It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elves and Santas Debate New X-Mas Date

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Elves and Santas Debate New X-Mas Date

www.dailynews.co.za

IN exactly five months millions of people around the world will celebrate Christmas … or maybe not.

If Santas and elves from Europe, Australia and Japan have their way, the date of Christmas could be changed from December 25 to either December 24 or even January 6 or 7.

This controversial topic was discussed this week at the 50th International Santa Claus convention at which 160 Santas and elves gathered in Copenhagen, Denmark.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.discoversanta.com
www.upi.com
www.earthtimes.org
www.capeargus.co.za

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Who's stolen Christmas?
Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Christmas Trees?
Al-Qaeda to explode 30 jetliners and trains in Europe on Christmas eve
The Twelve Days Of Christmas = Catholic Code!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
In what is sure to be seen as another assault in the alleged War on Christmas, now the very Santas and Elves that maintain the enterprise are debating a new date for Christmas. The economic implications aside, this controversy only underscores the fracturing of the Christmas Ideology into various factions, ranging from Orthodox, to Progressive, to Extremist.

Ever since the death of the previous Santa and subsequent replacement in 1994, Christmas has been facing a hard transition, and multiple hostile takeover attempts by snowmen, Jack Frost, and Global Warming. There was something about religious stuff too, but I wasn't really paying attention.

As outsourcing Christmas has taken on larger percentages of the trade, this gives foreign elves and santas the ability to unionize and impose trade restrictions of their own, including the date on which Christmas is observed.

What will come of this conference?
Will Christmas be celebrated early? Late? At all?
The world sits on the edge of their seats in anticipation.

www.dailynews.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This means WAR!!

I stood by and only protested when it was talk of the new North American Union. I was fearful of the new chip implants, and secured my hideaway just in case. I've even been known to wish for help from the stars over this global warming thing. But now it's gone too far!

Go ahead, mess with our minds, trick us with chinese lanterns and swamp gas, withhold cures for deadly desease, even shapeshift your way into the White House. But messing with Christmas is just wrong.

I won't stand for it. Show me who's responsible for this outrage, for I want an enemy I can attack on this issue. Just which elves are involved in this revolt? Which fake Santas are leading this?

This is a danger to our very way of life.

Is nothing sacred anymore? This will throw off the whole concept of the 12 days of Christmas. It will cause massive retail losses as people won't know when to spend money they don't have. Salvation Army bell ringers will lose donations because people won't know when to put on their Christmas spirit.

We must fight.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
NGC2736- Your post is sooo funny! I'm not sure exactly how serious You are with what You posted but I find it hilarious!!(If Your super serious I don't mean to offend You)On topic- it is a ridiculous idea.

Peace. K*
p.s. I find it so funny I've teared up. Thank You.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre
NGC2736- Your post is sooo funny! I'm not sure exactly how serious You are with what You posted but I find it hilarious!!(If Your super serious I don't mean to offend You)On topic- it is a ridiculous idea.

Peace. K*
p.s. I find it so funny I've teared up. Thank You.

Humor is best when you can't be sure if it was that or someone really ranting.

Yes, I was poking fun at an absurd idea. Glad to know I got to you.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
Show me who's responsible for this outrage, for I want an enemy I can attack on this issue. Just which elves are involved in this revolt? Which fake Santas are leading this?

THESE! These are your false Santas!

And here is their leader, Vibeke Larsen!

SHE is the antichrist...mas....

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Beh, who cares about Christmas..

One day for the family unit to exchange tokens of their "affection" for each other, with their hard earnt monetary denominations..

The very idea of christmas just turns me off from the modern world. "Yay, lets go spend some money on material freckin items that don't even matter.. YAY!!"

Christmas is a perversion within a perversion..

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Hey if Cindy Sheehan cannot get Bush impeached using 2 or 3000 protestors who in their right mind thinks this piddly group of 160 can change the date of Christmas???

I being of sound certified mind and body do hear bye declare them as nut cases, call the men in the white coats quick before they escape

[edit on 7/25/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Go ahead change the date, Not like millions of americans wont celebrate it on the 25th anywho, its called Habbit.

Easter bunny has been seen a thousand times being yer dad, mom, uncle jimbob or the bus driver?! lol but we still practice it with eggs and candy. Move the date you will just have these mistros jumpin to that beat and have the "normal" people follow thru with what xmas is about "Ttradition "

Btw, WTF! are these people really all dressed up in xmas atire debating like they were the super friends!

