It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numbers Stations: Are these still around?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I remember searching for radio stations on our old radio when I was a kid and hearing these faint broadcasts sometimes. We thought it was just some strange radio test because it never made any sense, just random numbers repeated over and over by a strange automated voice. I never thought in a million years they might be some sort of spy messages! My question is, are these broadcasts still around? I rarely listen to the radio, and with modern radios, you really never "dial around" to find music any more.

Here are some samples of these "numbers stations" on this link...

NUMBERS STATIONS

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Wikipedia seems to think so...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Don't know if they're still around, but they're talked about here on ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I have never heard of them. I have a friend that is going to give me one of them old world radios, hopefully he stops by today. He says it has like a 5 foot antenna.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here's a great read about Number Stations for anyone just getting their feet wet (like me!)

Click Me

EDIT: This is pretty cool too... a group of hackers got together and used the number station idea to communicate securely across the internet. Neat read, for the IT/Security/Crypto crowd.

SOURCE | Homeland Stupidity

Phone numbers stations mystery revealed at DEFCON
Special to Homeland Stupidity
By Michael Hampton
Posted: August 5, 2006 2:57 pm
Updated: November 24, 2006 3:15 pm

For three months, mysterious telephone numbers have been appearing on the Craigslist classified ad site which, when called, play recordings which sound much like shortwave numbers stations used by certain governments to communicate with intelligence agents in the field who are unreachable by other means. Now the secret behind these phone numbers stations has been revealed.

[edit on 7/26/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Wow, that Group 254 is very hypnotic. Can't wait to see if I can tune something in on this radio. Should have it later this evening, will record and post what I can find and on what frequency. Uh oh. Looks like I'm starting in on another expensive hobby.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I remeber reading once that these are maritime weather brodcasts for the North Sea. The North sea is divided into numbered sectors. So the numbers represent sector....time....wind speed...wave height etc. You need to know the order in which the numbers are being presented.

True or untrue I don't know.

new topics

top topics

join