It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pond bacterium converts light to energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

This was an interesting read, it details how bacteria from Yellowstone National Park was found to be performing photosynthesis of some sort. While similar discoveries had been made, this bacteria uses a different method of converting light into energy than the others.

Researches will study these bacteria to hopefully bring about new advances in solar energy.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Neat find! I hope they can find out exactly what is happening so we might be able to use this to help weane (sp?) us off oil for good

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mantys
Neat find! I hope they can find out exactly what is happening so we might be able to use this to help weane (sp?) us off oil for good

Thanks, good to know someone's interested

This find may not be all that ground breaking to some, but it's something that could be a part of the early stages of a brand new type of solar energy source. Hopefully some useful technology can come from learning about these bacteria.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Very interesting article, I'm always all ears for alternative energies. Hopefully something will come about through this discovery.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, interesting article.

I wonder if the real future of solar energy harvesting lies with "organic" collectors. Maybe huge farms breeding these type of bacteria all plugged into the mains and cleaning the air too!

Low maintenance, self replicating, beneficial to the environment and, after initial set-up, cheap energy.

I hope the right people get the right funding for the right reasons.

Nice one, I wonder where this will go?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well yes and your point is? We all, bacteria, plants, animals, humans convert sunlight somehow into energy. It is how we live.

new topics

top topics

join