I'm mostly just saddened by how all of you Europeans perceive us. You seem to picture us all running around with guns drawn like in the old John
Wayne movies. Those of us who are law abiding may or may not be carrying a firearm. Last I knew 37 of the 50 states had concealed carry laws(mine
included). I am currently in the process of getting my carry permit. It's NOT
easy!!! Just to inform those of you who don't live in the "gun
culture" I'll detail the steps involved in being able to legally carry a concealed
handgun in Connecticut, U.S.A..
1. Don't have a criminal history! If you have ANY felony conviction you are OUT. If you have ANY drug addiction or conviction you are OUT. If you
have ANY violent crime (even misdemeanor) conviction or arrest without conviction
you are OUT.
2. You must take a class in the safe use and storage of handguns.
Note: The "class" I took was only four hours and impossible to fail if you have a brain and are breathing. I, personally, think more
training should be involved for those with NO experience with firearms.
The class will cost $50 to $150 depending on where you live. Mine was $100.
3. Get your application for a Temporary State permit from your local police station. Fill in everything on the form including FULL conviction AND
Now you need to find a notary to "witness" you signing the application swearing all that the information is true yadda, yadda, yadda. Most places
that teach the class have a notary on site, mine did.
4. Go to the police station and make an appointment to be fingerprinted. Depending on the town/city you live in they may do it on the spot or make you
wait up to 2 weeks.
5. Get fingerprinted. This is a pain in the ass! You need to do 14 different impressions on TWO different cards. One card goes to the State Department
of Public Safety and the other goes to the FBI in Washington (D.C.).
6. Give the application, fingerprints, $24 in a bank check (no personal checks allowed) to the Commissioner of Public Safety, different check for $35
to the police dept. or town in my case it was to the town
issuing the temporary
permit to the police dept. that you got the permit
7. Wait. It can take up to eight weeks for this part. This is where I am right now.
8. You get your temporary
permit. You now have 60 days to make an appointment to go to State police Headquarters (or other approved location)
to re-apply for everything you just did (mostly).
9. Apply for the State permit. Nearly identical paperwork but you have to do it. Oh, photograph at this point as well. One on the actual license and
the other into the computer system. Of course an additional $35 is given to the Department of Public Safety by you for the privilege of being
interrogated by the police for your "need" for a pistol permit at this point. They cant legally ask you, but they also cant help themselves.
10 a. You are granted the permit.
Congrats! You now can carry a concealed
weapon on your person in some places.
I have been highlighting concealed
for a reason.
People are pretty up-tight these days(especially in the Northeast U.S.). If you carry a gun and, god forbid, someone actually sees
of a gun through your clothing and decides to call a cop, you lose your permit, PERIOD. If you reach up to a shelf in the store and someone sees a
handgun on you and calls the police
.FOREVER. The media here has nearly succeeded in completely demonizing guns altogether. Thats for
10 b. You are denied the permit.
This just sucks! Ill fill this in if need be. See you in 8 weeks or less.