It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think UFOs so often have prominent lights?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Wow! HaveSeen4Myself, that's quite a story! Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine what it must have been like to experience that missing time and maybe someday you might be able to find out what really happened during those missing hours.
But, lol, if it had happened to me, I'm not sure if I myself would really want to know about that. Very strange and unsettling experience... I must say.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
thats a really wild story, weird.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
light and sound are the two most beautiful things in our universe. to duplicate the sights that we, and they, see in the Universe is a form of art all in itself.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
all the points being brought up for the most part i believe true. great topic.

and i have talked about in the past to my friends that if aliens were here to hurt us they would have done so long ago.
OR lol

dont you guys think maybe for a second that the aliens are maybe a lot like us...
more than we know possibly, and that maybe after a hard day doing whatever aliens do for a living, they have one too many with their alien pals and go for good old fashioned "screw with the people on planet earth" kinda joyride thru busy intersections and neighbourhoods, sometimes getting a rise out of people outside to see the flashing lights and other spacecraft manuevers.

AND THEYLL NEVER BE PULLED OVER!!!

yeah sure maybe they make some crazy crop circles and mutilate a few animals here and there

j/k

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Little Penguin
What does everyone think about this?

It's very curious subject. The fact that there are so many different type of UFO lights further complicates the question. I also think it's weird that UFOs basically expose themselves at will. Going from visible to invisible, emitting light to a dark object, showing up on radar then becoming invisible.

Back to the lights : I'll take a huge leap here and assume that UFOs are kinda similar to our aircraft in one sense : there are a lot of them, all shapes, sizes, functions, propulsion systems, weapons systems(?), other counter measures and so on; each of which produces whatever kind of light.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by discomfit]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It really depends on the type of UFO.

As I believe at least 60% of UFO sightings are of terrestrial origin, I would believe the lights on those craft are used for the same reasons as all of our other aircraft.

Those of extraterrestrial origin, I have to go with them having something to do with the propulsion system and also as an identifier to other craft to avoid a crash. (even in deep space, it would make no sense to not let other potential craft know your location).

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
Why arent they telepathic? Why do they even need spacecraft, and live vicariously through sheep to spy on us?

I don't see any reason to assume that they are telepathic or that they wouldn't need some sort of transportation to travel in.

Light would not be a good way for these things to communicate. If they are from distant planets light would take waaay to long to server as a good communications medium. Also light is subject to atmospheric effects, gravity and other random particle interference.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hey Penguin,

Interesting question! I asked the same a while back... these answers might help you too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Chaz.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit

Originally posted by 3_Libras
Why arent they telepathic? Why do they even need spacecraft, and live vicariously through sheep to spy on us?

I don't see any reason to assume that they are telepathic or that they wouldn't need some sort of transportation to travel in.

Light would not be a good way for these things to communicate. If they are from distant planets light would take waaay to long to server as a good communications medium. Also light is subject to atmospheric effects, gravity and other random particle interference.

In regards to your first sentence, that was exactly my point...but thanks for clearing it up. As for your second sentence, I never said light was a good way to communicate. Overall I was saying that its quite near impossible, without knowing what you're talking about, to speculate on if UFOs do use light, and what they use it for (if they even use it).

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Yeah i never really thought about that before...

Perhaps its a communication device? for us or for use on their home planet. Dont forget, we have no idea what life is like where they are from, and it seems like blinking light could be used like telegraphs lol. if they blinked in a certain pattern. anyway. and maybe life on their planet it like extemely foggy and they use the lights just to locate the spacecrafts.

But for the most part I guess i always assumed they were from the technology the spacecrafts used, like an afterburner or something. Perhaps its a way for the craft to release all the energy it creates.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
Yeah i never really thought about that before...

Perhaps its a communication device? for us or for use on their home planet. Dont forget, we have no idea what life is like where they are from, and it seems like blinking light could be used like telegraphs lol. if they blinked in a certain pattern. anyway. and maybe life on their planet it like extemely foggy and they use the lights just to locate the spacecrafts.

But for the most part I guess i always assumed they were from the technology the spacecrafts used, like an afterburner or something. Perhaps its a way for the craft to release all the energy it creates.

