It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(MSDWC) The Mid Summer Dream Writing Contest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I admit that I hadn't read your story completely until just now, but after I did, I found it to a wonderful analogy of life, morally, physically, spiritually and ethically.

I know that's a fancy bunch of words to toss around, but they are apt in this case. Life is like that... a path. Sometimes you stray a bit from what you intend on the larger scale. Setbacks happen through our own weaknesses or someone you love and care about. Such influences are our constant companion as we go thrugh life.

I can't wait to see what you come up with in your submission to this contest.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thanks masqua, and mojo for the comments to the story. It is harder than you think to write a story without any prior experience. It will only get eaiser with time. I love to spin a tale and have fun with my writing, as a busy Mom it gives me a creative outlet and also a little much needed 'me' time.
I am looking forward to all of the stories on the way!

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hmmmm....

It seems to be time to blow the dust of my quill, and uncork a new bottle of ink. Lets see if these hands can remember their previous talent.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Voidmaster]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Just made my submission.

Nervous and excited, as usual.

Hope you folks enjoy the read.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I did enjoy the read, GE.

Now there are two very interesting stories submitted which actually have the power to make the reader think.

Perfect

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The basic rules re-posted...

RULES

1) Story MUST contain 15,000 characters or more.
2) Story MUST follow all T&C rules
3) Title must contain (MSDWC)
4) 1 entry per member

Any story less that 15,000 characters or that violates the Terms and Conditions WILL be disqualified. It might be a good idea to read them (again) if you are a new member.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
And a third contestant enters the fray...

thank you, shearder.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
hehehe, no thanks to YOU masqua!! Glad i had the opportunity to give this a try. I am in no way a writer so my work probably needs a VERY good editor.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Not a writer, eh? Well, you could have fooled me... that was a bloody good tale. In fact, I decided to check up on you, since I suspected you might actually be a published author.

The strangest thing happened, though... when I typed your name into Google, it came up 'Error 404 - page not found'

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hopping from foot to foot, nervously wringing hands.

Thinking to myself "does it pass muster" "can't be very good, didn't take long enough" "hope people like it"

Phew, bloody hard work that was

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A nicely turned out story, budski... and a sweet addition to the contest.

PS... read my post above yours.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Yup, happens to me allll the time.

Still, it could be worse......

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I just read through all four stories so far submitted, and I must say that we have some talented people here at ATS!!!
:up
A thumb for each.)

Great work guys. I will refrain from showing favoritism because they were all thought provoking stories, and each a good take on the things we regularly discuss here at ATS.

This is shaping up to be a really good contest. I'm impressed.

Edit to add:I put four thumbs and got three and a face. There's errors with my machine---Oh no, what could that mean?

[edit on 14-8-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

The strangest thing happened, though... when I typed your name into Google, it came up 'Error 404 - page not found'

Well i am flattered that you would go thorugh that trouble
. This was honestly a first attempt since any writing i did in school. I just put myself in a "real life" situation and thought about how it would happen if it was me and a couple of friends. I actually, to be honest, was very hesitant to post. But thanks again

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
Well i am flattered that you would go thorugh that trouble.

Actually, I was making a joke in relation to budski's submission, 404.

But, I think you already know that now. This post is really so everyone else will know that I'm not checking for published authors.

Not that we haven't had them before... in fact, one writer in a past contest recently became published. Amazing what a little creativity can produce.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

This post is really so everyone else will know that I'm not checking for published authors.

Not that we haven't had them before... in fact, one writer in a past contest recently became published. Amazing what a little creativity can produce.

Well, having been published was why I refrained from entering this contest. However, having seen the talent here, I feel that I would have had no advantage from past experience at all, you guys/gals are great.

No matter who "wins", in my opinion, everything I have seen so far is a worthy effort, and very readable.

I've been reading sci-fi and such for most of 50 years, and these entries are good, especially for folks just telling a tale. Great!!

And some of these could be published with only a small amount of rework to suit the magazine they were sent to. (Every rag out there likes to have their say, it's how editors justify their paycheck.
)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
No matter who "wins", in my opinion, everything I have seen so far is a worthy effort, and very readable.

And some of these could be published with only a small amount of rework to suit the magazine they were sent to. (Every rag out there likes to have their say, it's how editors justify their paycheck.
)

I agree. There are some great stories here and everyone has made fantastic submissions. I have enjoyed reading all my fellow "writer's" pieces. I was thinking the same the other night that these could really be reworked for actual publishing hehehe

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
That's quite a compliment - I've always wanted to write, but never had the nuts - fear of rejection and all that.
It still remains one of my ambitions to have something published, who knows, maybe one day

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I have thought of writing a children's book or a bunch of short children's stories/takes. I have a pretty good imagination (at times) and i hope to have something done my the time my daughter, who is only 6 months, is able to understand what i read to her or when she can read. Which ever comes first LOL probably she will be able to read before she can understand what i am reading to her LMAO. Anyways, I think this is great practice.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Neat! Another writing contest, and I almost missed it. Just goes to show that's what I get for using "MyATS" each day instead of "Recent Posts".

Anyway... Aug 31st, eh? I better get crackin'...

"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join