It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Proposes Building Network of U.S. Informants

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

FBI Proposes Building Network of U.S. Informants

blogs.abcnews.com

The FBI is taking cues from the CIA to recruit thousands of covert informants in the United States as part of a sprawling effort to boost its intelligence capabilities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think Hitler did something like this...wasn't it the SS?

blogs.abcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Actually it was the Stasi secret police in the old East Germany that perfected informants.

Regarding the report that the FBI is now ("considering") widely recruiting in this manner, what can one say but, I'm not surprised?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
Actually it was the Stasi secret police in the old East Germany that perfected informants.

Ahh yes thank you...I knew it started with an "s"

But really why would the FBI make this public? Wouldn't it be smarter to have a SECRET network SECRET?

Of is this a "false flag" op like when Christmas holidays come around they always say they will have more cops on the road when the truth is there are less?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Gestapo... my god, the US is really, really, getting a dictatorship. Seriously. This news show how they used the guy who set up the gestapo system in western germany during the cold war.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The FBI is going back to an Old School pay. Once upon a time, J. Edgar Hoober...the original G-man himself...had a network of such informants that spanned the nation. during the 1950's and the Red Scare, such informants were in common use by State, Federal, and Corporate interests.

A few literary critics (who are now out of business) raked me over the coals for suggesting that such would be the norm in this country, but I am NOT the only ATS member who has seen this one coming. I can recall reading posts about just this sort of thing when I first got here. I remain hopeful that MORE of you will talk about this.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham

A few literary critics (who are now out of business) raked me over the coals for suggesting that such would be the norm in this country, but I am NOT the only ATS member who has seen this one coming. I can recall reading posts about just this sort of thing when I first got here. I remain hopeful that MORE of you will talk about this.

Well I for one wouldn't put it beyond them to use the current geopolitical climate to call for an increase in domestic spying...

So are you going to send your detractors this snippet preceded by a "Told Ya so!" ?...lol

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So what? Clinton dismantled our HUMINT capabilities; now they've got to be rebuilt. It didn't take a genius to predict this would need to happen. As a matter of fact, read the article:

The FBI said the push was driven by a 2004 directive from President Bush ordering the bureau to improve its counterterrorism efforts by boosting its human intelligence capabilities.

I'm surprised we don't have more broken arms here caused by people patting themselves on the back.:shk:

And it doesn't take a genius to guess where these folks will be recruited from, and where they will be placed, either.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Wow. I'm awe strucken by this article. Its a mirror image of Russia's KGB agents. What i want to know is what kind of information these 'informants' are going to extract, from where and from whom.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If the FBI is beginning a campaign to Promote Recruiting of informants... then rest assured that the apparatus is already in place
with field agents screening & evaluating an already established
stable of informants...

so, that poises the real question to address- - -
is this a public announcement to set the stage for public awareness
so 'Entrapment' clauses will become null rhetoric??

or does this action warn the US public that a crack-down is emminent
...so we're advised to keep the appearance that 'my nose is clean'

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
But really why would the FBI make this public? Wouldn't it be smarter to have a SECRET network SECRET?

Of is this a "false flag" op like when Christmas holidays come around they always say they will have more cops on the road when the truth is there are less?

Force multiplier. To scare you into being a "good" and "loyal" American. This form of PSYOP is very effective and much cheaper than ever lifting a finger - just do a press release LOL.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I don't know. I don't understand why we'd let that info out in the first place. It reminds me of that other piece of news being blasted all over the MSM today - the fact that terrorists are conducting dry runs at airports. I mean, If I were in charge, I'd let them continue their dry runs, and maybe in the process they'd lead me to a cell or two in the US...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
So are you going to send your detractors this snippet preceded by a "Told Ya so!" ?...lol

To be totally honest, I don't bother trying to reach my detractors. I will respect their decision to disagree with me, and let it be. As long as i stay sharp, eventually I will be more successful han I am today...and that in and of itself will change some of those contrary minds. We shouldn't blast the people who disagree with us. Let the truth speak for itself, when all else fails.

Originally posted by jsobecky
I'm surprised we don't have more broken arms here caused by people patting themselves on the back.:shk:

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. We might be capable of predicting stutff like this, but we're not happy about it. I for one would be just as happy to be wrong. We don't want what's comeing. I, for one, am glad that we're not high-fiving each other.

Any network of informants run by the Federal government will need some sort of protection for their snitches, right? Fox News reports the following:

Fox News
Sept. 11 Security Bill to Include Protections for Citizens Who Report Suspicious Activity

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

WASHINGTON — After nearly a week of intense, behind-the-scenes wrangling, congressional negotiators late Tuesday agreed to include in the pending Sept. 11 security bill sweeping liability protections for citizens who report suspicious activity they fear might be linked to terrorism.

The provision is meant to address the so-called "Flying Imams" case, wherein six Muslim clerics sued passengers aboard a Northwest flight in March who reported them to authorities, leading to their detention. The clerics were cleared but their lawsuit, many lawmakers feared, would discourage future vigilance among the flying public.

