It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI director contradicts Gonzales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

FBI director contradicts Gonzales

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - The head of the FBI contradicted Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' sworn testimony and Senate Democrats requested a perjury investigation Thursday in a fresh barrage against President Bush's embattled longtime friend and aide.

In a third blow to the Bush administration, the Senate Judiciary Committee issued subpoenas to compel the testimony of Karl Rove, Bush's chief political adviser, in connection with its investigation of the firings of federal prosecutors.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.washingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gonzales explains bedside meeting with ailing Ashcroft

[edit on 7/26/2007 by lightseeker]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
In another crushing blow to the credibility of Attorney General, Antonio Gonzales, FBI Direct Robert Mueller has condradicted Gonzales' testimony that his vist to ailing former Attorney General John Ashcroft was not in relation to the Terrorist Surveillance program which was run by the NSA. The Judiciary Committee is now caling for a full blown perjury investigation and possible criminal charges against Gonzales.

Things can't get much worse for the White House in the matter and the only question is does Bush care? He is a lame duck President who will leave office long before any damage or criminal charges can attach to him and he is probably more than wiling to let his subordinants hang for his own policies and ideals.

news.yahoo.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

Edited to correct sentance continuity.

[edit on 7/26/2007 by lightseeker]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
it just goes to show that sitting idle and hoping for change doesn't work. you put the pressure on and and weakest links will fail letting all the pieces fall into place. this is indeed good news and better yet possibly a move in the right direction. im glad to see our representatives taking the kiddie gloves off.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The good thing is that if Gonzales is found guilty of perjury, then he will be disbarred, and can no longer serve as Attorney General of the US. One less gang member on the Hill.

I still think they should impeach Cheney as a good starting point to ending the rein of this terrorist gang.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think Gonzales should step down.

This is getting pretty ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I think he would go willingly if asked by Bush but Bush keeps saying no.
At some point even GWB must be able to read the writing on the wall.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightseeker

Yeah. Well one of the problems with Gonzales leaving is that the Dem Senate will probably refuse to confirm anyone but someone they think will be more hostile to the admin.

Maybe he'll quit during the August recess and Bush will make a one year recess appointment. By August next year, the 2008 presidential election will be the focus.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightseeker

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Maybe he should find some morals and step down of his own accord. This gang simply has no shame. They are so corrupt and so thoroughly believe they are beyond the law or common human decency that it is pathological.

An attorney general caught blatantly lying before congress--and not for the first time either, his performance on wire taps and torture was particularly disgusting--but finally called out by the Dir FBI. Good on Mueller. What's his agenda?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
[--but finally called out by the Dir FBI. Good on Mueller. What's his agenda?

I think it's really sad that the lack of integrity in politics has led us to the point where we don't just suspect everyone has their own agenda, we assume it. I would like to think that Muellher just is the kind of guy who refuses to be implicated as another Bush "thug" and wanted to tell the truth, no matter how much hot water it got him into with GWB and Gonzales.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
^lightseeker

Yes it's sad but as the old adage goes, nothing in politics happens by accident.

This shows real dissension in the administration. Mueller's willing to throw AG under the bus; he could as well have demurred and offered a non-answer.

To me it looks like people are preparing for after, distancing themselves, and see the writing on the wall and are willing to finally come clean now that BushCo's power has hit low ebb.

Hopefully we'll see more of this if congress would really start to dig. Of course Leahy's mad as hell, and his committee is where all the fireworks will come from. He, after all, was the one Cheney told to go f* himself on the Senate floor. Payback time. Looks like some people inside the admin. are willing to help.

top topics

join