It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Police States of America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Lately with everything going on in the news and all the discussions here in ATS I have been thinking about America becoming a police state. Now the way I envision it, it looks like something out of the V for Vendetta movie along with the Equilibrium movie. Now what would cause this to happen? How will someone be powerful enough to actually pull this off? How will this be allowed? Do we just sit back and let it happen while all our Rights are taken away?
Personally speaking I cannot see how one person can declare himself all-powerful over a nation that has been independent for so long. How can someone rise up be so powerful that they can declare everything that we have worked for obsolete? I see all the posts about how Bush is slowly going this way, and I see all the new laws in effect for this. But why is it happening and why are we letting it happen? Is the general public so blind that they cannot see that all the new laws now are just there so they can invade your privacy without cause?

Now here’s the main question I have for you today. Do you see the United States becoming an 'all-embracing, total state'. A police state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population, especially by means of a secret police force which operates above the normal constraints found in a liberal democracy. A police state that exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive. If so, how do you think it will come about? What will be the signs that it will happen? What will you do about it and where will you go? Will you go into the woods off the grid (if that’s even possible now a days), or will you unwillingly let them control you while harboring your resentment at home until it boils over?

Thank you for your time in reading this.
~Ghost~

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The police state is already here. There is nothing you can do. When people I know have called the mayor over "questionable" police actions he pretends that his hands are totally tied.

We are in a situation which must get much much worse before it gets better.

People will only WAKE UP once things get terribly bad.

Things have already gotten VERY bad but the TEEEEVEEEE doesn't cover it properly, so most people are unaware.

If the tv doesn't tell me it must not be true !

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Why does the US need police state tactics when the US is already arguably the most successfully repressed country in the world?

What would adding brutality to the equation really accomplish?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Out of all the people in ATS whose opinion I really want only 2 people replied to this? Does no one care or have answers to this?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well first off the United States was never a Democracy, it was and is a Democratic Republic

Where is this police state that everyone is talking about? Now granted, there are issues that I have with the current administration and the path that this country is going down but we are far from a police state. Where are all these people being repressed? I see none. Where have my rights gone? Why, they are still right here in my pocket!

Since the creation of this country and the inception of the constitution, there have been those whose always push the envelope and try to see how much they can take or push. Well, it is the duty of every citizen of the U.S. to be the thing that bumps back and says stop.

There has been a fight going on in the U.S. for over 200 years and it will continue until the end of this sometimes not so grand experiment. But a police state? Anything is possible but I highly doubt it.

Of course I am a bad, bad man for I am a skeptic. Oh wait, that's another thread...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply all.

I never said it was a police state those are the views of some of the people here in ATS. I stated do you think it will turn into one. Everyone has issues with whatever administration currently holds office. That is a fact. What I am stating is I am seeing less control for the people and more control to the governing power. When it should be “We the people”, but it is not. It doesn’t seem like the people have any choice in the matter. What I’m trying to do is see the views of everyone here. See where they stand what they think.

I guess I see a different view out of this over the majority here because:
1. I was not born here but my parents immigrated here when I was small and made this my home
2. I am not white I do not look white so I am treated differently here where I currently live (Eastern Tennessee)

As for being a skeptic. Hell I’m skeptic about a bunch of things so it’s all good.

new topics

top topics

join