It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat predicts nursing home patients deaths

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
So do I... MUAHAHAHA

Not that surprising. Many dogs can sense when their owner is about to have a heart attack. I've heard of some doctors even recommending that their cardiac patients get a dog to let them know to call 9-1-1 before it hits.

It is odd though that the cat even cares. They are our superiors yah know.
Dogs look up to us, cats look down to us, but pigs see yah eye to eye.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
i don't see why this is suprising to anyone...

whenever i am sick, like a migraine or something, my dog will lay by my side the entire day.

i can see the cat sensing this....animals can sense when storms are coming...hell, i'm human and i can smell when it's about to rain...why wouldn't they be able to smell some pharomone change or odor or something?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

She was convinced of Oscar's talent when he made his 13th correct call. While observing one patient, Teno said she noticed the woman was not eating, was breathing with difficulty and that her legs had a bluish tinge, signs that often mean death is near.

snip

No one is certain if Oscar's behaviour is scientifically significant or points to a cause. Teno wonders if the cat notices telltale scents or reads something into the behaviour of the nurses who raised him.

they refer to oscar as "the harbringer of death"

i think the cat has learnt to notice telltale signs, most predatory animals can detect sickness + weakness not only in their prey but also when making a take over bid against existing alpha males for their females or turf.

its interesting thats for sure.. on ninemsn.com.au they had some aussie nurse who said they had similar experiences with a ginger tom.. they were told not to let the cat in coz it upset the residents "beware the ginger tom" they'd say apparently according to the article.

you know what they say about cats n dogs:

a cat says "he feeds me, keeps me warm, looks after me when im sick, gives me love and attention, I must be god"
a Dog says "he feeds me, keeps me warm, looks after me when im sick, gives me love and attention, *HE* must be god"

[edit on 26/7/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
NIce find, I read that too, in another site!

I think this ability is what we call the sixth sense, it is also abundant in dogs too.

In one test on dogs for example, there was a dog home alone while its owners were out. As they approach home (around 5-6K away), the dog starts to go mad, as if he was aware they were returning.

Dogs and cats also seem to know about earthquakes before they arrive, by acting odd. They seem to sense its ominous arrival.

I don't think I would like to see that Kitty for a veeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy long time!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
BBC report on the Cat

More than likely its a chemical change within the human body that the Cat can sense, Probably through smell.

Still, incredible. This just adds to the mountain of evidence that animals have sensory powers far beyond our own.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
i know for a fact when im sad i dont start smelling,,,,,,

Are you sure about that? have you ever researched Pheromones?
For every emotion you have, you give off a scent.
Now that is a fact.. Sure your not going to smell it like you have B.O or something, its very lowkey, and prehaps you just have to be atune to these things to pick them up.
I do this with women too.. I can pick up their scent. Many girlfriends Ive had have a sertin smell to them. when they get horny or pissed off at me, I can smell it.. Maybe Im just a totall wacko.. But when I smell it, its more like I taste it in the back of my mouth, presay smelling it with my nose.
Its a taste I get, and its hard to shake sometimes. But tasting is smelling to a point.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Not that surprising. Many dogs can sense when their owner is about to have a heart attack. I've heard of some doctors even recommending that their cardiac patients get a dog to let them know to call 9-1-1 before it hits.

i have heard of this before.. in my opinion i dont think its any sixth sense, i would be more inclined to think that a dog had super sensitive hearing.

It lives with you all its life listening to your heartbeat .. bom.bom...bom.bom .. so maybe its hearing detects when the rhythm changes or is starting to faulter..

the only problem how does the dog notify you ..imagine.

woof woof.. "whats that boy? little jimmy is stuck down the mine shaft?"
woof woof..."er... you want your dinner?"
woof woof..."a bone?"
woof woof woof ..man cluctches chest "ooohhh call 911, well why didnt you just say so in the first place?"

[edit on 26-7-2007 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think this is appropriate considering!!! lol

There is some foul mouths though watch at your own risk
!!!

