It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion at a space tourism test site...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Could just be tragic accident, sure. But as the German soldier on the old show "Laugh-In" would say...

"Veeeeeeeeery Innnnnnnteresting!"

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thank you, Penguin, for bringing this up, via BBC News. Shows a world wide interest and concern for manned space flight.
This Mojave Desert area has had decades long history of man's triumphant successes and tragic failures in wanting to go higher, further, faster, from the X planes to space shuttle to Burt Rutan's space efforts. The space port is near Edwards Air Force Base.
The accident will be felt in the community.

Interesting also is another place nearby where amateur rocketry is done.
Amateur rocketry group

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It sounds like what they're doing is a potentially very risky endeavour, and I suppose there's lots of possibility for mishaps.

However, I guess my time on ATS has gotten to me, because when I saw that article, my initial thought was:

Does SOMEBODY not want civilians to see SOMETHING, maybe?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I realized after I posted to your thread, in which forum it was. Yeah, I'ld say you've been on ATS too long

Hey, anyway, here's something for you. California City is a community next to the space port.
UFO
Wish I were lucky to have seen this.

So while I would say that this accident is just that, nothing conspiratorial, this area has contributed to many neat sightings. Most of what I've ever seen, while neat to see, can be explained as military/govt. But, I tell you, there are some weird sightings that defy the imagination. My best friend was driving at night on a highway that runs next to Edwards, and she swears she saw a flying, green boxcar. This person would be the last to believe in anything unidentified flying around BTW. Go figure.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by desert]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Funny but ive never found death "very interesting" - here is a tragedy of people working to push the limits. Or were the deaths of Apollo 1 "interesting" - sometimes the callous nature of people on this board begger my belief - people get hurt building ships or dams or roads and sometimes they die - IT ISNT ALWAYS SOME CONSPIRACY !!! Go work on a major project and look at the Risk Register sometime - look at the factor involved - this isnt a fan boy dream this is hard real engineering and yes people get hurt.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
Funny but ive never found death "very interesting" - here is a tragedy of people working to push the limits. Or were the deaths of Apollo 1 "interesting" - sometimes the callous nature of people on this board begger my belief - people get hurt building ships or dams or roads and sometimes they die - IT ISNT ALWAYS SOME CONSPIRACY !!!

I don't really appreciate you suggesting that I'm treating this with a "callous nature". I used the phrase "tragic accident" in my first sentence in this post. Jeez.

And actually, yes, it IS "very interesting" for a number of reasons. I wasn't trying to make light of it, really, I was just pointing out that it was certainly grist for the mill when so much has been made of the idea that NASA footage shows a bunch of crazy stuff whizzing around in the upper atmosphere. Obviously civilian space flight would pose a threat to the cover-up, if (I said "if"!) such a cover-up exists.

I'm not some conspiracy nut; and I don't know anything about the incident other than the BBC story, so I don't have an opinion on what happened and whether it's anything more than an accident.

I don't really think I should be pilloried for pointing out that sabotage of private space flight is extremely consistent with some theories regarding the reality of the UFO situation. I was just pointing out that if you buy into those theories at all, you might find such an accident suspicious and want to keep tabs on the story.

Anyone trying to paint me as a person who is dismissive of the loss of life and/or a person who readily believes any conspiracy thrown his way is in for a frustrating time, because I am neither.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
But, I tell you, there are some weird sightings that defy the imagination. My best friend was driving at night on a highway that runs next to Edwards, and she swears she saw a flying, green boxcar. This person would be the last to believe in anything unidentified flying around BTW. Go figure.

I don't know if you ever listen to the Paracast (it's a pretty level-headed podcast/radio show on the paranormal) but one of their frequent guests, Jeff Ritzman, has mentioned people saying they've seen really improbable things like an 18-wheeler truck flying through the air.

It makes sense to me that if you see something your brain cannot explain, you might actually percieve it as something different. Perception is a complicated thing and isn't just a straight eyes-to-brain affair.

So may it wasn't a boxcar, but something else entirely... but her brain processed it and was like, "well, I don't know how the hell to process this... hmm, let's use a boxcar to represent it!".

[edit on 27-7-2007 by The Little Penguin]

new topics

top topics

join