It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S sinks N.Korean ship on its way to Iran!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   

U.S sinks N.Korean ship on its way to Iran!

www.securenet.bc.ca

On July 12, the second intercepted North Korean freighter was sunk in the Arabian Sea by torpedoes fired from a US submarine 100 miles southeast of the Iranian naval base-port of Chah Bahar. Delivery of its freight of enriched weapons-grade uranium and equipment and engines for manufacturing more fissile material including plutonium in its hold could have jump-forwarded Iran's nuclear bomb and warhead project, lopping off at least a year of work. For this Iran's rulers were ready to reportedly pay out a cool $500 million.

A few hours earlier, President Bush received an intelligence briefing on the vessel, its freight and destination. Apparently the shipment was brought forward by several weeks to evade detection by UN nuclear inspectors scheduled to visit Pyongyang this week to verify the dismantling of its nuclear facilities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Another link
Well take this with a grain of salt folks not to sure on the validity of this after doing some more research.

what do you think?

[edit on 28-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I have not heard one thing about this in the media.
Things are still bad with N.Korea,like the reports on them closing nuclear sites,first it was all done,then it was 1 of 5 now its they want to keep some open or get light water reactors.

Hrmmm interesting

Anyone heard about this? It's dated july 12th but i put it in the breaking news section because it certainly is breaking to me.

I messed up when i first posted this.section8citizen had a great point, he said well if this is true then would'nt it prove the U.S claim Iran wants to make nuclear weapons?Awsome point.

[edit on 28-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
that's right Dubya....provoke them damn evul arabs and koreeuns...

/sarcasm

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
There is nothing else online that I can find that deals with this. I am waiting for more public sources to come forward and mention this.

It sounds like something that could happen so i'm not going to try and sink this thread, pun intended, before the truth comes out.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I wouldnt trust that website for anything....its as bad as Debka.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Geez, you gotta like the news not putting more attention to this. This is the first time I'm hearing of this and I watch the news somewhat regularly.

Is the poop about to hit the fan?

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Delivery of its freight of enriched weapons-grade uranium

You would think that we had a better way to confiscate the enriched weapons-grade uranium than contaminate the Arabian Sea.

I'll bet the UAE, particularly Dubai and Sharjah are going to be tinkled pink over this.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
^^ if its even real - you would think that by now everyone would know about a ship being sunk just outside the persian gulf and off the coast of pakistan and opposite oman might get a tiny bit more attention.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Would they not have confiscated the uranium etc THEN sunk the ship?

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Maybe this is disinfo for N.Korea/Iran so as to let them know we will do it, again, and again, and again. That would be an expensive loss to both.

Princeofpeace, you have to discern with wisdom, news sources, debka may exaggerate but not all of it is untrue, besides they're at least located in the re
gion.

JL, I am sure that if we sank a boatload of Uranium, we'd at least storm the boat First retrieve the Uranium, then scuttle it and tell NK/Iran that it was sunk. Seems much more logical to me.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Like I said in the other thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

In reports first published by DEBKAfile,...

That's enough for me to doubt this report.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wasn't it a few weeks ago when it was released that NK was stopping all of it's nuclear progress. The timelines seem to fit. Maybe we told them not to, they did it, and instead of a international incident NK walked away quietly for once with a warning that next time it will be their mainland. Things like this happen more often then we know.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I looked around last night and couldn't find a peep on the subject.

Verdict : not true.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Korea Times - July 12th - The Orchid Sun Sinks

www.koreatimes.co.kr...

By Kim Yoo-chul and Jung Sung-ki

07/13/2007 | 12:42 PM

1 dead, 12 still missing in ship that sank off Oman

www.gmanews.tv...

Saturday, 14 July 2007

news.bbc.co.uk...

S Korean ship 'sinks off Iran'

Did anyone out there know about this back on the 12th? I read bbc news daily; twice daily... nothing recalled about KOREAN boats sinking off coast of IRAN.

And now... 16 days later... the story almost seems placed.

The official story is 42,000 tons of steel being floated by a SOUTH Korean vessel from China to Iran. Hole in the boat; leaking; it sinks. 13 dead; 10 picked up by "passing vessels". One of the shortest bbc stories I have seen.

The tin hat story is that the steel was hiding a pile of enriched uranium and that the vessel, a large tanker, was coming from NORTH Korea. Attacked by French/US submarine forces it sinks; the crew members were then picked up by US sailors.

