It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain is protecting the biggest heroin crop of all time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Britain is protecting the biggest heroin crop of all time

www.dailymail.co.u k

Our economic achievement in Afghanistan goes well beyond the simple production of raw opium. In fact Afghanistan no longer exports much raw opium at all. It has succeeded in what our international aid efforts urge every developing country to do. Afghanistan has gone into manufacturing and 'value-added' operations.

It now exports not opium, but heroin. Opium is converted into heroin on an industrial scale, not in kitchens but in factories. Millions of gallons of the chemicals needed for this process are shipped into Afghanistan by tanker. The tankers and bulk opium lorries on the way to the factories share the roads, improved by American aid, with Nato troops.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
What is the cut that the coalition forces are getting ?
Are the western forces turning into the biggest drug pushers on the planet ?
Have they always been ?

How can any politician in the with a normal brain justify this kind of action ?
Unless they are getting a cut, a big piece.

I mean, anti drugg campaigns on one hand and the biggest harvest ever on the other, hmm

www.dailymail.co.u k
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Im not suprised considering drug trades are one of the highest income's to the government's of the world...-_-

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

What is the cut that the coalition forces are getting ?

Lol! That's what I was thinking.

It's funny how you found this story OP. Earlier today somebody started a thread about having first hand knowledge of something.......... and as a matter of fact I'm still not sure what the OP was getting at. However from what I did gather ,it involved Heroin smuggling, trading, ect.. at the government level. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nice find

link   
Attempting to cover this story here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

brill

link   

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Well, first of all I'd caution you with the source since it's the Daily Mail - a notoriously biased right-wing tabloid. The quality of journalism in British tabloids is dubious in many cases, I'm afraid.

Secondly, there is method to the apparent madness of letting Afghan farmers grow poppies for heroin. Without them, they'd have nothing and they would be more likely to support the Taliban if NATO forces started destroying their only source of income. Britain has learned this the hard way in the past, and I think drawing on our experiences from other conflicts and our former colonies is a good idea - winning the hearts and minds of locals is absolutely essential for operations in Afghanistan to be successful.

It's a difficult balance - what's more important? Stopping drugs or stopping the Taliban/al-Qaeda? Which is more harmful to society? Perhaps I've put it in terms which are too black and white, but I think it illustrates the dilemma we face.

What our troops need to start doing is going after the drug barons who run the factories and intimidate the farmers into growing poppies in the first place. We should also start encouraging them to either sell the poppies to reputable companies for a fair price to use in morphine (see this letter) or, rather than growing poppies, switch to other crops. I recall reading somewhere that mint would be even more lucrative than poppies, but farmers fear reprisals from drug lords if they switch crops. Will try to dig up where I read it.

[edit on 24/7/07 by Ste2652]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I am sure that heroin killed more people than the taliban ever did.

What is worse taliban or school kids overdosing by the thousands.

Hard pick.

Im not so sure about how evil the taliban are, but i am sure how evil heroin is.

This is the largest harvest ever recorded the figures come from the UN not just that news paper.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Typical that a topic gets hardly any response.
Specialy from those pro "war on terror" people who support this war in Afganisthan.

Strange do, some people die from terrorist attacks and every one gets mad, millions die from heroin overdose supplied by the western armies, and no one talks about it !?

I realy just dont get this

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So this is how the world closes their eyes.

No comment what so ever !?!?

Same people that support these wars on drugs supporting the war on terror.

Classic example of a double standard.

top topics

join