( all santas and elves lined up ) "next week folks, we will discuss the candycane death ray that is pointed at all the major cities in the world, we will bring global warming here faster so we will have a Global FREEZE and we all can celebrate Xmas ALL YEAR ROUND MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA " pass me that hot coco blixen."

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
How Christmas even got to be Christmas blows my mind. It's really a pagan holiday called Yule. If they really want to celebrate Christ's b-day, maybe they should look to change it to sometime in the fall?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yep, that's REALLY a photo of the conference, but I think it's from 2006's conference. And yeah, they really are trying to set international standards for Christmas. Think of them as the WTO, but for Christmas... The CTO, if you will...

And yeah, Closettrekkie, that and Candlemas, and Lughnassadh, and a LOT of miscellaneous holy days happen all right around the same time. It's because what is actually being celebrated is The Winter Solstice. Christmas was placed over these, because long ago, before Christianity spread about, they needed a way to transition people over easily. So Pagan temples got redecorated into Christian churches, and Pagan holy days got stamped over with Christian holidays, and the collective populace gave a collective "meh" and went along with it.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So could we call Christmas a great conspiracy? Get Christ's true religion all screwed up with the pagan teachings he so strongly opposed and convince the masses that they are doing what Christ wanted when in actuality they are all committing a great abomination?

I guess it's not just Christmas - how about that wonderful little holiday that honors Ishtar and all those little phalic symbols like bunnies and eggs?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'll always celebrate Christmas on the 25th December no matter wut fake santas and elves say..... Has always been that way in the UK for years, an no elve or fake santa is gonna change it so

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is a joke, right?

*sigh* better not leave a one liner.

So Christmas has been celebrated on Dec 25 for how many years? I think somebody needs to invest in a cordless screwdriver to tighten the screws in their heads.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Mekanic]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
So could we call Christmas a great conspiracy?

Well, actually, yes, you could say that it was, in fact, a conspiracy.

See, the deal is, countries converted to Christianity, not the actual people in them. Most of the people in Europe were still pagans in practice. It was only the Kings and Queens that converted, generally for political reasons. If all the countries surrounding you are Christian, and you're not, then conversion is a good way to ensure they won't attack you first. It's a lot like a cannibal tribe. As long as there's non-tribe members to eat, you're still safe, so it's a good barrier.

But the people still did pagan worship because most people didn't give a lick about politics or the aristocracy. They were a lot more concerned with surviving till the next day if they were poor, or business matters if they weren't. Most people would go their whole lives without ever seeing the King, even from a distance.

But then the Church realized they couldn't get enough money from the Kings alone, and that there was a lot of untapped wealth sitting around with the nobles. So the nobles had to convert, but their tithing money had to come from somewhere, so the populace were encouraged to convert.

At first, they tried erecting new churches/cathedrals/etc... but no one bothered attending. I mean, you spend your whole life worshiping a certain way, you're not going to change your religion overnight just because there's a new temple in town, right? So the clergy opted instead to try mergers.

"Yeah, you know that god you've been worshiping this whole time? We worship him too, only we call him Jesus. Since we're already brothers in faith, I tell you what. You start using our names for the dieties instead of yours, and we'll chip in to buy some new digs for this place and provide you protection as well."

That was the nice way to convert. The not so nice way generally involved surrounding villages with rings of soldiers, setting the houses ablaze, and killing anyone who tried to flee, with the rather cavalier attitude of "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out."

Anyway, during this conversion process, Candlemas (et al) becomes Christmas, Ostara (Ishtar) becomes Easter, Samhain becomes All Saint's Day, and so on and so forth.... The names are even kept similar, so as not to confuse those of an illiterate or simple life (which were most of everyone).

Since most people couldn't read, they learn their traditions based off of whatever everyone is doing, and in less than 2 generations, it was as if there'd never been anything but the Christian Church.

Yeah, Christmas has a bit of a murky past.

But that's beside the point! Christmas isn't about religion, it's about X-Box 360 games, candy, Santas, Elves, Reindeer, and Ham. Sweet, sweet ham. And seeing an attack upon that gets my ire up. I love ham.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Libra, I have to agree with you there - I make a mean ham for x-mas. And thanks for the history lesson!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Libra
Excellent stuff

I seem to recall reading something about the census and the timescales involved in the birth story, and it came to the conclusion that Christ was actually born around about the 23rd July if I recall correctly.

The pagan feast on the shortest day of the year, when candles were lit to herald the start of days getting lighter and longer was absorbed into christinaity for Christmas.

new topics

top topics

join