It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Drops Charges Against Suspect in British Terror Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Australia Drops Charges Against Suspect in British Terror Attacks

www.abc.net.au

THE Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has dropped the terror charge against Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef.

Commonwealth prosecutors withdrew the charge of supporting a terrorist organisation in Brisbane Magistrates Court this afternoon, following a review of the case by DPP Damian Bugg.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This is just breaking now, there's very little information out there now as to what this really means. I think there'll be a press conference soon where hopefully we'll find out more about Mr. Haneef's current status.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
OK, I'm watching this on CNN International now.

Apparently he's been pretty much cleared of having anything to do with the terrorist plots in the UK. I guess there was some erroneous information that led to his arrest.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Just like I predicted. Like the other guy who was arrested as a terrorist for providing a sim-card to one of the glasgow attackers. They totally jumped the gun on this on this one too

Oh sorry, I totally misread the topic. I just woke up so excuseme for confusing the countries

[edit on 27/7/2007 by PsykoOps]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This case reminds me of the term "sexing up". Remember about a year and a half ago, when the Blair administration was accused of "sexing up" documents?

Anyway, the case against him was pretty tenuous to start with. He was detained at Brisbane airport, about to get on a one way flight to India, to visit his wife and cholicy, newborn daughter. Sounds sus, but with cheap flights these day's and whatnot, it's not entirely implausible.

He is the cousin of one of the perpetrators of the Glasgow attacks apparently, and was accused of "recklessly discharging" a sim card. Initially, it was said that the sim card was in one of the cars in the attacks, and that it was part of a plan to remotely detonate something, from Brisbane. It turned out that the sim card was in someone's house in England.

After the magistrate reviewed the case, the evidence was found to be too weak for Dr. Haneef to stand trial, so he was released. The government then stepped in and canceled his visa, placing him in immigration detention. They have now placed him in residential detention, meaning he can go back to his place.

There were a few questions in the press conference that suggested this wouldn't really have come to light if information hadn't been leaked about the case. They were quickly glossed over.

One thing it has done, is revive the debate, slightly, about Australia's recent terror laws.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Yeah just heard it on the news.

funny though, didn't think anyone was that interested.
I started a thread about Haneef and it ended up pfft...

good to hear the latest developments!

new topics

top topics

join