All very feasible, especially the last. Just as you mentioned that thing about using blinking lights like telegraphs, I remember Mr Hollands Opus I think the movie was called, where the main character made a light show for his son, which was supposedly mimics the music being played, so that music is like translated for deaf people.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   

]Originaly posted by discomfit
It's very curious subject. The fact that there are so many different type of UFO lights further complicates the question. I also think it's weird that UFOs basically expose themselves at will. Going from visible to invisible, emitting light to a dark object, showing up on radar then becoming invisible.
[/quote

Excellent point

From what I gather the amount of energy needed to achieve anti gravity is enourmous. This alone could be a huge contibuting factor to SOME of the sightings involving light. As most of you know, whenever there is electrical current there is a presence of an EMF(electro magnetic field). Whenever there is a strong electrical field and the ability for capacitance, sometimes this causes an ionization effect in the surrounding air that will glow. Essentially exciting the air around it. A classic example of this is effect happens when you hould a flourescent bulb(tube) next to an activated Tesla coil. Without the bulb being pluged in to the socket it will glow. This happens due to a form of inductance from the strong EMF emminating from the Tesla coil, that cause the gases to glow. Many of the gasses that are within are atmosphere react with high electrical charges.
Also if anybody has ever built a Lifter and turned it on at night it's pretty cool to watch them glow

Another explination could be a result of the anti gravity it self. From what I understand about anti grav is that you are essentially bending and shifting through space and time. And due to the space time anomoly it in turn bends and distorts the light around it.

But as discomfit posted there could be endless reasons for the lights. We now send information back and forth with light(fiber optics and such). We can use infrared beams to detect heat, life signs. Also certain elements glow certain colors as well under UV light and the such. All forms of light could be the effect of the space time disturbance.

My two pennies anyway

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i think they use bright lights to make people look up and notice them because if there wasn't one person to notice them why would there be a nasa also evan with the bright lights most people dont belive in them

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well supposedly the reason as to why UFOs have lights is because some of them (alien crafts) are made out of pure energy or something of the like. You don't think real aliens would be using anything "conventional" do you? LEDs? lol

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smugallo
I always thought i would be some kind of after effect or something perhaps from their propulsion system, not overly sure but a good though provoking post!

Right on the money!
Their craft is pure energy. They don't need lights to see, they are way beyond using their eyes to navigate. I always thought the light was from their craft reacting to our atmosphere, until I saw the NASA videos of unidentified craft in SPACE!

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The lights the human eye sees are in our general colour spectrum, red orange yellow green blue indigo and violet.
I wonder if the lights were analysed under, oh lets just say infra red or ultra violet, that some further data could be obtained.
The speeds that these craft move at, a tail light being out isn’t stop a collision!

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Does it seem bizarre to anyone else that an alien spacecraft would have bright navigational-type lights? "UFOs" in many pictures do. In a way it's one of the weirdest things about many UFO sightings in general.... what's up with the lights?
[edit on 27-7-2007 by The Little Penguin]

OK.

See the lightbulb in your room?

When you carry out any reaction in nature that excites molecules sufficiently there is a by-product from the energy transfer.

You get three things as a byproduct usually - heat, light and fuel waste, which is why your bulb gets hot and shines, and the filament oxidises slowly.

Light is a form of radiation that is in the visible spectrum.

The best other examples I can give you is a nuclear explosion flash, where - briefly - the reaction is so intense and so much energy conversion is taking place that the glow is brighter than the sun

Then there is the the sun itself which is a permanent nuclear reaction that throws out all kinds of differing radiation and a whole lot of light.

I'd hypothesize then, that the majority of lights seen on UFO's may be a by-product of the propulsion systems involved in keeping the objects in the air. The very fact that they appear to be white hot and very intense at times suggests that alot of energy is at play.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
Having seen 4 UFO's in the space of 10 minutes last night, and getting a perfect view of one, i think this is the reason why they are "prominent lights";

Wow you just reminded me of a dream I had last night about seeing some UFOs! If i'm correct there would have been about 4 as well, different shapes and followed by fighter jets. I remember thinking "it's disclosure time!". Haha that's weird because I never dream of UFOs and I very rarely remember my dreams, you just reminded me of it.

