It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising Ozone Levels Could Stunt Plant Growth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Rising Ozone Levels Could Stunt Plant Growth

news.yahoo.com

Some scientists have said that one of the benefits of global warming will be a boom in the plant population brought on by higher carbon dioxide levels that feed plants through photosynthesis. Plants do in fact act as an important carbon sink, or means of taking the potent greenhouse gas from the atmosphere.

But other factors, including ozone, come into play and may prevent plants from taking up as much carbon dioxide as they can get their leaves on.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
After years of telling us carbon dioxide is the big problem, it's about time someone told us that it accelerates plant life. But of course, now it's not carbon dioxide that will hurt us. Ozone is the new harbinger of global warming.

Although carbon dioxide woule make plant life flourish, they say the high carbon dioxide levels would lead to more ozone, slowing down plant growth. They say higher co2 levels caused the plants to absorb less ozone.

The authors of the study still admit there are "uncertainties" still, as the theory needs to be tested on many more varieties of plants.

Thoughts? Comments?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well sunlight and c02 are the main 'food sources' of plants, but plants are not a panancea.

At the level that we have been putting c02 in the atmosphere, plants just can't keep up,
sure they'll thrive and have food sources (until the temperature increase from AICC kills them),
but Humans can't handle that level of c02.

Carbon Dioxide is one of the major problems in AICC, while it is good for plants in their
consumption, it creates climate change that itself ends up killing the plants from either
cooling their environment or heating up their environment, not to mention the threat from
invasive species that move into different regions as the local climate becomes
hospitable and survivable for them.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

but Humans can't handle that level of c02.

Give me a break. Humans can't handle that level of CO2?
Seriously.

So now, too much ozone. First, they said we needed to ban some products to save the ozone, and now it backfires on us. So what does it says about what we should do about global warming? Nothing at all, anyway, it's natural.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Give me a break. Humans can't handle that level of CO2?
Seriously.

If we keep putting more c02 into the atmosphere than plants can process and continue to
destroy those very plants (especially the Amazon), the atmosphere will become so
c02 abundant that Humans wont be able to exist without special protective filters, like gas masks.

So now, too much ozone. First, they said we needed to ban some products to save the ozone, and now it backfires on us.

If we had'nt banned the chemicals we did, you'd most likely be forced to live in a bunker
right now, since it would have continued to destroy the ozone layer and thusly expose
the Earth's surface to incredibly unsafe amounts of radiation.

And yes, to much Ozone can be a bad thing, there is a balance to these things that
is being screwed with.

So what does it says about what we should do about global warming? Nothing at all, anyway, it's natural.

First of all Global Warming is a misnomer, that is it's an incredibly poor choice in
name since it suggests somehow the entire planet's going to become an oven instantly.

Secondly it's saying that we need to stop or atleast start reducing the amount of
GHG's we pump into the atmosphere so that the balance can be restored and the Ozone
will exist at a level thick enough to block out the majority of stellar radiation but
thin enough to not have adverse effects on life on the planet.

Thirdly if you want to go on believing corporate oil funded "Climate Change is
natural" bullcrap go ahead.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This is the sort of reason why I don't really do a whole lot to prevent global warming. Because I really have no idea what to do. Here I'd been thinking that ozone was a good thing, and now scientists are telling me that it's making the problem worse. This is almost as bad as the time I heard that pollution was causing global diming which was slowing global warming.

To be perfectly honest, I'm far too confused about what to do in order to make much of a difference at this time.

new topics

top topics

join