It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major News Regarding The Above Network and AboveTopSecret.com

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Congratulations to the Three Amigos! You should all be VERY happy with how your baby has grown.

Congratulations go to the moderators and the extended ATS family as well, as it is your hard, selfless work, that has made ATS the forum that it is.

With that said, I do have one slight concern about where this will take ATS in the future. I honestly believe that as ATS grows and begins to take in more and more revenue that it will become harder to strike a balance between having a completely open, honest forum for ALL ideas, and making money.

If and when ATS starts to bring in some seriously big revenue, (and I truly believe that they will) how long will it be before keeping that revenue stream becomes more important than keeping to the ideals that ATS was built on?

If at some point in the future, the Three Amigos have to choose between censoring an idea or losing their advertisors, and or investors, and thus possibly the whole venture, how can one expect them to choose losing that revenue just to stick to their ideals?

I for one, just hope that the Three Amigo's never have to make that choice, because I'm afraid that when more rides on the success or failure of ATS, it will be easier to decide to bend those ideals for the "greater good".

-Cypher

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cypher
With that said, I do have one slight concern about where this will take ATS in the future. I honestly believe that as ATS grows and begins to take in more and more revenue that it will become harder to strike a balance between having a completely open, honest forum for ALL ideas, and making money.

How hard do you think it was to develop a 50+ page business plan focused around a free-and-open forum where there are no membership fees, no incremental fees, and no premium fees -- then devise a long term strategy where free expression advocacy is a core ideal and "sell" that package to various investment groups where we make it clear that the "ATS property" will have an abundance of provocative ideas on controversial subjects?

Hard? Yes. Done? Yes.

In fact, we generated a great deal of interest from established venture capital groups with legendary "dot-com" personalities to a serious acquisition offer from a media company. In many cases, the "venture capitalists" advised we should be seeking well-into seven figures of investment capital and then they would be interested. But we knew our plan didn't need that much "seed money" to launch and I've been in "dot-com" businesses since 1989... so I knew the pitfalls associated with too much start-up capital.

If and when ATS starts to bring in some seriously big revenue, (and I truly believe that they will) how long will it be before keeping that revenue stream becomes more important than keeping to the ideals that ATS was built on?

Keep in mind that if all goes well, "The Above Network, LLC" will mean more than "ATS." I keep reminding people that ATS is a part of our plans... a massively big and important part, but there are a significant number of unique strategies that would position the unfiltered and uncensored intellectual content of ATS as a clear business advantage. From that position, many things can grow that may not be distinctly "ATS."

If at some point in the future, the Three Amigos have to choose between censoring an idea or losing their advertisors, and or investors, and thus possibly the whole venture, how can one expect them to choose losing that revenue just to stick to their ideals?

Then we would be straying from our business plan and angering our investors.

Also... I've been a "VP-level" person in online advertising since 1996 (not any more
), and I'm still well-connected to the advertising industry. As the web evolves, many advertisers are realizing that an advertisement on a website no longer fosters a strict association with the content of the site in the same way TV or print advertising might. Just like outdoor advertising, the goal is to reach a specific kind of person, not sponsor a specific location. The intelligent, outspoken, and socially conscious audience of ATS is an excellent audience for many advertisers... I have no fear that we'll attract enough advertisers who "get it."

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
Great jobs guys and I know what it is like to find investers who are interested in the real point of a enterprise rather than the short or medium term cash reward.

I agree 100%. This is actually the very reason why I am not sharing in some of the concerns that other people have posted. From what the Amigos have told us, these are people who aren't just in it to make a quick buck. Of course, as Crakeur said, anyone who invests wants to make money, but this seems to be a group that respects what ATS is, and is investing in just that. ATS. When you buy a successful sports team you don't fire all the players... that's what made them successful!

After hearing the respect that the investors had for the site and our members, any concerns I had were quickly put aside.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
How do we "know" anything? Reason, authority, experience. The Amigos are the authority and they assure us that there will be no wholesale changes to the site's mission or fundamental operation. Do you trust them to be truthful? Based upon experience, I do. They wouldn't have to say anything about this. Points for disclosure.

So with trustful authority speaking, and our experience and reasoning (why would anyone get involved if they weren't convinced The Amigos were on the right track and doing things right to get us this far?), I'm convinced this is a Good Thing.

