It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: HIV-infected babies can be saved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
hosted.ap.org...

HIV-infected babies given antiretroviral drugs in the first weeks of life were four times more likely to survive than those left untreated, raising hopes that more young lives can be saved, new research suggests.

The trial, involving 377 babies between 6 weeks and 12 weeks old, started in July 2005 in Soweto and Cape Town. Of those given the drugs early despite no sign of illness, 4 percent died over a 48-week period compared to 16 percent in the group where treatment was delayed until the babies showed signs of disease.

These results seem promising. The only problem I really have, is the fact that these babies were injected with the drugs before trouble signs occured, which means many healthy babies were administerd drugs without even needing them. According to the article though, after the study the World Health Organization stated that these drugs are not to be administered untill signs of a weakened immune system occur.

Hopefully these children will not experience any side effects later in life, they will be studied for the next three years. Any thoughts?

[edit on 7/24/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
As long as every possible test was done before administering the drugs, I don't have a problem with it. I am glad that this treatment is available, though. Gives those poor kids a fighting chance at life.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hmm. Choose between an early death, and a life stuck on aids cocktail drugs.

Personally, i'd rather die as a baby.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Not to sound cruel here but to what end? The infant does not succumb early but rather requires a life time regime of antivirals?

Unless these drugs are avalible to everybody poor children will simply be delaying the enevitable IMHO.

new topics

top topics

join