It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New X-plane flies at Calif. air base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

New X-plane flies at Calif. air base

news.yahoo.com

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. - An experimental jet that resembles a flying wing successfully flew for the first time in a program that could lead to more fuel-efficient, quieter and higher-capacity aircraft, NASA said Thursday.

The remotely controlled, 500-pound, three-engine jet with a 21-foot wingspan took off July 20, climbed to an altitude of 7,500 feet and landed about a half-hour later, NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This looks like a pretty cool plane, almost a mix between a jet and a flying wing. They are supposed to be quieter and use less fuel, this plane is definatly worth a look.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
That would be the Boeing/NASA BWB (Blended Wing Body), it's been studied
for a few years by the duo.

I was wondering when a scaled model like this would be tested.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Our planes have been sporting the same general look for a while, it would be nice to see something different in the skies. If the test flights show good results, do you think all planes could look like this in 50 years?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Good find

Definitely something to keep an eye on. I think blended wing will make up the next generation of passenger planes.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Good find

Definitely something to keep an eye on. I think blended wing will make up the next generation of passenger planes.

Thanks

Yes its about time we switched it up. I thought planes were doomed to look the same until new propulsion technology came. I like the looks of these.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
do you think all planes could look like this in 50 years?

I don't think all planes will use BWB designs, though I think it may gain some popularity.

I'm willing to bet that there will be three main plane designs by then, if planes are still
the main source of long range travel for more than just trans-oceanic flight.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
sweet this is my first time hearing of this plane.time to go research muahaha thanks for the new omg go learn everything possible about this subject opportunity.

new topics

top topics

join