It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I believe in a creator and not in any particular religion,,,,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hey guys,

I have an interesting topic to tackle. I was born and raised in the catholic church. As I got older (& wiser) I learned to believe none of the rubbish that was pushed on to me as a child. But my problemn is this,,,

I believe in a "Creator". Thats my personal opinion. Not a belief because opinions can be wrong. I dont follow any religion so what denomination would this make me? Atheist? Maybe. I believe that I need to see it to believe it sometimes and believe science over an old a$$ book!!!! Anything guys?????

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by Stress]

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
In theory an Atheist, doesn't believe in a creator, I think what you are is more of an Agnostic.
I have included 2 links, one for Atheist one for Agnostic

www.cogsci.princeton.edu...

www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk...

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I believe in CHAOS, And out of CHAOS patters happen. As for GOD i believe GOD is man made.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Netstorm , thanks,,,that helped alot dude,,,

Spittincobra,,,i think i may agree with you too man

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stress
Netstorm , thanks,,,that helped alot dude,,,

Spittincobra,,,i think i may agree with you too man

Check this one out.
www.jovialatheist.com...

Really puts God in perspective.. and demonstrates very logically how he cannot exist.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
you are a deist, agnostic questions the possibility of ever answering the god question

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
[edit on 1-8-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I have all the time in the world. You can U2U you me if you like to not interrupt the flow of any thread for personal stuff.

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hey lil, thanks for the link. That is some pretty interesting reading materials. I will look at the whole site tonite when I get home from work. I want to give it my undivided attention,,,,,thanks again. Things are clearing up from me,,and its good to see rational thinkers out there alongside myself

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stress
Hey guys,

I have an interesting topic to tackle. I was born and raised in the catholic church. As I got older (& wiser) I learned to believe none of the rubbish that was pushed on to me as a child. But my problemn is this,,,

I believe in a "Creator". Thats my personal opinion. Not a belief because opinions can be wrong. I dont follow any religion so what denomination would this make me? Atheist? Maybe. I believe that I need to see it to believe it sometimes and believe science over an old a$$ book!!!! Anything guys?????

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by Stress]

Don't try too hard to "Classify" yourself into any one group or pre-established community of Theists or Atheists or whatever. The important thing isn't finding the correct "Title" for How & What you think or finding Others who share similar ideas. Labeling you Chosen Ideals and/or Spiritual Beliefs and Non-Beliefs will result in limiting the potential of YOUR PATH to those Labels.

IMO you're just fine leaving it as "Open or Undefined". As long as You understand them that is all that is really needed. In fact, within all the Established Groups almost nobody will see things the same way when it comes to specific details anyway, even within their same group.

But that's just my opinion of course. Some people like the idea of defining Their Mental Consepts to fit along with others. I find it less restrictive when I don't have to abide by someone elses parameters when it comes to My own thoughts.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Here is a test that will let you know what religion you would most likely follow......
beliefnet.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well, In the Old Testament times......God had His prophets and spoke with them.

quote/
"the Word became flesh and dwelt among us" (John 1:14). Christ is truly man and, as man, truly the "icon of the invisible God" (Col. 1:15, 1 Cor. 11:7, 2 Cor. 4:4).
God became man, revealing Himself and the true destiny of human beings in the person of Jesus Christ. Divine life is given to become the life of man.

God is referred to in the plural as in the case of creation in Genesis 12: 6; the angels who appeared to Abraham in Genesis 18: 1 - 6; the Thrice Holy Hymn sung by the angels in Isaiah 6: 1 - 4; the commission of Jesus to the Apostles to baptise all people in the Trinity in Matthew 28: 19; and at Jesus' baptism in Matthew 3: 3 - 17.

Like the early Christians, our religious practices are based on Old Testament sources,
fulfilled in Christ.
These include: synagogue worship; ceremonial meals (like the Last Supper); and the ritual of the Temple. Early Christian worship, as described in Revelation chapters 4 & 5, includes vestments, incense, bowing down in prayer, etc.

You cannot create a God with your own beliefs no matter how you perceive it .....God was from the Beginning and will be right to the end.....He has not changed and will always remain the same!
To make up a god of your choice is just simply foolish and does not justify anything of the TRUTH.

You either trust in God and what the Apostles taught firsthand by Jesus Christ Himself, or you just dont go on creating a god of your choice because SOCIETY and MODERNISM wants you to ........you either believe in the whole truth and accept the words of the Bible as is ....

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If you believe in a creator then you are not a atheist.

Atheist believe that we came from monkeys.

I remember when I was in 6th grade my teacher wanted me to believe that we came from monkeys.

Well I told her she was a monkey and got suspened for name calling my teacher.

My dad even gave me a pat on the back for that.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Stress

Hey, I had the same problem than you. I thought I was an atheist until someone told me I'm not ! lol... I'm kind of an agnostic too.

Russian

Dude...not all people who suscribe to the evolution's theory are necessarly atheist. If you think so...damn, you got some catching up to do...

On a side note.

I'm always pleased to see more and more suscriber of the Chaos Philosophy...whatever you might believe about it.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

Russian

Dude...not all people who suscribe to the evolution's theory are necessarly atheist. If you think so...damn, you got some catching up to do...
Did I say that all who believe in evolution are atheist.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I like that jovialatheist site... Good stuff

I like this

Clear Thinking (or Atheism) is hard, honest, mature, adult work. It demands that you logically and honestly analyze every important claim put before you. Honesty and Clear Thinking demands that you check for the facts of these religious, political, economical or personal claims.

Religion to the contrary, is taught as a passive and easy FAITH or BELIEF, requiring nothing but consent, surrender and obedience. Believe and obey!

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
Here is a test that will let you know what religion you would most likely follow......
beliefnet.com...

Unitarian Universalism lol

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Clear Thinking (or Atheism) is hard, honest, mature, adult work. It demands that you logically and honestly analyze every important claim put before you. Honesty and Clear Thinking demands that you check for the facts of these religious, political, economical or personal claims.

Uhmm.. yeh... It's hard, honest, mature, adult work untill the science conflicts with the Atheist dogma...

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
All Religions were created by men for their own personal benefits and gain. Religions were basically the first laws, before laws were written. They are meant only to be a guideline, not a word for word instructional book on how to live life. Religion continues to be the tool used by men to wage wars, enforce laws and take away the rights of people.

I do not believe in Religion either, however the concept of certain religions especially Hinduism does appeal to me. I know that I do not need to follow the rules of worship, etc, etc from Hinduism or any other religion to confirm my acceptance of "God".

I prefer not be categorized as a Hindu or anything else since I do not simply accept all the doctrines that are preached and do not follow them all. I do not need a name to describe what I already know doesn't need a name.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
you either believe in the whole truth and accept the words of the Bible as is ....

...... or look for the real meaning, untainted by the hand of man with his failings.

The Bible is just one of many thousands of religious texts. Far better to look at what lies behind the words of religions written by men than to swallow politics and dogma blindly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join