It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran buys 250 long-distance Sukhoi fighter-bombers, 20 fuel tankers, from Russia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

You sure about that ASSUMPTION? Have you not read this thread? Do 250 long distance jets not have the capability of traveling overseas? Your ignorance astounds me.

Not to mention their 3000+ km missiles and rockets

Missiles and Rockets

Air-to-Air Missiles

* AIM-7 Sparrow
* AIM-9 Sidewinder
* AIM-54 Phoenix
* Vympel R-27
* Vympel R-73

Air-to-Surface Missiles

* AGM-62 Walleye
* AGM-65 Maverick
* AGM-45 Shrike
* AGM-78 Standard
* BGM-71 TOW

Surface-to-Air Missiles

* Raytheon MIM-23 Hawk (also used on the F-14 as and air to air missile)
* Tor Missile System
* S-200
* S-300
* Misagh-1
* Misagh-2
* RBS-70
* SA-7 Grail
* SA-16 Gimlet
* SA-18 Grouse

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: Israel has a lot more to worry about then the US though because they are the ones who are going to get a taste of Iran's military might first.

[edit on 6-22-2008 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Assumption? I don't think so.

Tehran and the Russian Rosoboronexport arms group are about to sign a mammoth arms deal running into tens of billions of dollars for the sale to Tehran of 250 Su-30MKM warplanes and 20 IL-78 MKI fuel tankers.

SU-30MKM.

Fuel capacity, kg 9640

Combat load, kg 8000

Range, km:

without refueling 3000

with one refueling 5200

www.knaapo.ru...

That's range, not combat radius. For combat radius effectively half that, and take away more range from the drag internal stores stores create.
IL-76 refuelling plane can barely scrape by with 4000km, direct.

Distance from Tehran to New York, is 5317 nautical miles, or 9847.084 km. Keep in mind, the aircraft have to fly there AND back, AND, great circle takes it right over Europe.

gc.kls2.com... www.metric-conversions.org...

• They aircraft cannot even reach most of Europe.
  • The refueller can barely reach most of Europe
  • There is no super efficiant cruise missile that can fly thousands apon thousands of miles launched from a Su-30
  • The aircraft would fly right over Europe and get blown up.

Oh, and there was no such deal in the first place, so even if they were stealth, even if they had a mystical range, it does not matter.

Meanwhile, Israeli media reports last week that Iran is in negotiations to buy 250 Sukhoi Su-30s to replace its entire fighter arsenal were denied by Russian arms export firm Rosoboronexport, which called the reports a "delusion".

www.flightglobal.com...

[edit on 22/6/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

My bad I stand corrected... looks like I'm the ignorant one. I'm a newbie to this military stuff.

I am right about Israel having problems with them though as they are close enough to each other for a full blown war.

[edit on 6-22-2008 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It all does not matter anyway.I don't think we will be attacking Iran any time soon. We will be in Iraq for quite a while I think....just look at how the training of Iraqi Security forces is going.....

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Debka , that Source is well known for BS and disinfo ,

i am not going to be convinced by hideous israeli-american propaganda campaign ,

also , other sources confirming the deal are not available

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by James R. Hawkwood

Iran's history of military tactics (Iran/Iraq War) is hardly the stuff they teach at academies. Full frontal assaults and horrible use of armor and artillery. Any battle against Iran would be similar to the First Gulf War.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by pavil]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join