The Amigos have invested blood, sweat, and tears (and much of their own $$) and I see absolutely no reason to believe they'd forego a long-time labor of love for a short term cash out, right when they're on the cusp of some amazing accomplishments. The only thing that's ever been asked of any of us is meaningful participation and adherence to the T&C. I say, Bravo!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well i guess i should be congratulating you guys.

I never thought the ads would be doing so bad though?

Oh well what can ya do...

As long as this raver chick still rocks hard on the ATS dance floor with things how they are now and with sucha great board and open ideas, and great people. I'll be happy.

All hail ATS!

*Kicks PTS in the ribs*
*Pokes BTS in the eye*

[edit on 27-7-2007 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord,

I hope you didn't take my post as questioning your, or any of the Three Amigos', integrity. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I was simply expressing a concern that sometimes the business can become so large and so important that it takes over from the original idea. (ie: Google's hideous compromising of their ideals in order to do business in China.)

Without seeing and reading the business plan myself, I can only take your word for it that you and the other Amigos are committed to keeping The Above Network LLC and all it's myriad outlets as completely open forums for free expression and have structured the company in such a way as too keep it that way. However, having been a member here for a number of years I have seen your ideals in action and I trust in the three of you.

Also, I misspoke when I talked about ATS being the source of revenue in the future. Again, while I don't know your plans, I can imagine some reasonable outlets for you to expand in, and I can picture TAN LLC being the leader in webcast (both audio and visual), user generated content and top tier propietary content on alternative subjects in the very near future.

I guess my concern grew out of the fact that I honestly do believe that you guys are making HUGE strides. I've seen ATS expand so much in just the three short years I've been a board member, that I am convinced that TAN LLC is going to be an immensely successful company.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my remarks, and for addressing the concern I expressed. The simple fact that you and the other Amigos are still so involved in the discussion on your boards indicates to me that this isn't simply a business to you. It's impressive to say the least.

Congratulations again, and best of luck with the new ventures.

-Cypher

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Congratulations fellows,
I got this in my email this morning, the same article thats posted in the OP

The Above Network, LLC Celebrates Ten Years In Business, and Announces Completion Of First Round Equity Capitalization, Targeting The Expansion Of www.Abovetopsecret.Com

By PR Newswire

NEW YORK, July 26 /PRNewswire/ -- In conjunction with its tenth anniversary,
(Snip)~~

dmnnewswire.digitalmedianet.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
All I can say is its been a long time coming. You guys may or may not remember I have advocated and reccommended some version of this in certain threads in the past.

This may eventually give rise to the opportunity for ATS to employ full-time journalists to bring exclusive content from locations around the world. No doubt these journalists will be pulled from the rank of our members first of course

Hey that may or may not be in yalls future plans, but you cant tell me it would not be a great step right? Also, please call on for Green companies to supply marketing revenue if you could. I, and many others am in short supply of eco-friendly companies and products, and this would be an excellent and easy place for me to find them were they to advertise here.

Whatever I am full of crap, but great initiative folks. You fellas are exceeding the standards and doing more than I could imagine for this community. I am glad to be here as a member of this phenomenon.

[edit on 7/27/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think this is going to be a great time for ATS.

The three amigos have worked tirelessly for years, through the good times and the bad to help maintain this website and to do one thing more important: help it grow.

Investment is a natural progression. It allows ATS to grow even further and to reach people who want to discuss alternative topics in an atmosphere which is conducive.

I'm a member of a lot of message boards and ATS is unique in its policies.

And it's free!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am somehow intrugued by the origin of these PRIVATE INVESTORS.

Is it too much to ask who they are, or will they remian private?

Thanks!

And of course CONGRATS!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I will be expecting my share of the profits as it is obvious to those in the know that kleverone's contributions to ATS are the sole reason for the spike in popularity. Now I know that some of you may think that the reason for this may be due to the 3 amigos, I'm certainly not denying there contributions but lets be serious here for a minute. Kleverone is
ATS is
Coincidence?? I think not. Discuss amongst yourselves!!!
Let the flames begin!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

This may eventually give rise to the opportunity for ATS to employ full-time journalists to bring exclusive content from locations around the world. No doubt these journalists will be pulled from the rank of our members first of course

(emphasis added by me)

This is definitely a part of our business plan. It's going to take a while to get there but that is one of the prime directives.

