least RESPECT THE RECENTLY DECEASED...

This was a horrible accident, it can get hectic in the air with that many helicopters. Yes regulations should be used. Yes less helicopters need to be in the air. It is indeed sad that such an event had to bring this to public, but if the media does not fix these air issues... more of this will happen...

I am very sad at all of this, even more-so for the fact that few of you realize I believe, that... if you saw that video, potentially, THEIR FAMILIES DID TOO. I feel very, very hurt by this accident. I can sympathize, and my respect and remorse goes out to their family members.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
They make it to make police look like an unstoppable force, I think they have so many videos where the suspect gets away, but they dont show it. haha.

I remember at least 3 here in Los Angeles that I watched get away. One guy in a car ditched even the copters. They simply lost all trace. One guy got out of his car and ran into an apartment complex, and he was never seen again. They admitted the next day there was neither hide nor hair. And another guy on a motorcycle absolutely smoked the cops and they just gave up, which they occasionally do when they determine it's not worth the risk of running over a pedestrian or whatever.

I can't explain it, but I find these chases compelling. It's dumb, I know.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
New Video (not linked in this thread yet)

You can hear the pilot almost crying... they obviously knew each other well (local pilots generally do).

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Its really upsetting watching that video. I think it should be more important remembering those who died instead of finding someone to blame. Human nature is amazing that someone is always to blame when something tragic happens, i wonder if we were always like that.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Here in this video they say the criminal who was being filmed MAY be charged for what occurred.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I find the fascination with photos and videos of gore and human suffering disgusting.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe
Here in this video they say the criminal who was being filmed MAY be charged for what occurred.

That's plain silly, if you get chased by the police because you committed a crime and they crash, then sure.

But if someone who has no business with you except for trying to get some news for his or her news channel stalks you in the air, then that's their own problem.

Also, how the hell did they even crash? I read the article which states they were circling eachother getting closer and closer.

Were they racing for the ''perfect footage''?
Were they simply not paying attention to eachother?
Whether it's an accident or not, there's *always* someone to blame.
How do accidents involving vehicles happen? Because someone didn't pay attention OR because it's a mechanical failure, but I've read nothing other than them circling and then colliding.

For as far as I know they're both to blame.

[edit on 29/7/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
One accident and some of you are ready to impose limits on how many choppers can be in the air at the same time? This is very rare and I think you guys are over reacting. Even if you impose limits like that there will be accidents, always.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well at least they died doing the jobs they loved. Rip

top topics

<<   2 >>

join