It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Three Dimensional Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The internet's popularity seems to increase exponentially, with better features available every day. Three dimensional online worlds like second life are also becoming increasingly popular. On these sites people hold meetings, watch movies, play paintball, own property, anything you can think of really.

I think sometime in the future the internet itself could evolve into such a place.

I'm no expert on the matter so I would like some opinions. Does anyone else think this is possible? How long before we could acheive something like this? If not, is the internet going to be stuck with the same general look and layout forever?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I dont think it will stay the same. Im not sure what the future holds but ill tell you this, we are due for something new.
If you think about it a new big thing hasnt been invented for many years, internet for example, just improvements on already available things.
Something new and big is due and maybe it will be a 3 dimensional internet.
People love to interact so its just a matter of someone thinking outside the box.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Hmm, its a good idea...

i think it is a system that would have to evolve along side the internet though - you could start with either an application similar to an MMORPG (like the World of Warcraft route - god that made me sound sad...) or an html page or flash control.

It would take off if you did it right - so in the mean time, get writing! and if you dont know how, learn!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
To be honest I like the computer and the internet and whatnot as a thing I can use for escapism...I dont necessarily want it to become integrated into mainstream life where we live vicariously through avatars.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by 3_Libras]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the input all. I guess the change is inevitable the only question is when people are going to get bored with the current format of the internet.

Originally posted by 2_Libras
I dont necessarily want it to become integrated into mainstream life where we live vicariously through avatars.

Don't worry Libras, by the time the internet evolves into something like this I'm sure there will be plenty of bandwith left over for the "old internet."

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Its all about the user interface - or the humen interface.

Screens, keyboards, a mouse and usually speakers (or h phones) and a mike are all time proven - more or less every computer in the wolrd has them - cheap and effective. The technology is already here (in its bacic needs) all it really needs is demand - if there is a market for thease things to be devoloped to the point where money can be made, and people will have a genuine use for them the various ways we interface will evolve.

IMO the fisrt real ones are likely to be replacements for KB's and the humble mouse, we are gonna be waving our fingers round in thin air looking like morons! help with RSI tho

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well ,see these games (warcraft) are the internet. All the interaction between people is sent via these packets of data which are read by the client software. Full VR will be the same but Any VR world will need a complete immersion interface type. ie VR Googles with 360 sound, hand and body interaction (not to mention a few other parts I am sure will be added)

But these thing are close to reality now. Just real expensive. But soon 10 years maybe this will be a part of your Xbox or TV. More sensing the movements of your body. You think you have internet addicts now.

Wait till the full VR DickA-Tron 5000 come outs. The streets will be calm an quiet LMAO

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Well ,see these games (warcraft) are the internet. All the interaction between people is sent via these packets of data which are read by the client software. Full VR will be the same but Any VR world will need a complete immersion interface type.

Indeed, at first it could start as a niche thing, then as it became more popular new computers could be sold with the software need already installed.

But these thing are close to reality now. Just real expensive. But soon 10 years maybe this will be a part of your Xbox or TV.

I believe sony is pondering this idea with the PS3.

Wait till the full VR DickA-Tron 5000 come outs. The streets will be calm an quiet LMAO

Yeah our government would love that,
as if people aren't isolating themselve enough with the current internet. I think society is still adjusting to that very factor, how to know when they are disconnecting themselves from the real world. We need to learn some moderation before we could handle a truly interactive internet.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

Originally posted by ShiftTrio

We need to learn some moderation before we could handle a truly interactive internet.

Indeed.. Moderation is good when it comes to these ''things''.... lol.

There are already motion detectors and what not, and the Eyetoy's ''motion'' functionality, is actually AGES old, and it doesn't even do real motion detecting, it detects changes in the lighting I believe, because at a slightly darker room the motion detecting SUCKS. blah

However, as far as technology goes:
- We already have "touch the air" interfaces.
- We already have "multiple input" interfaces.

There are multiple types of these, one of the more common known being:
IO2 Technology
www.io2technology.com...
www.io2technology.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
You know what could be meant by the 3d internet of course - rather than bringing the real world into the virtual one, bringing the web to the high street.

Remember the japanese (i think) experiment with virtual pacman? VR goggles that let you see the street but also added sprites/avatars of other players - like the strange ills or the big nasty ghosties floating around the park. Ill post a link if i can find one - but it looked pretty fun, and it wasnt that hard to achieve!

So im thinking physical locations as an option for pages. Have your home page in the living room, ebay at the local store - whatever.

Of course users would have to be able to select locations for their pages - i refuse to travel across the atlantic just to view american news pages! And the pages themselves could be drawn into the third dimension... hologram of Area 51 anyone?

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScriptKiddie
Remember the japanese (i think) experiment with virtual pacman? VR goggles that let you see the street but also added sprites/avatars of other players - like the strange ills or the big nasty ghosties floating around the park. Ill post a link if i can find one - but it looked pretty fun, and it wasnt that hard to achieve!

Please do, I would like to see that.

So im thinking physical locations as an option for pages. Have your home page in the living room, ebay at the local store - whatever.

Could that actually work in reality though? What are we going to do with all the physical stores and such? Sounds a little too much like the matrix IMO. People usually get on the internet to get away from the world, although some would like an idea like this. I think the majority are just to lazy to get up and go out physically just to browse the internet.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
There are already motion detectors and what not, and the Eyetoy's ''motion'' functionality, is actually AGES old, and it doesn't even do real motion detecting, it detects changes in the lighting I believe, because at a slightly darker room the motion detecting SUCKS. blah

However, as far as technology goes:
- We already have "touch the air" interfaces.
- We already have "multiple input" interfaces.

Yes, we also now have the braingate technology (although I would never get a chip in my head) thats currently being used by paralyzed people who want to use a computer. This could be developed for recreational use as well, if they could do it without the chip implant. To the best of my knowledge though, only a few commands can be used with braingate, such as the mouse and typing. There was a video on google that showed this technology paired with google earth, and a man was navigating the earth with his mind, still can't find that one.

Anyway more info on braingate technology in this vid...
video.google.com...

top topics

join