It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

aquafina and dasani, bottled tap water!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Check out this article. The owners are admitting and putting on the label that these bottles come from a public source! I cant beleive i go to a baseball game and pay 4 dollars for bottled tap!!

bottled tap

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Coke used to sell Dasani in the UK a few years back until it was revealed that it was just bottled tap water.

After that came out the whole brand collapsed and they no longer sell it. I think they were ordered to cease production too.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Really? as far as i know this is the first time we are hearing this in the US. At least it will be on the label now. Im sticking with poland spring!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't understand the surprise here.

This was widely reported when both the Coke & Pepsi version came out. It was no secret at all that both these brands were just filtered tap water.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I knew Desani had a weird taste to it.
I just could not put my finger on it. I guess it was
just tap water.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
just tap water.

Dasani also has a hint of salt in it. You can really taste the salt sometimes. I dunno why anyone would put salt in a drink that is supposed to hydrate you. I've even caught myself purposely going out of my way to get a dasani because i was in the mood for a salty snack!!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by Equinox99
just tap water.

Dasani also has a hint of salt in it. You can really taste the salt sometimes. I dunno why anyone would put salt in a drink that is supposed to hydrate you. I've even caught myself purposely going out of my way to get a dasani because i was in the mood for a salty snack!!
Sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade contain salt. This is why they talk about replenishing electrolytes lost through sweat.

Salt = electrolyte.

Probablt why they put salt in Dasani too.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by NRen2k5]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Check out this article. The owners are admitting and putting on the label that these bottles come from a public source! I cant beleive i go to a baseball game and pay 4 dollars for bottled tap!!

bottled tap
You pay more for EVERYTHING at a baseball game.

In my opinion, any cost is too expensive for bottled water.

If you want relatively clean water, use a tap filter. It won't get rid of everything, and it'll still cost you something, but much less than that silly bottled water.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Read the label...

It is made up of water from public sources filtered by reverse osmosis, and minerals added to tase.

This said to me, dunno bout you, Dasani is purified water...

I love the flavor of dasani, it tastes like the mountain water from where I grew up.

-ADHD

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I guess I don't understand what the big problem is here. Whether it comes from the tap, a well, a spring, or the ocean it shouldn't matter so long as it is purified (which it is). On that note, water has to come from somewhere, and the original sources for all purified water on earth originally started in rivers, wells, springs, lakes, and the like. The thing I have never understood why people buy those little bottles of water from companies like Dasani, Avian, or Aquafina for a few dollars when they can buy gallons of purified water at local grocery stores for 20-35 cents per gallon.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
... The thing I have never understood why people buy those little bottles of water from companies like Dasani, Avian, or Aquafina for a few dollars when they can buy gallons of purified water at local grocery stores for 20-35 cents per gallon.

the Why is Marketing....creating a desire or preceived need for a product.

for quite awhile, because 'bottled water' was so expensive,
our local water treatment plant (way out in the boonies)
have installed purified water machines for all us 'less-fortunates'
to get 'free' bottled water....but in gallon jugs

so, If one were so vane, they would only need to purchase a few
bottles of fashionable, haute culture, name-brand bottles.....
then refill them with the public utilities' free water....
to look supremely rich & wasteful, which is a status symbol to be flaunted about.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'm surprised that is legal, I mean false advertising?

I wonder if they ever advertised it as being something other than tap water.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Dunno what the big issue is, they don't claim to be spring waters, that's your assumption. I always knew that it was just filtered "city" water.

Here in Michigan we have a ten cent deposit for can and bottles but only for carbonated things. I think for Ice tea and water and juices we should have the same deposit. That's the only kind of bottles you see as trash on the ground here nowadays. The bottle return deposit has really cleaned up the litter problem for us.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Bottled water is often much higher in bacterial content than tap water, and it lacks fluoride. Overall the standards for tap water (I'm not talking about in Honduras or something) are arguably more strict than bottled water.

www.nrdc.org...
www.case.edu...

Run that tap water through a filter and you're good to go!

I have to say that for flavor, well-drawn mineral-rich hard water (the kind that will leave gigantic stonelike deposits in your tea kettle) is DELICIOUS. I wish I could have it all the time!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is old news. I read an article about this when Coke and Pepsi first got into the bottled water market. There was a quote from one of the Coke execs that basically said that they already had the capability to bottle water at their plants so they used the water that they would make their soft drinks with, purify it, and bottle it. With respect to Coke, the exec stated that they added some minerals and whatnot to give it a distictive taste but it did not affect the sodium content, which is 0%. Honestly, it would have been stupid for these two companies not to jump into the water market. They are basically making tons of money with no real additional costs.

BTW: This article should be moved, this is not a conspiracy just because many of you were duped by clever marketing.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by scooler1]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
They have been doing this for a while.. What kills me is bottled water is a 3.5 billion dollar a year biz! Who would have thought 20 years ago id pay 1.99 for water? WOW!

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I only drink the finest well water in all the land, saving cost on city water and bottled, however I do admit to buying spring water once and a while so I can reuse the bottles! Har har, Dasani kinda tastes like bleach and salt mixed with city water(Fluoride) Good job coca-cola!

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So now that everyone knows that its tap water they may realize that it also has Fluoride in there too.

They don't have to disclose that fluoride is in there as long as they haven't added any extra and that its bottled in the USA.

Imported bottled water has to state if any Fluoride is contained, added or not.

Therefore I recommend drinking Newcastle Brown, it solves all my problems.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Little Penguin
I have to say that for flavor, well-drawn mineral-rich hard water (the kind that will leave gigantic stonelike deposits in your tea kettle) is DELICIOUS. I wish I could have it all the time!

I second that. The water from my well is somewhat hard but it sure does taste good. No chlorine taste either.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by agent violet
I'm surprised that is legal, I mean false advertising?

I wonder if they ever advertised it as being something other than tap water.

It's advertised as bottled water. Not their fault if you beleive it's anything special.

It's tap water, filtered and with additives. Seriosuly, if you ever thought about it, where are they going to get the water, if not the exact same places as the public water systems?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join