It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned Member Inquiry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What's the big deal about being civil? I mean, I'm a cranky old fart, but I can manage it 95% of the time. And yes, I got a warning once for a post that went beyond being civil. I deserved it. I wrote something in anger that I should have went after a beer before posting.

So I've seen some folks with two or more cute little red stickers. They were slow learners. That's what the red warn label is for, so that you see it often enough to remind yourself to not get testy. Even when people really ask for it.

this place is worth following a few reasonable rules to have somewhere of this quality. I can put up with not getting to spew my anger when I boil over, if it means I have a place to learn and express ideas whenever the mood strikes me.

Besides, I'm afraid Mirthful Me will sic one of those evil avatars on me some dark night if I get too bad.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I have to be very honest and say i have been here ALMOST a year, will be my first ATS anniversary on Tuesday (thank you thank you) and I admit that i have been warned once before in the not too distant past and have had points deducted; BUT, i understood that i let something get too personal and i apologized. The point is that it did not make me angry having the points deducted, i am level headed (ok most the time) and i deserved the warning and the 500 point deduction but ALSO, i have received applause from the moderators and got points back and then some. Now the reason i said i wanted to be very honest is because i have joined forums before and lose interest in the first month. I make a point of logging on here everyday and i should be working but hey, i like to spend quality time somewhere

I think this an absolutely fantastic site and the job the mods and owners do is commendable and the highest of standards that is maintained is worth the effort which makes it what it is and is a proven recipe for success.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
If someone asks a question that can only be responded with a snappy answer.....I guess I should just ignore the post and move on. But aren't posts, even negative ones, only making the topic it was posted on more popular? On other boards, often times my opinions do end up being more like insults I guess, but maybe they wanted....or needed to hear what I had to say.
For instance, if someone says suicide is the answer to all of lifes problems, and I say something along the lines of that comment being totally stupid, and that they need to be locked in a padded room for seeking the attention....and feedback....from people on said board.....is that really one step closer to being banned?
I guess an insult is an insult even if it is used to deter someone from attempting suicide(including cutting themselves for pleasure). If someone told me I was stupid for burning myself with a torch(which I don't do), I would spend a little more time defending my stupid belief in burning myself and a little less time actually burning myself.
Sorry, I am tired, and this is the result....pointless rambling....mostly just so I can get some points.....dunno how the whole point system even works yet.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by saintnuke
For instance, if someone says suicide is the answer to all of lifes problems, and I say something along the lines of that comment being totally stupid, and that they need to be locked in a padded room for seeking the attention....and feedback....from people on said board.....is that really one step closer to being banned?

Great question.

Saying that the comment is 'totally stupid' is perfectly fine and will not cause you any problems with the Terms and Conditions.

BUT

Saying that 'they needed to be locked up in a padded room', while still not against the rules, is getting close to a personal attack.

The difference is that the first was an observation on a comment made by another member, while the second was an observation on the member themselves.

The reason why the second is still not a personal attack is that 'a padded room for someone who is suicidal' is a reasonable means of protection for them.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Good call. I will try not to say things of the such to begin with, but I may have said something along those lines once already. I apologized and I don't think anyone was too insulted, being my like, third or fourth post at the time. I will try to offer more helpfull information so I don't make too many enemies, as alot of people can seriously generate anger in posts. Using those mean, angry faces like such

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
But when you see a warn sticker, and click on it, and it takes to a thread that "has been removed" it doesn't show an example of what not to do.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quasar
But when you see a warn sticker, and click on it, and it takes to a thread that "has been removed" it doesn't show an example of what not to do.

You know, your right about that, sometimes.
Depends on what was said.
The last warn I gave, was still visible...That is, until the poster edited out the racist comment.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I would say it simply comes down to the level of discourse.

For instance: If you wanted to hear a reasoned debate on, say, whether or not capital punishment is a deterent to homocide, would you want to see that debate on a show like Hannity & Colmes with their contentious guests getting into a shoutfest? Or, worse, on the old Morton Downey Jr Show? Or would you rather see that debate presented on something like Firing Line, with William F Buckley and/or Michael Kinsley moderating?

The shoutfests might be entertaining, but it's not the level of discourse that ATS wants to host.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by Tuning Spork]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join