Cats are snakes with fur, lol

width="425" height="350"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/xxkJqfUe4YI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Feline intuition?
Interesting! I'm not buying the theory that the cat has psychic insight but I am sure that certain creatures have extrasensory abilites as a result of evolution.
I once heard someone say if you look hard enough into the eyes of an animal you may get a glimpse of a human soul looking out at you.
Whatever the 'talents' this feline has it is evident a pattern of accuracy has developed and been noted.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If I knew I was dieing in a hospital chair/bed that i'd prob not left much for a long time - I would probably evacuate my bowls and or bladder, either for the heck of it or cos I didn't know any different. Even someone with Anosmia would know about that, let alone a cat.

I dont really think this is any thing too mystical - beyond the fact that in our own 'evoloution' we have lost out on quite a few links to the world around us - its the trade off for this world we've made for our selves - we've narrowed our minds a bit, maybe a lot, how can we tell?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I have always believed that animals have superior senses. They have been shown to react to earthquakes, and here one is reacting to death. It may be that someone close to death merely "smells" differently, or there is some other unmeasurable factor that the cat perceives that makes it act that way.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Most cats and dogs (assuming they are allowed outdoors) know when THEY themselves are going to die. Reminiscent of "Chavez" in Young guns 2 stumbling to the barn to greet the "white horse", I believe it is a spiritual occurence and the animal is in tune to our "angels" etc.

I think the cat can see our "aura" which reflects one's health and temperment (ex: when a person is angry their body temperature rises) perhaps altering the appearance of mentioned "aura". Perhaps that is why cats seem to be able to read one's temperment, as if to one's intention to harm the cat upon an initial encounter, to flee or stay.

With death I conclude that the cat can see our messengers, angels, protectors, or evil manifestations that escape our own eyes and awareness. It is possible that as our protectors prepare our souls for the departure, the cat is aware of this (like when one packs their suitcase before a trip, the demeanor of the cat reflects sadness).

Very interesting theories as well as story. Cats as well as dogs are interesting animals to say the least. Although domesticated for thousands of years cats still retain a sort of "mystical" quality. As in ancient Egypt, cats were mummified buried with their owners, as sort of guardians for the transgression.....iinteresting

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ever catch your cat or dog looking into space?? sometimes i see my dog looking at nothing for minutes at a time and barking. I'm convinced that animals have a sensory range that is superior to humans and they can "see" things we cannot. I dont believe it is the cats sense of smell that detects this. I think its a sense that humans don't possess.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Actually I believe that this is NOT a case of psychic cat abilities and more of the cat being able to smell the changing odors of a human body. Not to say that the person has begun to decompose, but that peoples biology changes close to death. The body releases different pheromones etc as the body begins to give out.

Animals have smell senses thousands of times more powerful than humans. Dogs can smell cancer. I bet animals could smell out all types of illness and infections... if we could only harness their abilities. MORE STUDY AND SCIENCE IS NEEDED!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow, there is like 6 threads on recent posts about this.... just remember who got there first!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I once heard a story from a nursing home worker that if you look and pay close attention there's a few signs that occur. According to him all the patients would have a burst of energy the day before they died. Don't know how true it is though.

That story rings true in my experience. A few months ago I had a uncle who had become gravely ill, he was very sick and weak throughout his ordeal and then strangely the day before he had died he had that "burst" of energy you describe, and there was also a strange sense of calmness and peace within him.

It was really odd.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I heard this story this morning on that Regis and Kelly show of all places and a few jokes were flung about over the matter.

part of me thinks this is amazing and how comforting it would be to have just something there next to me when I am dying.

The other part would be pushing the bloody thing away from me with an IV pole.

Edit: typos galore.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by Anagram]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I saw this story on cnn earlier and admit that it fascinates me. Whether its's the sense of smell or them sensing and/or seeing our aura, animals definately are aware of things on a much different level than we are. I've had animals my whole life, I'm 36, and have countless stories of being amazed by animals of all types. Species difference is all there really is, because we are all sharing this godforsaken planet!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

I can smell when someone is very sick and they do not know it yet. I have not smelled death yet I know when someone is very sick. Different illnesses have a different odor to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonamusly
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

I can smell when someone is very sick and they do not know it yet. I have not smelled death yet I know when someone is very sick. Different illnesses have a different odor to me.

What do you mean someone is very sick and do not know it? What do illnesses smell like?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join