It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who exactly is going to enforce martial law in the U.S.?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Bush and his cronies are not that big of a gang, and our police and military members are all mostly regular citizens who love freedom for their families and themselves, so who exactly is going to keep martial law in effect?

Everyone seems to be so afraid that Bush is going to "take over" but I don't see a country like the United States just laying down and letting that happen. Yes, there will probably be another terrorist attack, but it will happen because some crazy muslim extremists want it to happen, not because George Bush is secretly trying to declare martial law.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As long as bush can keep his power there will be a chain of command.
The national guard I would say.
Unless there is a coup d'état

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Not going to happen.

No Marital Law in the United States. Just won't happen.

This is my opinion of course.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In my eyes, if the government ever tried to order some uncalled for martial law, it wouldn't work simply because eventually some governors would order their National Guard units not to enforce it. While the President has supreme power, the very fact that several governors are opposing such a move should seriously gum up the gears of the dictatorship-in-training. After all, you would need a very serious event to justify martial law being declared nationwide. Something along the lines of a terror-nuking, and even then it's iffy in my eyes.

Now what I would be worried about are some idiots deciding to riot and throw molotov cocktails in some sort of "revolution" thereby validating any martial law order by creating a state of emergency.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So your saying the some governors may not obey the president? Thats a civil war for sure

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Now what I would be worried about are some idiots deciding to riot and throw molotov cocktails in some sort of "revolution" thereby validating any martial law order by creating a state of emergency.

Interesting. So we're screwed no matter what if martial law goes into effect because there will always be the idiots who will riot and go crazy anyways. I'll feel a little better if the next attack happens once Bush is out of office. And if nukes go off we're going to be in big trouble regardless of martial law. Scary times.

I still don't think martial law is going to happen in the U.S. though...

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Diplomat]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
Bush and his cronies are not that big of a gang, and our police and military members are all mostly regular citizens who love freedom for their families and themselves, so who exactly is going to keep martial law in effect?

Maybe you should ask Capt. Fred Bible and Private Chris Montgomery, a couple of the 'freedom loving' American soldiers you speak of.
Free to follow orders to dis-arm law abiding citizens.
Free to disregard the Constitution of this great nation.
The very same Constitution that they swore an oath to protect.

Google Video Link

[edit on 25-7-2007 by 11Bravo]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I think you bring up a great point!

Nothing like that would ever work in the U.S. Hell, even Soviet soldiers in the end refused to back the government against citizens, allowing the USSR to collapse.

THere's no way American soldiers are going to side with a totalitarian government.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
So your saying the some governors may not obey the president? Thats a civil war for sure

Only if you believe that US soldiers will follow orders to fight National Gaurdsmen. IMO soldiers are generally more disposed to believing or trusting the government, but I have faith they'd reach a point where they'd understand the difference between right and wrong.

Anyway, I also doubt that such a maneuver could really be coordinated. In one breath people claim Bush is secretly going to take over the country, and in the next he's so incompetent he can't even organize a relief effort for Katrina or a successful occupation of a nation barely larger than California. It's one or the other.

I think the very bureaucracy that people complain about protects us from any sudden change in power. Have they even decided whose responsibiltiy it was to even prepare for Katrina (Federal, State, City?). It'd be a nightmare organizing martial law nationwide

[edit on 7-25-2007 by Esoterica]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think it's obvious that IF Martial Law were to be declared, it would have to be done in such a way that the citizens would welcome it. For example, if it was done in the name of...oh, say Homeland Security.

It appears that the government has been slowly desensitizing the American people to their freedoms being taken away. I would liken us unto a frog in a pot of water on a stove, too desensitized to our environment to realize or care that we are being boiled alive. If Martial Law is ever declared, it will no doubt be done with the full support of Majority America. They will be convinced it is for their safety. Chances are, it will take nothing more than another 9/11-like scenario to get the people prepped for it. Scare the people into submission.

