It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(MSDWC) The Mid Summer Dream Writing Contest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
members new and old

Write a story... ANY story which fits the different forums of ATS. Whether it's about cats that know when people die or strange contraptions in the skies... it doesn't matter. You can make something totally new up or use what's in the forums as material. As long as it's YOUR story and it fits forum topics, that's all that counts.

Any and all forms of writing are acceptable (ie poems, humo(u)r
, drama, whatever...)

Judging will be focussed on the most creative stories submitted. Length does not determine creativity, so try to make your story have some 'punch'.

First Prize = 15,000 ATS points
Second Prize = 10,000 ATS points
Third Prize = 5,000 ATS points
Fourth Prize = 2,500 ATS points
Fifth Prize = 2,000 ATS points

All entries receive writer status upon successful submission.

RULES

1) Story MUST contain 15,000 characters or more.
2) Story MUST follow all T&C rules
3) Title must contain (MSDWC)
4) 1 entry per member

Any story less that 15,000 characters or that violates the Terms and Conditions WILL be disqualified. It might be a good idea to read them (again) if you are a new member.

Time restraint.

All stories must be entered by August 31 at midnight.

Judging.

Any members willing to help in the judging will be awarded 1000 ATS points for the pleasant task of reading the entries. Submitting a story AND judging will not be allowed.

Any questions, please ask on this thread.

[edit on 28/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hey, this is pretty cool, I just have one question, and Im hoping I didnt miss it in your post, but where do we submit the stories?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Good question...

Right here in the Short Story forum.

Make sure you put (MSDWC) in the title so we know it's for the contest.

[edit on 27/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Cheers, no problem

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I hope this quetsion isnt to silly, whats the easiest way to figure out how many characters you have? That way you can make sure you dont get under 15000. Does microsoft word do that?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
When you type text for your posts there appears a line below the box.

Mine looks like this;

characters (30000 maximum)

On the left side of that word is a box which counts down the characters you are using...

For instance, just before this sentence, it read 29781, meaning that the first few lines above were 219 characters long.

As you can see, even spaces and punctuation are characters.

Note: it's always best to use Notepad or the draft function to write your story up. i'd hate to hear of someone losing their story just as they're posting it. it's happened to me more than once.

As you answer to this thread, check below your text box for the character count before hitting the Post Reply button.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Since I am not going to be entering this contest, I will throw out an idea someone could use.

How about a story from the viewpoint of an internet hoaxer, and maybe what happens to him if he makes up a story and the government thinks it's true. Or the real aliens think it's true?

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oooo... *cracks knuckles*

Although you did not know it Masqua, you've fantastic timing!! (I've officially gotten to the point of perpetual summer boredom...)

Are we allowed to enter more than one story?

(...why I bother asking, I'm not sure. Takes me forever to finish just one story...)

[edit on 28-7-2007 by Diseria]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Good question, Diseria.

For this contest, only 1 story per member.

You can write several, but enter the one you think is best in the contest.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
How about a story from the viewpoint of an internet hoaxer, and maybe what happens to him if he makes up a story and the government thinks it's true. Or the real aliens think it's true?

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If I wanted to first post the story on another forum for critiquing, would there be any sort of conflict there? I use the same nickname and everything, I just wouldn't want to be later accused of plagiarism

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You mean in the Collaborative Fiction forum first, and then into the contest?

Thinking out loud here, but I think you mean another website... hmmm

Offhand, I'd say that I'd need definitive proof that it was you who wrote it. That mightn't be an easy thing to prove, imo.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
My muse must be sleeping off a drunk behind a dumpster somewhere, but I shall see if I can come up with an entry.

At first I thought you said 15000 words, which is damn near a novel. I almost flipped out

Let me go find something to write about

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
You mean in the Collaborative Fiction forum first, and then into the contest?

Thinking out loud here, but I think you mean another website... hmmm

Offhand, I'd say that I'd need definitive proof that it was you who wrote it. That mightn't be an easy thing to prove, imo.

Yes, I meant a different, non-ATS related website. I'll just play it safe and if I do actually write something, just put it here.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
At first I thought you said 15000 words, which is damn near a novel. I almost flipped out

Nope, mrwupy... characters, which are easier than cooking up a good chili.

Your quote and my reply is exactly 284 characters.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Esoterica

I think that's the best plan...

But, how's this for an idea? Use the Short Story forum to work on your story.

Just start a thread with an idea and an outline of what you'd like to do and ask for some input before actually writing the story for the contest. Nothing wrong with that at all.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yeah, new contest, time to clean out the cobwebs.

originally posted by masqua Submitting a story AND judging will not be allowed.

Would it be possible to submit a story but disqualify it from being judged as part of the contest. I'd like to help with the judging but have been hanging out to write again.

cheers mojo.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
m4s

I can use the help with the judging, that's for certain, but let's see how many come forward before you decide to submit a story into the contest.

Write the story without the (MSDWC) in the title and post it in the Short Story forum. then, if there is enough interest in judging, you can decide to opt out and submit into the contest by just U2Uing me and I'll add the needed edit to the title.

You are already the second volunteeer I've had come forward.

Note to all members, new or 'long in the tooth';
Volunteering is open to every member and all that's required is reading what is usually a great bunch of stories. If you like to read and know what you like, either post on this thread or U2U me. At the end of the judging, you WILL receive 1000 ATS points for helping out. Once a reasonable number of volunteers come forward, this opportunity will close.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, how many stories do you expect to see come out of this masqua?

I would hope for at least fifty, considering the level of talent here.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It depends, really... because a lot of members are on summer holidays, it could get busy. On the other hand, if a story like the O'Hare UFO thread breaks, it could keep the submissions down.

My guess would be about 25 -30 entries, but I could be way off too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join