It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat predicts nursing home patients deaths

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Cat predicts nursing home patients deaths

news.yahoo.com

Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours. His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i broke my arm this weekend and am typing with one arm

So im gonna keep it short. Read the article!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Interesting story, they do say cats have a weird sense about them.

I wonder if anyones thought of checking the cat over thoroughly?

The media are all over it because they think it's psychic, when it's probably actually highly contaigous and is killing whoever it sits next to!

CX.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Wow this is so weird, I have never heard of anything like this before! I think ill stay away from cats for now on ...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

The media are all over it because they think it's psychic, when it's probably actually highly contaigous and is killing whoever it sits next to!

CX.

hahaha thats so great, i bet 99% of people never thought of that one!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I don't see why this has to be psychic. Cats have great senses of smell and hearing, could be something as simple as a difference in odor, breathing pattern, ro somethign else we can't tell that occurs before death. I mean, if they can train dogs to sniff out tumors....

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'd hardly think this was anything magical. Animals have a much better sense of smell than humans. There was a story about dogs being able to smell cancer a year or so ago.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit
I'd hardly think this was anything magical. Animals have a much better sense of smell than humans. There was a story about dogs being able to smell cancer a year or so ago.

I dont see why you would relate an animals sense of smell with being able to predict a persons death hours before it happens. I dont think a person begins to decompose until he/she is fully dead... so why would they give off a smell? Im sure it has something to do with the cat senses, but i think its the 6th sense and not sense of smell.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There will be significant phsiological changes in the hours before death, for a prolonged illness anyway. It is a safe assumption the cat can tell this, and cats being cats, it probably came along to comfort them.

My moggy is an affectionate beast and she has come and snuggled up to me when I'm ill. She will then leave me with a huge pile of fur, but it's the thought that counts....

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Thats funny I bet the cat is infected.

Even if he wasnt I would kick that cat off my bed.

Actually ive heard of animals finding cancer but never heard of them predicting death.

I wonder what the cat is actually smelling or sensing to determine the person is dying. And what would make the cat curl up beside a person about to die.

The grim kitty.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
There is a large black feline-foundling huntress looking at me right now... looks like it "knows" something I may not. LOL.

Feline in particular do have a unique long-term interdependent relationship with humanity. As pets go, we humans "aren't very bright"... "Jax" and her ilk are at least the equivalent of any human with a Masters in Psychology and make no mistake it is they who are "Master".

Same with horses. Swim with dolphins? I have. Once you get past the initial terror... I wrote a post about that a year or so ago, Caribbean - very weird.

"They know stuff" that I can only marvel at and wonder. The diagnostic, therapeutic and assistive value of animals is obvious and being explored and used in health care. That's good. More. More study, more documentation, fact. Perhaps not well understood "fact", but like the facts "they" don't lie. Us?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 25-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I once heard a story from a nursing home worker that if you look and pay close attention there's a few signs that occur. According to him all the patients would have a burst of energy the day before they died. Don't know how true it is though.

But some animals, cats especially have good senses. I had a cat that would always curl up next to me whenever I was sick or was really sad from a bad day. I don't think it's too unusual that a cat that's been living at a nursing home for a while would learn the signs. From there their superior sensory abilities and keen sense of observation (watch a cat chase a fly for a good at home example) it'd make sense that the cat would know who's close to death. After that it's probably a matter of the cat simply trying to comfort the patients, nothing too unusual about a cat trying to comfort the ill.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I just read this article on MSN and my first thought was....
that damn cat is eating peoples souls when they die.
Did you read how it isnt friendly and that it only gets close to people right before they die?
Its a soul-eating cat I tell ya, and maybe its not even a cat at all!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
As strange as it may sound, any living thing has an odor of death before it dies. I have had many many animals, and I have always known when they are going to die. For one their life force gets extreamly weak, and they start to give off a sent. Prehaps its just me, but before my murry died, I had him in my arms and smelled a scent of death on him, I knew it was his time.
I would say this would be a very interesting subject to take further. I know that animals are very keen on sensing things we prehaps cant not see. A great story BTW, and it was a good read

I think its more of a personal thing and how in tune you are with what surrounds you in your life.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
good ol murry was'nt 90 years old right?I mean it's obvious when someone is real sick and going to die.That's why so many poeple say we knew she was going to die today so we stayed at her bedside.This happens all the time at the hospital.

I don't know how a cat could tell,but i don't think it would be smell.Maybe it can feel vibes or something.Because everyoen says they can tell when your sad and such,and i know for a fact when im sad i dont start smelling,,,,,,

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by CX

CX.

hahaha thats so great, i bet 99% of people never thought of that one!

House MD would have....

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
So if they keep the cat away will they not die? Probably not, but you have to admit it would be cool. Run from the cat and live forever.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
As strange as it may sound, any living thing has an odor of death before it dies. I have had many many animals, and I have always known when they are going to die. For one their life force gets extreamly weak, and they start to give off a sent. Prehaps its just me, but before my murry died, I had him in my arms and smelled a scent of death on him, I knew it was his time.
I would say this would be a very interesting subject to take further. I know that animals are very keen on sensing things we prehaps cant not see. A great story BTW, and it was a good read

I think its more of a personal thing and how in tune you are with what surrounds you in your life.

My father always tells me he can "smell" Death in the room. He said this the day my grandmother died. I'm not sure what to think.

The cat obviously knows they are going to pass and is trying to bring some comfort before the time comes.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
All I can say is if Oscar the cat came anywhere near me or my family, he would be renamed "Teriyaki". Just for being such a scary cat, I think that they should declaw him. That'll teach that evil cat!

Seriously, as previously posted, animals seem to have the ability to 'smell' sickness, and sense disasters and death that a human cannot. Interesting story.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I tell you that 'thing' is eating peoples souls.
It avoids people until right before they die, then it gets close to them and waits for the soul to leave the body, at which time the 'cat', if thats what it is, eats the soul.
Thats how come 'cats' have nine lives.
They eat souls dont cha know.

Down with cats.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join