It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rupert Murdoch owned Myspace takes censorship to unprecidented levels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
'Fox News owned' Myspace is blocking Truthers from linking things inside their own profiles. This includes external links and get ready for this... links to their own blogs inside Myspace.

I figured this out first hand recently as I tried to completely redo my profile after too long of neglect.

They implemented their "solution" to profile comment spammers several months ago. It's an offsite service named "msplinks", and what it does is automatically converts all links that show up in a profile into their msplinks format. The procedure doesn't simply apply to the comments posted, no, it even affects your own links that you include in your profile. With the press of a key they can disable any link they choose and the change affects every user within the Myspace-ignoramous-driven reality. They say 'no' to a site or a link, and it's game over.

I was forced to notice as the links to my own blogs were being blocked as I was beginning a total remodeling phase. It is literally blocking the resource pages to my 2 released videos: iXo and TWYS. The iXo page is a myspace blog, while the TWYS page is an offsite page that functions as a dedicated TWYS reference page (95% to my myspace blog post) and nothing more.

They're blocking most other links I try including Myspace blogs. During my moments of clarity on this issue I'm learning how other active bloggers have been being shafted in the same way and even forced to resign their roles in active bloggership at Myspace. Perhaps this issue has been covered here or elsewhere but I havent even seen it mentioned in my Myspace blog subscriptions -which cover the entire spectrum- or anywhere else.

This is an unprecidented outrage. I'm forced into ushering a "noob" profile despite being a filmaker with almost 600 blogs to link in:
www.myspace.com...

[edit on 25-7-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
'Fox News owned' Myspace is blocking Truthers...

Don't you think this could POSSIBLY have something to do with the fact that MySpace is buggy, poorly coded, and riddled with serial spammers?

There is not a day, practically, that goes by where something isn't either malfunctioning or else under repair. I understand how frustrating it can be (Once, my band's profile VANISHED, never to return. I had to create the WHOLE thing over from scratch!) but I don't think it has to do with any kind of censorship...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I had a Myspace account for a few months. It seemed thoroughly useless to me. Then when I learned it was owned by Murdock, I uncerimoniously deleted my account. Good riddance.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
MySpace has really become a joke IMO. Why so many still use it or still think "it's cool" is beyond me. IMO it has become a child's playground and thus anyone who has any kind of serious blog they want to show shouldn't even be using MySpace as their means to deliver.

It at one time was a nifty idea to me, (just as AOL "was"), it was new and different and did bring the whole "public profile" idea to an amazing concept online, but in todays age of the infamous blogging idea all who do feel the need to jump on the ban-wagon of blogging should be looking elsewhere to post their ramblings. With the cheap cost of having your own domain name and own web-site now-a-days the serious blogger should make the minor investment and avoid the MySpace spyware, viruses and spam it seems it has gotten more famous for giving instead of having to deal with MySpace "rules censorship and now link control" it now has that only seem to get worse.

It seems MySpace thinks it's such the poo that it can do what ever it wants, (and it does), to the desperate in need of a free place to blah blah blah to the world ... I mean blog blog blog.

You pay for what you get,
Bzzzzzzz

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I learned how to write HTML and CSS code. These are the two languages most used to build webpages and make them look how you want them to.

With HTML and CSS, you can make a beautiful page in an hour or less.

To do so with MySpace, you have to figure out how to hack around all their inane crap without breaking browser support, which takes days. Yuck.

Until I take the time to figure it out (which will probably be never) I'll just "settle" for a website of my very own, along with facebook, LJ, etc. to fill in any gaps.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzingOn
MySpace has really become a joke IMO. Why so many still use it or still think "it's cool" is beyond me. IMO it has become a child's playground and thus anyone who has any kind of serious blog they want to show shouldn't even be using MySpace as their means to deliver.

...With the cheap cost of having your own domain name and own web-site now-a-days the serious blogger should make the minor investment and avoid the MySpace spyware, viruses and spam it seems it has gotten more famous for giving instead of having to deal with MySpace "rules censorship and now link control" it now has that only seem to get worse.

Unfortunately MySpace is something of a necessity for a gigging musician. The social networking aspect and huge number of users makes it more useful than a website, indisputably. I want to hate it, but I have to admit it's the single biggest tool I have for getting new exposure for music, setting up shows, and promoting gigs.

I'm not an blogger so I can speak of it in that context.

Anyhow, MySpace is notoriously buggy, I mean, there's pretty much always SOMETHING broken at a given time, but I see very little evidence of bona fide censorship.

I have a show tonight that I've been trying to post about but the bulletins have been down a lot of late, which sucks. I've had nightmare with the server not letting me upload songs. And as I said I once lost my whole account for no reason... but this hasn't led me to believe Big Brother is trying to censor my band.

It HAS led me to believe MySpace is a poorly coded, badly-designed POS... but that's a seperate thread, right?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
For a few weeks in June and early July, there were numerous discussions going on (within the Myspace community) about mainstream media censorship of Ron Paul and the lopsided coverage of his campaign and his performance in the debates. Well, after one of Myspaces "anti-spam upgrades", all of the sudden any bulletin I tried to post with the words "Ron Paul" in the headline got deleted, or more accurately, didn't post at all.

Quite a few folks were having this problem and we finally hit on a semi solution-- in place of the name 'Ron Paul', we would put a space between some letters like: 'R on P aul'. And guess what? The bulletins went thru just fine!!

I think it was decided that some kind of anti-spam program was automatically deleting anything with his name cuz, you know, all his supporters ARE just spamming computer programs. LOL.

Just thought I'd share my experience. What could be percieved as censorship could just be bad programming. Whatever it was has been resolved.

top topics

join