The Sept. 11 bill is a top Democratic priority and Republicans fought hard to include the passenger immunity protection, creating common cause with Connecticut Independent Joe Lieberman, chairman of the conference committee knitting together the House and Senate bills designed to implement unfulfilled security recommendations of the Sept. 11 commission.

The bill was expected to swiftly pass the House and Senate and be signed into law by President Bush.

"This much-needed measure is critical in the effort to confront the significant threats posed by Al Qaeda and other terrorists and protect the American people. I want to thank Reps. King and [New Mexico Republican Steve] Pearce for their leadership on this issue and their efforts to make America safer."

An ATS member has already started a thread on the article you just read.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Justin Oldham]

[edit on 26-7-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

- the fact that terrorists are conducting dry runs at airports.

WHAT?

Thats a fact is it?

If there were indeed 'terrorists conducting dry runs', dont you think they would have been arrested?
NO we'll just document this 'dry run' and let the 'terrorists' go on about their daily business.

The TV tells you that a grandmother brought a couple of blocks of cheese on a plane last year, which the screeners caught, and dear God we have terrorists doing dry runs.
ITS A FACT, IT WAS ON TV.

Did you ever think that maybe the TSA embellished the truth to make it sound like they are actually earning their money?
Did you ever think that maybe the media is hyping the story for sensationalism?
Did you ever think that the 'dry runs' could just be fabrications?
I mean, they havnt arrested anybody, and the terror alert level hasnt changed. Why hasnt it changed? Whats it for?

Heed to my every word, LIVE IN FEAR.

There are terrorists all around you. They are doing 'dry runs' and photographing national landmarks.
Those that are not terrorists are actually FBI informants.
Trust NO-ONE, fear EVERYONE.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
lol yes that is a fact,go read news articles.If they were arrested or not im not sure,obviously they should have been.

I think anyone who keeps up to date on the news and the pulse of the world could have seen this coming.And many of us see a lot more on the way,i just hope we are wrong but that is unlikely in my opinion.

And im not talking about reptilians and crap of course.But yea it does not take a great mind to see what is unfolding right infront of our eyes.It's not in secret anymore they do it right infront of us.I mean hell you barely have to look,it comes to you,yes even through fox news.

And i think the guy above me took it to a extreme,the FACT is there are terrorist and they do want to kill us.Not saying we did not or will not let them or help them kill us but the fact is they are real.And we should have fear,but a healthy level of fear.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

- the fact that terrorists are conducting dry runs at airports.

WHAT?

Thats a fact is it?

Neither you nor I know whether it is a fact whether terrorists are scoping out the airports, the train terminals, or the docks. Nor do we know whether they are planning to use our porous borders to their advantage.

What I do know is that denying that it happens or could happen, and instead blaming it on a fear propaganda campaign by our gov't, is quite naive.

< snip >

Heed to my every word, LIVE IN FEAR.

There are terrorists all around you. They are doing 'dry runs' and photographing national landmarks.
Those that are not terrorists are actually FBI informants.
Trust NO-ONE, fear EVERYONE.

You can live that way if you want to. It seems that you really are afraid of the gov't.?Me, I'll just go about my business.

I'm surprised we don't have more broken arms here caused by people patting themselves on the back.

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
I think a lot of us are in the same boat. We might be capable of predicting stutff like this, but we're not happy about it. I for one would be just as happy to be wrong. We don't want what's comeing. I, for one, am glad that we're not high-fiving each other.

Self-promotion and puffery have always made me cringe.
Something I just have to deal with, I know.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
^^ well according to every major media its a fact.And i have seen 0 evidence to the contrary but have seen airport reports supporting the claims.I would call it fact that it happend.

Wether or not we had a part in it will never be known,but this is no reason to say no one knows if its a fact.One can assume absolutely everything that ever happens was because the goverment but thats not accurate.So with your way of thinking we can never know if anything is fact........

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Well there is certainly a need for more human intel after 9-11 and the Iraq WMD fiasco. I do understand peoples concerns without any safe guards or oversight such an measure could be used to spy on political opposition and other civic groups.

Make no mistake we cant afford to give up human intel gathering but in the current climate of anyone who disagrees with Bush is the enemy such a measure seems to far to open to abuse.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

You can live that way if you want to. It seems that you really are afraid of the gov't.?Me, I'll just go about my business.

Remember this one, folks? It's what happens when the people become the enemy of the state.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

And I'd take a really good look at the antics of the German Democratic Republic before I sought out a comfort zone, here.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I agree Xpert this another move to separate one side of the population against the other.

One side backing everything the Bush administration does against the other that wants this administration to be over with.

Perhaps sounds like nothing now and just speculation and conspiracies.

But give Bush another 9/11, he will put together all the bills and laws he has been signing and then the US informants Network will work very well for him.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join