It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something strange about the evolution of man?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Sorry, can't buy that one. Natural selection isn't random chance. It's the passing down of traits that enhance survival generation by generation in tiny, incremental changes over vast periods of time.

The definition of intelligence (for our purposes, leaving out the spy kind, and a reference to "angels")

in·tel·li·gence (n-tl-jns)
n.
a. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
b. The faculty of thought and reason.
c. Superior powers of mind.

Natural selection has no capacity to acquire knowledge, let alone apply it, it doesn't think, and it has no mind. It's just nature moving forward and ever changing.

So, sorry, Tuning Spork, can't go with you on that one, but you do raise interesting subjects for conversation.

You bring the flame, I'll bring the large dead mammal, and we'll have a BBQ.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Tuning Spork that would explain why the fly will "bug" you for hours but when you make the move to kill it, it flies away only to return after you have retreated, or why the roach, spiders, mice etc. instinctively know to be scared of us and run. (They are more afraid of you then you are of them, etc. etc.... )
Although the cow is a whole different story, the dairy cow seems to be aware and somewhat intelligent while the beef cow seems to be dead at birth with absolutely no since of survival, I have witnessed it 1000 times on the farm.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Natural selection has no capacity to acquire knowledge, let alone apply it, it doesn't think, and it has no mind. It's just nature moving forward and ever changing.

Well, of course, intelligence, itself, has no "mind". But I am postulating that life, itself, does have something somewhat akin to a "mind". Meaning: Survival "instincts" come from the fact that life, apparantly, seems to care whether or not it survives.

You bring the flame, I'll bring the large dead mammal, and we'll have a BBQ.

Deal!

I loves me some intelligently designed medium-rare steaks.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
wow i never thought of that good point man!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join