It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran buys 250 long-distance Sukhoi fighter-bombers, 20 fuel tankers, from Russia????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Tehran and the Russian Rosoboronexport arms group are about to sign a mammoth arms deal for the sale to Tehran of 250 Su-30MKM warplanes and 20 IL-78 MKI fuel tankers. DEBKAfile’s military sources report Iran has stipulated delivery of the first aircraft before the end of 2007.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

LINK

This is not a wise move by Russia. I have little doubt that this deal is, at least to some degree, is to "stick it" to US

I am concerned about the nasty thought this brings to mind.

Russia suppoprts Iran with military equipment and "technicians"

the US loads up Iraq and around and we have ourselves a good old cold war proxy war.

Edited to add link

[edit on 7/27/2007 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Another source:

www.nxtbook.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Why dont you post arm sales to Countries by the USA..? they FAR outpace the rest of the world...the largest arms dealer on earth in the US...spreading mines, munitions, cluster bombs....all types of horrific weaponry...when the US stops arming, so will the rest of the world

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I mean really. Do you expect them to sit by idly while Israel arms itself to the teeth and just sit there and say Oh please come and bomb our nuclear sites that we have spent billions on? Of course they will blow them right back. Its normal. You mess with me and I mess with you right back 2x over. Some people however just think its been poor Israel being picked on when most of it has been retaliation for acts committed.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Oh, I don't know.

lets see, was it Israel starting wars, or the other ME countries teaming up and went Israel's land, after they made it useable-funny how they did not care about it before.

Where as Israel did actually start one war, it was only because the other countries had all jets/tanks......on Israel's border.

We all know a few ME countries have fought several "Proxy" wars using terrorist.

We also know as a few countries in ME get weapons, they give them to the terrorist to attack Israel-war by proxy.

my point is yes, Israel does have legitimate concerns, as those weapons will find there way into terrorist hands.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Where do you think the Iranians are going to get their arms from? Not from the US...

Russia sells them arms, as does China. That's not new news. You act a though they should leave Iran defenseless, but arming Iran is crucial for them. I assure you that a US invasion of Iran is not going to go down without additional resistance from not only Iran, but Russia, China and India as well.

Most people who support a US invasion of Iran fail to see the serious repercussions such action would generate from the other major superpowers of the world. An illegal invasion of Iran would probably lead to a much larger war , the US vs. the Russians, Chinese and possibly the Indians. WE CAN'T WIN THAT WAR.

China and Russia both see the increased US presence in the middle east as a threat, and this is but one way to cover themselves. The US gets it's oil largely from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq, while Iran's oil goes to Russia and China. A US invasion would significantly cut into those countries oil supply, and they're NOT going to allow that. Not without a fight.

What would the US do if these countries started threatening to invade Saudi Arabia, etc.? It's the same problem, just that the US is on the losing side either way.

[edit on 8/29/2007 by ~Vixen~]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I agree with Vixen.

Also, why is it that Iranian arms purchases makes news? Many countries do, and go completely unnoticed.

Some countries are posing a threat to them. I feel, if this is something released to the public, it probably isn't planned to be anything malicious, just to help let the world know Iran isn't entirely defensless and dependent on allied countries.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I wonder if this could be related? A Russian air base in Kyrgyzstan has had its electricity supply cut off for more than three days. They didn't pay their electricity bills...

Electricity cut off at Russian air base in Kyrgyzstan

For more than three days, Russian Kant air base has been cut off from electricity. As a REGNUM correspondent is told at the Kyrgyz Defense Ministry today, the reason is debt of the airbase to local energy suppliers.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ju stab urden
Also, why is it that Iranian arms purchases makes news? Many countries do, and go completely unnoticed.

Because currently Americans appear to have an Iranian fetish. Speaking of arms deals, Indonesia recently got a massive loan from Russia for the specific purpose of purchasing military choppers and submarines.

Indonesia gets 1 billion USD loan for Russian arms

August 21, 2007

Indonesia has got 1 billion U.S. dollars in loan from Russia to buy military helicopters and submarines from the country, local press said Tuesday.

The Indonesian Defense Ministry will use the loan to buy 10 MI- 17 helicopters, five MI-35P helicopters, two submarines, 20 infantry vehicles and weapon systems for four Sukhoi jetfighters already in service with the Air Force.

Of course, it's not as big as the Iranian deal, but it's still an arms deal. And it probably went under most people's radar. But then again a lot of these things go under the radar. Especially if it's the US doing the deal.

Perhaps I should post some highlights in regards to this, news from "the other side" so to speak.

ElBaradei slams US arms deals

Sun, 26 Aug 2007
Source: AP

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog has criticized US arms deal with the Zionist regime, saying the move could lead to a Mideast arms race.

In an interview with the Austrian news weekly Profil, Mohamed ElBaradei, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said the money should rather be spent on regional development projects to improve human rights, bolster education, and fight poverty, the Associated Press reported.

"Pouring more money into arms is not going to resolve the issue," ElBaradei said.

"You can end up in a situation like the Cold War in the past ... Does that provide security? Does that provide stability? It doesn't," ElBaradei, a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, added.

And, and, earlier than that:

Stop exporting death

August 06, 2007

The U.S. government's recent announcement of its providing a large batch of advanced weapons to Arabian allies and Israel has caused wide concern. What will be the impact of this U.S. act on the Middle East, a region already in disorder? For a long time, as many countries believe, Washington has been creating terror and split in this region so as to gain opportunities to sell weapons there, and the U.S. arms sale plan would intensify Middle East disturbance.

In the world pattern of weaponry trade, the U.S. annual exports have been averaging 40 percent of world total since 1991. The sales stood between 10 to 13 billion U.S. dollars since 2001, and even hit a record of 15 billion dollars in 2006. The U.S. leads the world in sales of munitions as a whole, ground-to-air missiles and warships.[...]

So now, looking back at it all, this recent Russo-Iranian deal seems more like a response to US arms deals around the region.

Remember, there's always two sides to a story.

top topics

join