It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aquafina labels to spell out source - tap water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Aquafina labels to spell out source - tap water

news.yahoo.com

According to Corporate Accountability International, a U.S. watchdog group, the world's No. 2 beverage company will include the words "Public Water Source" on Aquafina labels.

"If this helps clarify the fact that the water originates from public sources, then it's a reasonable thing to do," said Michelle Naughton, a Pepsi-Cola North America spokeswoman.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I had already known about this water just being filtered tap water, but I am happy now that they are actually letting people know where their product is coming from by putting it on the label. I'm a poland spring man myself, supposedly it comes from a spring. I'll hold my breath on that one though, until I learn what their definition of "spring" means.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't get the big deal about this either. They never claimed that the water came from some natural source. I drink bottled water when I am out running errands and stuff and need something I can take along with me. I've never been able to taste the difference between tap water at home and any of those "natural spring" waters that are on the market.

JbT

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealOrNot
I don't get the big deal about this either. They never claimed that the water came from some natural source. I drink bottled water when I am out running errands and stuff and need something I can take along with me. I've never been able to taste the difference between tap water at home and any of those "natural spring" waters that are on the market.

WoW, you must have some really super good tap water.

I can personaly taste the chlorine or what ever chemical is in the tap water.

Water like, Fiji, is in my opinion almost sweet and very very smooth. There is no after taste like the chemical/metal taste of tap water in my area.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
We had a discussion about tap water versus bottled water some time ago.

Here's the link.

Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap Water?

There's a lot of good info in this thread.

Also, tap water is regulated by the government and has to have tests done every quarter at least, where as bottled water is unregulated (read, untested) by the government unless it crosses state lines.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JbT

Originally posted by RealOrNot

WoW, you must have some really super good tap water.

I can personaly taste the chlorine or what ever chemical is in the tap water.

Water like, Fiji, is in my opinion almost sweet and very very smooth. There is no after taste like the chemical/metal taste of tap water in my area.

Just a good filter :-) And since I can't take the filter with me where ever I go, bottled water is a safer bet than someone else's tap water!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Sorry, double post

[edit on 31/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here is some info from an article on Organic Consumers Assoc.org

Is America's $8 Billion Bottled Water Industry a Fraud

While the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates the quality of public water supplies, the agency has no authority over bottled water. Bottled water that crosses state lines is considered a food product and is overseen by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which does mandate that it be bottled in sanitary conditions using food-grade equipment.

Bottled water is not regulated at all if it does not cross state lines, if bottled water does cross state lines it is not regulated by the EPA but the FDA.

However, the FDA is allowed to interpret the EPA's regulations and apply them selectively to bottled water.

The FDA is not as strict about water contaminates as the EPA.

The IBWA urges consumers to trust bottled water in part because the FDA requires water sources to be "inspected, sampled, analyzed and approved."

However, the NRDC argues that the FDA provides no specific requirements-such as proximity to industrial facilities, underground storage tanks or dumps-for bottled water sources. That's looser monitoring than occurs at the EPA, which requires more specific assessments of tap water sources. Olson says one brand of "spring water," which had a graphic of mountains and a lake on the label, was actually taken from a well in Massachusetts in the parking lot of an industrial facility. The well, which is no longer used for bottled water, was near hazardous waste and had experienced contamination by industrial chemicals.

According to Olson, the FDA has no official procedure for rejecting bottled water sources once they become contaminated. He also says a 1990 government audit revealed that 25 percent of water bottlers had no record of source approval. Further, in contrast to the EPA, which employs hundreds of staffers to protect the nation's tap water systems, the FDA doesn't have even one full-time regulator in charge of bottled water.

Further, while EPA rules specify that no confirmed E. coli or fecal coliform (bacteria that indicate possible contamination by fecal matter) contamination is allowed in tap water, the FDA merely set a minimum level for E. coli and fecal coliform presence in bottled water. Tap water from a surface source must be tested for cryptosporidium, giardia and viruses, unlike bottled water, and must also be disinfected, unlike bottled water.

I believe Aquafina's water coming out of a tap instead of their own source actually makes the water safer!

[edit on 31/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Lol Keyhole I think you are on to something. Those "natural springs" could be contaminated as well. Aquafina goes through something like a 7-step filtration process...that sounds like more than most cities do for their tap water (mine included, which is why I use a filter on my home tap).

new topics

top topics

join