Here are some pictures of the Orchid Sun:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Gools, but you have to ask why release such a story if it's blatantly false? Disinfo/counter-intel. Debka maybe a tool used by mossad, or some other intel. agency...perhaps. IDK it seems there are reasons for putting stories out there like this but who's to say. Like I said before, you have to discern the info out there and find the snippets of truth in the mountains of UN-truth, I'm sure debka serves its purpose well.

Now that is interesting about that S.Korean vessel sinking, good find. So the most convincing lie has some truth in it. Cool.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hallo folks - probably a first post from me so general hellos to the board Ill find the intro section soon enough.

Ok I find this intriguing as I have followed the North Korea and Iran issues for quite a while.

My personal view is Iran will be taken simply as it holds the 4th largest oil resource on the planet and other reasons and Ill try not to digress.

Firstly could this have happened despite the fact that there is not a peep around the general web?

Well what is a trusted site? Or trusted news? I mean really now can we at all be sure of anything unless we have first hand involvement?

Why would this not make news?

Well right away it would be a smoking gun it would raise the questions of if there is a war on terror - then considering the long list of allegations and crimes perhaps by both North Korea and Iran why do we not take action now.

Considering a phased withdrawl needs to be done in Iraq first to balance out the troop strengths a bit should we ever face N Korea and Iran.

Second idea regarding the uranium being captured etc. Well again only if you wanted to make a smoking gun story and fuel the media with oh my god what would they be using that for, type stories.

And why would there be any need to capture this material when it can be readily produced in the major western countries. And they have more than enough already.

Again timing of press information - timing of what the public is to be told. If anyone believes in free press and the idea that the information of the world is not controlled and carefully leaked out then fair enough. But if such an activity has indeed taken place - at this time I believe there is no need for it to be told or informed to the public.

At this present time such an action or story would not be enough to draw the huge support required to advance to possibly the largest military operation since WW2. Without going into to too much here - any strikes on Iran and North Korea could possibly be a massive undertaking - which would quite possibly require full reserves and even possibly conscription to fuel the numbers required to occupy and stabilise the regions involved.

So if the events are indeed true the only purpose to allow a slight leak of the event information would be to remind the general public of our enemies.

The information itself is not beyond belief.

Iran do have a requirement to bolster their capable defences for the future. They do have similar friends who are not happy at the dominance of US policy.

Submarines are one of the most covert operational units available at this time. How many times do we actually hear about submarine involvement? How often could an attack sub wipe out cargo shipping and we would never know nothing about it? How often could the sinking of a ship be passed off with a bad weather at sea report?

So the idea of the story is not that far fetched at all. But the fact it is not mainstream media is also completely sensible at this time.

A smoking gun will be required to engage the passion and anger of the masses to secure Iran. Trafficking materials is not enough to trigger such passion.

100 000+ deaths in the heart of america with the worlds first terrorist nuclear device will be required to allow carte blanche to go and put an end to terror once and for all.

We have a long way to go and I am sure we all know some of the quotes on how long this war on terror may take.

Therefore I expect to see more and more small stories that reach nowhere but seem intriguing. Just as the stories of Iranian supported insurgency in iraq increase, as do stories that Chinese and russian arms sales filter through to Iran and N korea, and Venezuela.

As Lou Reed once said,

Dont believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

Thats just my thoughts.. thanks

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Wasn't it a few weeks ago when it was released that NK was stopping all of it's nuclear progress.

I heard that. Iran's uranium enrichment programme is ongoing as far as i am aware so why could NK possibly be 'getting rid' of their enriched uranium....possible sale to Iran?

The reason that this will not make the news is simple: mutual deniability. NK doesn't want the world to know that its offloading its enriched uranium to Iran just as much as the USN will not want the world to know that it has fired upon a freighter. The story cannot be confirmed so it will not be broadcast as news.

The real issue is that Iran is still trying to become the first Arab state to have nuclear deterrence and it is getting closer every day....i do feel that this will dramatically change the balance of power, and be a major worry for the stability of the Middle East. Quite simply it cannot be allowed to happen. The UN needs to get some cahones (spl?) and TELL them rather than ask them to stop. I'm sure we (US & UK) could get the pansies (Russia, China, France, Germany etc) to agree to some sort of security council resolution to sort this. Even if that meant the Ruskies chipping in with some troops to inspect the facilities, it would be (marginally!) better than nothing.