Anyway as for UFO lights, well surely when they get home they have to land right? And they don't want to land on their mates now do they? Think about when we land planes or helicopters in the night, the runway is lit up and the flying object is lit up, maybe they just have the same sort of system?

Or another possibility is that maybe they have harnessed some kind of light-energy and the lights round the edges of a triangle UFO for example, act kind of like thrusters.

If it's true that different types of UFO come from different corners of the galaxy then maybe they all use light for different things.

[edit on 28/7/2007 by malganis]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Why would an advanced alien spacecraft NEED lights? To impress us? Or is it part of their propulsion system?

Similar questions have been raised quite a few times during the last sixty or so years. I think I've previously posted on ATS my notes on some of the thoughts on this subject. I'll cut and paste the relevant notes below in case they are of interest.

The British Ministry of Defence report on UFOs (the Condign report on "UAPs") released on their website in May 2006 says reports of glowing UFOs are due to a naturally occuring plasma.

Other theories in relation to lights associated with UFOs (particularly reports that UFOs surrounded by a "glowing" layer) have included:

(a) Paul Hill states that there is an "illuminated and illuminating sheath of atmosphere [around UFOs which] is a sheath of ionized and excited air molecules often called a plasma" which Hill asserts is caused by a "power-plant-connected, ionizing, wave type radiation from the UFO" [1]

(b) James M Campbell has written a book which discusses reports indicating the presence of plasma, contending that this plasma is the result of "the propulsion system of UFOs [involving] the emission of microwave energy". [2]

(c) A different connection between vehicles and plasma was put forward by Stanton T Friedman in his written statement evidence to the Roush hearing. He referred to publications relating to "interactions between vehicles and plasmas", stating that "there is a body of technology which I have studied and which leads me to believe that an entirely new approach to high speed air and space propulsion could be developed using the interactions between magnetic and electric fields with electrically conducting fluids adjacent to the vehicles to produce thrust or lift and reduce or eliminate such other hypersonic flight problems as drag, sonic boom, heating, etc". [3]

[1] Hill, Paul R in his "Unconventional Flying Objects : A Scientific Analysis" (1995) at 53-54 (in Section III) of the Hampton Roads softcover edition.

[2] Campbell, James M in Chapters 3 and 6 of his book "Ufology". The text of the relevant book is available online at:
www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk...

www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk...

[3] Friedman, Stanton J in the Roush Hearing (the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Science and Astronautics "Symposium on Unidentified Flying Objects" on 1968.0729) at page 217 of the transcript of the Ninetieth Congress, Second Session, Number 7. Edited and annotated transcript presented by Fuller, John in his "Aliens in the Skies" (1969). Complete transcript available free online at the following links:

ncas.sawco.com...

www.project1947.com...

Hope this helps you.

Of course, the lights could simply be the lights from aircraft etc...

All the best,

Isaac Koi

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Does it seem bizarre to anyone else that an alien spacecraft would have bright navigational-type lights? "UFOs" in many pictures do. In a way it's one of the weirdest things about many UFO sightings in general.... what's up with the lights?

Excellent question, lil' penguin.
Have you seen the movie Contact? I think they did an excellent job with the special effects portraying what an alien transport system might conceivably look like and how it would function. It was based on electromagnetics opening a space-time rift. It also gave off a lot of light. Visible and non-visible light are part of the Electromagnetic Spectrum. I think the generation of photons might be a plausable scenario given that a device could generate a very strong electromagnetic and electrogravitic field. What do you think?

Also, take a look at the active topic "UFO close up". It shows a picture of a close up UFO. Take a look here:

UFO Close Up

See how the light emanates from inside the craft? I think this supports my first theory.

Also, another theory might be due to microwave radiation. Microwave radiation has been found within crop circles. If these craft are using microwave radiation, it could explain the internal light as a form of plasma. Have you ever put sheets of aluminum foil or a compact disc in a microwave and seen what happens? It's quite interesting.

[edit on 7/28/2007 by pjslug]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join