Springer...

edit to add: Kelverone, I bow to your GREATNESS!

[edit on 7-27-2007 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
As the web evolves, many advertisers are realizing that an advertisement on a website no longer fosters a strict association with the content of the site in the same way TV or print advertising might. Just like outdoor advertising, the goal is to reach a specific kind of person, not sponsor a specific location.

This right here, shows that the 3 Amigos know what the heck is going on in the digital realm. Mark my words, they're going places, web advertising and demographic studies are finally saying exactly what Skeptic is(and has been)saying.

The above quoted understanding, is going to allow them to springboard into other avenues with The Above Network, and that growth is going to be amazing.

You 3 are on the roller coaster ride to success and I salute you. We members are in for some really great stuff thanks to you guys. Even the doubters will benefit, although they don't know it yet...

Good job guys!

X

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
edit to add: Kelverone, I bow to your GREATNESS!

Rise my child, for there is a motorcycle out there with you name on it. Actually the name is Harley-Davidson.. but I digress. Go. Take said steel horse by the reigns and enjoy the payoff of all your hard work.

Just remember who is soley responsible for it when you need a corresondent in Hollywood!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Just remember who is soley responsible for it when you need a corresondent in Hollywood!

I shall Kimo Sabe! I SHALL!

Seriously though, I spent 7 years in Granada Hills working the Hollywood scene back in the early 1990's. Do you have valuable connects? We may need to talk my man!

Springer...

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
To those who question the influence that money will have on ATS, I'd like to offer this insight:

What does ATS "sell"? Well actually the answer is advertising banner space, but I mean what service does ATS provide that makes this a place where advertising clients can find an audience?

ATS sells more than content- that's only half of the equasion. ATS sells a voice. If ATS censors some points of view in the interest of only providing content that the suits believe will attract the target audience of our advertisers, then ATS will necessarily lose business from people who wanted to post about other things.

ATS covers an incredible range of topics (and derives the extraordinary quality of content that it offers) from the fact that it serves as a podium from which anyone can speak.

This presents an identity crisis to business and the people, because neither is in the habit of being able to prosper without inflicting some wrong on the other, but that's the situation here. Both interests- the business interests and member interests, are served by the same thing, and I'm confident that both will be able to enjoy what ATS provides without serious conflict for quite some time.

Viva free speach, viva ATS. It got us here. Who in their right mind would abandon it now?

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Seriously though, I spent 7 years in Granada Hills working the Hollywood scene back in the early 1990's.

Early 90's huh? So where you grunge or Bright neon

Do you have valuable connects? We may need to talk my man!

Yes I do. It's called AboveTopSecret.com

No, but seriously this site alone would be enough to garner any press pass to most events, and I do have some connections out here. I could almost garantee an interview with Jonathan Hensleigh The writer and Director of "The Punisher". He has also written Con-Air, The Rock, Armegeddon, Gone in Sixty Seconds, and the Saint to name a few. Here is his listing on IMDB. Although he would probably more of a BTS interview. Quite a character though. I would certainly be able to attend any premeire having to do with Comics or Conspiracy like I said, as a rep for the above network and interview the actors/director for the films. I am comforatable in that environment having been to several Red Carpet premieres. Lots of possibilities out here in Los Angeles. I'm very excited to see how big this site gets, we see what a little exposure did for perez hilton. From half a million hits a day to 7 million in a little over a year. Its gonna happen and I would be proud to be a part of it!

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I see kleverone is talking himself up for the "La-La Land" beat. So I'll put in my $0.02 worth for different area.

If you ever need someone that can find a way to talk to another Ted Kazinski holed up in some remote cabin, just sic me on them. After years of living in the Quiachita Mountains, I can fit in with the rednecks and snuff spitters so well you would think my name was Jed Clampett.

Seriously, all of this great news just assures me that I will remain here at ATS for a long time. This is a needed voice in the wilderness of "bought" players. I am impressed.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
This is the last post I'm gonna read on here.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Sorry double post, the next one is legit. So this one is basically just wasting bandwidth, next page.

[edit on 29-7-2007 by kleverone]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join