It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember when???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I thought that this thread might be interesting in the fact that we have members of all ages, living in various countries, who have seen and heard many different things over the course of their lifetimes. I thought this might shed some insight on our member's lives and what they remember about them.

This is Remember when......

All you have to do is put that in front of any one fact you remember, whether it is a song, a car, a fad, anything that came and went, and maybe is coming back again.

Example:

For me it's Remember when Zubaz pants were all the rage?
tons of different neon colors that you wouldn't admit to your own wife/husband you wore now?

What do you remember?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Remember when Jerry Springer did shows that actually asked pertinent questions and was serious? Remember when he didn't have chair-slinging trailer trash ripping each others shirts off and slugging their mothers?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
playing the same sort of game here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think I'll still post in this one, since it has a better name.

Remember when the Macerana was popular?
Such a dirty song if you think about it, yet it had the entire nation, young, old, white,
Hispanic and Asian doing a dance that broken dance looks more like a routine from a strip bar.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I can remember when gas was 97 cents a gallon.

I remember when it was cool for guys to cut their t shirt's half way up to make a half shirt. And it was cool to have gym socks that went up to your knees with stripes at the top. Go 80's!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
While that thread is very similar, I was gearing towards what people remember about their youth/ages past, whatever. Not necessarily just quoting old things that are outdated or just fads, but how it applies to the person. Mostly to get an insight on who they are and what they have experienced in their lives.

But thanks for the link, It gives me another thread to reminisce on!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I know I'm dating myself by saying this, but I remember when my mother wouldn't let us eat Pop Rocks anymore because they would blow up our stomachs, then I remember when the big rumor amongst the kids was that Bubble Yum bubble gum put spider eggs in their gum when they made it. Disgusting what kids think of, really, little did we know at the time it was sugar crystals crunching in our mouth as we first popped that piece of gum in

I remember being about 3 years old, having chicken pox & hearing my mother talk on the phone to one of her friends about "Watergate & Nixon"

I remember how my grandpa let me stand on his feet and he taught me how to dance. When I got older, he taught me how to waltz. Gosh I sure do miss that guy!

[edit on 7/27/2007 by jensouth31]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You're all kids.

I remember when the teacher used to bring in a big ol' black & white tv so we could see the Mercury astronauts blasting off. Walter Cronkite on the broadcast. I remember the "civil defense drills" during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember being let out of school early when JFK was shot.

I remember when kids' tv was pretty much relegated to Saturday mornings. Warner Brothers cartoons and 3 Stooges. And shows like Sky King, Fury, My Friend Flicka.

Although Mickey Mouse Club was on every afternoon. It showed series like Spin and Marty and The Hardy Boys.

Sunday Nights Disney had their own series like Zorro, Davey Crockett, The Scarecrow, and Nine Lives of Elfego Baca.

The standard order at the "service station" was $3.00 worth of regular and that lasted a week. They pumped the gas, cleaned your windshield, checked your oil, and aired up the tires. Now it's $60 to fill up, and you pay at the pump. Oh, and if you need air in your tires, not only do you do it yourself, but you've got to feed quarters into the air vending machine.

A shot at the doctor wasn't with a microfine disposable needle, but some harpoon sized weaponry out of the sterilizer. Don't even think about dental work, which was Marathon Man like in its practice (okay a slight exaggeration).

So some things are better, some are worse, and memories have their own way of coloring the past.

But I distinctly recall walking 3 miles to school, up hill each way, in 6' snow drifts.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Sunday Nights Disney had their own series like Zorro, Davey Crockett, The Scarecrow, and Nine Lives of Elfego Baca.

I do remember those Sunday night Disney movies
And Mutual of Omaha's Wild kingdom!

Originally posted by yeahright

But I distinctly recall walking 3 miles to school, up hill each way, in 6' snow drifts.

OMG! So did my mom and dad!
I think my mom and dad had a 10 mile walk...you really lucked out

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hey, I'm not THAT old, but I really did have to walk uphill both ways and in the snow. I lived in the mountains in Idaho and our driveway was actually 2 miles from the nearest road. I had to walk that in the dead of winter unless it got to negative temperatures, and then mom would take us to the road and we'd sit in the car. There was a big powerline that ran through the woods that was on a hill, and so, I walked in the snow, uphill, both ways to and from school.

I also remember those 80's Surfer caps. Remember the neon pink, blue and green caps with the flip up brim that looked like a beanie, yet had a small arked brim just big enough to cover your eyebrows?

I never wore one, but my brother did.

new topics

top topics

join