As for who will enforce it? The military will have its rebels, most likely, but the vast majority will probably obey orders as they've been trained [brainwashed] to do. I spent three years in the Army, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that the majority of soldiers are patriots who truly believe that their government can do no wrong. Not that they're stupid, it's just that that is, in fact, their job. Look at New Orleans after Katrina...

[edit on 25/7/07 by an3rkist]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
In order for martial law to be enforced successfully the reason to made the people believe is necessary has to be extraordinary, like a big massive population deaths from a terrorist attack.

That will have most of the people in this nation eating from the presidents hand.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Brief History of Martial Law

Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada declared martial law over Montreal in 1970 in response to kidnappings by Quebec separatists.

In the Philippines, martial law under President Marcos lasted from 1972 to 1981.

Greece endured 'the rule of the Colonels' from 1967 to 1974.

President Lincoln declared it during the Civil War.

Tanks rolled out in Los Angeles during the Watts riots in 1965. It happened again in that city in 1992. Martial Law wasn't declared but strict curfews were initiated.

Interestingly.......
Martial Law was NOT declared in New Orleans after Katrina hit. A state of emergency was the only declaration.

The state Attorney General’s office on Tuesday sought to clarify reports in some media that “martial law’ has been declared in parts of storm-ravaged southeast Louisiana, saying no such term exists in Louisiana law.

But even though no martial law exists, Gov. Kathleen Blanco’s declaration of a state of emergency gives authorities widespread latitude to suspend civil liberties as they try to restore order and bring victims to safety. Under the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, the governor and, in some cases, chief parish officials, have the right to commandeer or utilize any private property if necessary to cope with the emergency.

www.donaldsensing.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

This is exactly how it could be done. Cause such a terror and panic that the people beg for martial law. Once enough atrocities are shown on TV the soldiers or guardsmen would be more than willing to 'do what they have to' to restore order. Unfortunately for us, for the military rule to continue, the terror would have to as well. See Iraq, Israel, etc. for a suitable template.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Only a nuclear attack in a state would get the people behind the idea that martial law should be in effect. Not that it would matter for someone like myself, living in St. Cloud, Minnesota and all. I really don't see anything bad happening around me, and would ignore any man in uniform telling me what to do unless I believed it was only to save my life. But really, martial law wouldn't really affect me any, as I am an isolationist and prefer to stay out of affairs that don't concern me or my friends and family. What would they do? Set a curfew or something? Who cares? If they started offing the people that open their "big mouths", well that is a different story altogether. I would take arms against anyone attempting to silence the opinions of myself and others, as that is an act against my constitutional rights. But all I really see happening is a national curfew that only teenagers or bar hoppers would really care about.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
In order for martial law to be enforced successfully the reason to made the people believe is necessary has to be extraordinary, like a big massive population deaths from a terrorist attack.

That will have most of the people in this nation eating from the presidents hand.
You mean for our own "good"? Of course. And those who say it cant happen are sadly mistaken. By now if it werent for our apathy we would have been rid of those goons. What makes anyone think that things will change if and when something disastrous happens?
I dont think so- we will be good little sheep.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Dg that is exactly how everything was started, 9/11 came in people didn't even think about what the government was going to do but applauded everything it did, including the nefarious patriot act that even congress didn't read about but sign for it.

And people was happy with it, look what has been going on since then about laws, bills and such. . .

Another big attack and people will take anything . . . and congress probably will sing the nation to whomever be in power.
and people will applaud with blindly.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

Everyone seems to be so afraid that Bush is going to "take over" but I don't see a country like the United States just laying down and letting that happen. Yes, there will probably be another terrorist attack, but it will happen because some crazy muslim extremists want it to happen, not because George Bush is secretly trying to declare martial law.

Probably mercenaries ...maybe Blackwater company.. I've heard it's illegal for us troops to fight against us citizens on our soil but not for mercinaries . not sure though

new topics

top topics

join