It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(MSDWC) The Mid Summer Dream Writing Contest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I hope this quetsion isnt to silly, whats the easiest way to figure out how many characters you have? That way you can make sure you dont get under 15000. Does microsoft word do that?

In Word you can go to the TOOLS menu and select WORD COUNT...

It tallies everything up for you real pretty like.

Great to see a new contest!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This sounds fun. I've had a story concept rattling around in my brain for some time, and I think now is a good time to put it to work. August 31st is the deadline? I'd better get to work then...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Knowing your abilities as a wordsmith, I'm looking forward to it.

And, all you new members... yes,you, here is a chance for

you to get some extra points.

If you're tempted to give it a shot, but are holding back because you're not sure on how it all works, send me a U2U or post questions right here.

Even if you don't win, you'll get that neat little 'writer' under your username and then you can hone your skills in Collaborative fiction.

By the way, we don't deduct for spelling errurs.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
That's something I always wondered, what is the difference between short Story and Colalborative Fiction?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Short Story forum

Open to all members and for posting, well... short stories which are then threads open to comment and, in some cases, helpful criticism.

Collaborative Fiction

Open to members with writer status only. The main purpose is build a story with the help of other writers.

All forms of writing are acceptable in both forums.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Sounds like a creative way to get out of the hole points wise....now that I know what points are for and all. I am going to have to do a little research into proper punctuation before I start at anything, but this sounds fun.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I like your attitude.

BTW... punctuation is not a consideration. Write it how you how you'd say it and the story will be better for the telling.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Thank you for the compliment....and the aplause for that matter. Although my attitude is usually light hearted, I do tend to be an a-hole with my opinions on many topics. I try to stay clear of personal insults, but I am made of nearly 96% sarcasm and have no idea what the remaining 4% are there for. Writing however, has always been fun, and I will try to think of something original to write about.

Edit: Ofcourse anything I write will have some attempt at comedy in it.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by saintnuke]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I have a silly question. When you say it needs to be relevant to a forum, does it have to be ATS, or can we include BTS as well? I generally write humorous stories in BTS, and was curious if that would be allowed in this contest. I'm looking forward to this, should be alot of fun.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Masqua, may we submit our entry as a document? I find that posting work on a forum disturbs the intended format of the text quite terribly. If this is not permitted, then may we post a link to the original document along with the adapted forum version?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'd prefer that the story is not submitted within a link. However, using Notepad is a good way to write your story if you are on Windows. The BB Code works but links (if you use them) have to be put in manually.

Simply cut/paste your story in from Notepad and if it goes over your character limit, all you need do is trim to a convenient sentence and stick in a 'continued'. The rest of the story can then be put into consecutive posts.

That way you'll never (horrors) lose it when submitting.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Maybe you've already said
I didn't see a deadline for submissions, but then again theres a lot of things I don't see. Time-frame?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I have a silly question. When you say it needs to be relevant to a forum, does it have to be ATS, or can we include BTS as well? I generally write humorous stories in BTS, and was curious if that would be allowed in this contest. I'm looking forward to this, should be alot of fun.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by lombozo]

Now did you forget about l'il ole me?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's a quick contest...

August 31 deadline

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

Absolutely... by ATS I really meant the entire website.

Now did you forget about l'il ole me?

I must apologise most profusely for my tardy response. Rack it up to 'post-stress'

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I see it now
Duh.....How did I miss that? And where the heck are my glasses this morning?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

I must apologise most profusely for my tardy response. Rack it up to 'post-stress'

Certainly no apolgies necessary!
Thanks for getting back to me. If nothing else, I'll be in the running for the most off the wall story!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Looking forward to it.

Best of luck in the contest, my friend.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I'd prefer that the story is not submitted within a link. However, using Notepad is a good way to write your story if you are on Windows. The BB Code works but links (if you use them) have to be put in manually.

Simply cut/paste your story in from Notepad and if it goes over your character limit, all you need do is trim to a convenient sentence and stick in a 'continued'. The rest of the story can then be put into consecutive posts.

Yes, I understand that. I am quite able to make a lengthly post under a character restriction. What I meant was, the actual copying and pasting of a text within a Word document into a thread on a forum such as this destroys the intended formatting of the text. You can't paragraph correctly, and the entire structure of the work is immediately compromised. It becomes grotesque, and troublesome to read.

I was asking if I may upload the original Microsoft word document that I wrote with, then link to it within the MSDWC thread (with an explanation of my reasoning for doing so). If this is not permitted, then may I provide a direct download link to the original document along with the edited forum version; so people can read it properly, as intended by the author?

My apologies if this was not already clear.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Useless Idiot]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Give it a shot and we'll see how it works out. I'm always willing to learn.

Don't forget the (MSDWC) in the title.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join