IT NEEDS TO BE DONE

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I can imagine almost no scenario (short of not finding out about the ship until it was already in an Iranian harbor) under which out first choice would be to torpedo a ship that is carrying the smoking gun against the two remaining members of the "axis of evil".

Can you imagine what it would do for Bush if he had a situation that big fall into his lap and he actually nailed it for once? It would change the entire political landscape.

Picture if you will, getting home from work, turning on the TV, and hearing this from the president:

"My fellow Americans, this morning, the United States Navy, acting on reliable and timely intelligence, boarded a North Korean ship bound for Iran, and seized from it a cargo of weapons grade highly enriched uranium.

At my instruction, samples of the material and all intelligence related to the seizure are being handed over to the IAEA. The samples and other intelligence will prove beyond the possibility of error or fabrication that the Uranium did come from North Korea, was bound for Iran, and was completely unnecessary for any peaceful purpose.

In a few hours, our envoy will be presenting this evidence to the UN Security Council, and calling for the most stringent economic and diplomatic sanctions ever imposed by the UN, and also for a commitment to specific conditions which will constitute a point of last resort, which, if reached, will trigger an international military response. In light of the evidence we will be presenting, I have every confidence that the Council will agree to our proposal.

Today we have saved American and European lives, without question, and we will do everything within our power to continue doing so by seeking a peaceful resolution to this crisis, however, peaceful or otherwise, I can promise you that there will be a swift resolution."

Bush's approval rating would jump 20 points instantaneously- every former member of his political base that has been alienated by 5 years of fruitless bloodshed would instantly be less afraid of him than of the outside world, all over again. He'd get to hit Iran and for doing so his legacy would go from General Custer (idiot) to General Sherman (controversially heavy-handed success). It might even put the Republican party back in the game for 2008.

Hell, he'd have enough political capital to nuke Iran's nuclear facilities without being convicted in the inevitable impeachment trial, and people would defend that legacy even, saying it was the only option for lack of troops (conveniently forgetting that it was his fault).

In short, Bush stays up at night praying for North Korea to ship HEU to Iran and for us to find out about it, and believe me, if it happened, the last thing he'd ever want to do is send his golden opportunity to the bottom of the sea.

And no, we would not scuttle the ship and try to claim it sank. It's not the Uranium that we want. We've got plenty, the Koreans have plenty, and odds are that the Iranians are sure as hell going to get plenty if left alone for long enough. It only matters because it is evidence, which means secrecy isn't much of an issue, and we'd want every last scrap of proof we could lay hands on. We'd want to test the ship and see what else had been carried on board in the past, we'd want to want to point out any smuggling-oriented modifications that had been made, we'd want to build a miniature arch de triomphe on the deck and hang a banner from it that said "mission accomplished" and watch Bush prance under it in his flight suit just so that we'd have something to throw in his face if he dropped the ball afterwards.

OK, so I made the first two up, but I was serious about the third one... (did I mention I sometimes say the opposite of what I mean? Some say it's a weakness but I say it's very presidential of me.)

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
... the most convincing lie has some truth in it.

Always a very good thing to keep in mind.

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
Did anyone out there know about this back on the 12th? I read bbc news daily; twice daily... nothing recalled about KOREAN boats sinking off coast of IRAN.

And now... 16 days later... the story almost seems placed.

Same here. In fact the BBC is my homepage (don't tell the amigos
) because I'm a bit of a news junkie and never caught wind of this. Something is definitely fishy about this whole story.

Look all I'm saying about debka is this:

I've been burned by Debka as a source of info so many times it's not even funny. Sensationalist claims that one can never seem to confirm or are clearly contradicted by other sources (RECENT EXAMPLE), in fact I'm convinced they do make some of it up.

It's a disinfo site with a clear agenda IMO.

In this case they are clearly attempting to implicate Iran using bits of true info presented in such a way as to muddy the waters so no one is absolutely sure what the heck is going on. They do this so they can "invoke authority" and make you believe what they want you to believe.

Classic "intelligence" tactics IMO.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm with Vagabond - it simply doesn't make any sense.

The ship could have easily been boarded & seized, and been a huge propaganda coup for the US.

I think this is a simple case of people just plain making stuff up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join